WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:8
please tell us about the type and brand of camera
you use to take pictures of watches (and everything else)

diver88:001_smile:

·
Premium Member
24,995 Posts
:8
please tell us about the type and brand of camera
you use to take pictures of watches (and everything else)

diver88:001_smile:
Nice thread start Terry! :thumbup1:

I'm a Canon guy and have been shooting for nearly 10 years with Canon digital equipment, begining way back with my first Canon digital point and shoot - the G3, then the Digital Rebel, followed by the 20D. I then boght the Canon Rebel XTi as a travel/backup body, and just got the Canon 40D as my studio body. I have to admit that the 40D is SERIOUSLY winning me over and I'm using the XTi less and less.

I shoot with mostly L series lenses, with the notable exception being the Canon 100mm macro prime I use for most of my watch photos.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I'm a Canon shooter myself. I used Nikon film gear for years, then Fuji FinePix digital SLR's that used Nikon glass, but I switched to Canon digital cameras about 5 or 6 years ago. Haven't looked back. I currently use 5D bodies and Canon 20mm, 85mm, 100mm macro, 24-105 f/4 "L" and 70-200 f/2.8 IS "L" zoom lenses.

For my "carry around" camera I really like the Canon "G" cameras. I just got my third one - the G9. Excellent cameras with most of the "pro" features I like, superb fit & finish - and it fits in a pocket.

-Ben

·
Premium Member
6,208 Posts
Pentax K100D digital SLR - good camera for the 'poor' photographer. I started off in '89 with a Pentax SF7 SLR, so have kept a couple of PK & PKAF lenses to use with the new one. Just upgraded a couple of months ago, so still learning the ins & outs of the new camera. Hopefully the posts will improve as I get the hang of it :)

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
I shoot with a Canon 40D (gripped), with a 20D backup.

As for lenses, I use Canon "L" lenses primarily (along with aCanon 85mm f/1.8), although I'm a big fan of Sigma lenses, as well. The Sigma 17-70mm and 50-500mm are currently in my bag.

WARNING!!!! THE FOLLOWING LINK IS NOTHING BUT A PITIFUL ATTEMPT AT SHAMELESS SELF-PROMOTION

This is my main focus (pun intended) of my photography:

OnStage Photography

·
Registered
7 Posts
camera

i use a phase one back mounted to a cambo 4x5 with a back that i made just for shooting rings and watches the lens is a nikkor 120 macro ed am
my web page is kellyshieldsphoto.com

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I started with a simple Kodak Easyshare 6.1mp DX7630 point and shoot.Could not get close enough for decent watch close ups.Then this past summer bought a Fuji S9100 9mp.
This was a step up but broke the USB-Port 2 month later.When I finally decided to pay
for the repair[Fuji does not warranty out side of camera repairs]Got it back last month and computer died so no pictures were taken untill new computer came 3 weeks ago.Now
camera seems not to be focused correctly.When I get around to taking more photos after resetting camera I will see if its my poor skill or the camera.All in all I would not recommend the Fuji but suggest to step up to a Cannon xti or Nikon x40 or 80.You will be much happier and the camera can grow with your skill level.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
For most purposes these days, I use a Canon EOS 30D with a variety of lenses, including macro, and a small Canon PowerShot S3 IS, which has a super-macro mode and image stabilization. I retain most of my collection of film cameras, some stretching back to the 1950s, and still use them from time to time.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Canon

Gee, you ask the question as if there is an option?

I have been using Canon since about 1985.

I started with an AE-1p, then on to the New F-1, which I used until just a few years ago, when I switched to the EOS-1v film camera. I currently still own two of the three 1v's I've had (you still can't beat film) and most recently I picked up a used EOS-1d digital that I am VERY happy with.

I also have a 'disposable' camera which is also a Canon, and has also been published: the Canon PowerShot SD-200. Cranked to full size and highest resolution, it can do a 1-page magazine photo. It's about the size of a pack of cigarettes too, so it tends to be a bit more clandestine than a 1d with a 24-70 on it...

The next body I buy will be the EOS-1d III, as it has the speed I need, the ruggedness and water resistance I have with my 1v and 1d, and a high enough pixel count for full two-page articles that I can't do with razor sharpness with the 1d.

Lenses are all 'L' glass, with the exception of the 15mm/2.8 fish-eye.
14/2.8L
15/2.8 fish eye
24-70/2.8L macro
135/2L
70-200/2.8L

You don't realize how much better the L lenses are overall (not just the images) until you compare them side-by-side. Build quality, fit, finish and function are all better. The focus motors are faster and quieter as well, which is nice for not spooking animals (but the shutter is still a problem...)

I can live with a lesser camera and have more watches, but I make a fair amount of money with this gear, and can (slightly) offset the purchase cost of my camera 'toys' with my magazine income.

Now, if I can just get them to pay me on time...:001_tt2:

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
Well I started photography back in junior high. USed a Minolta x-370 (actually still have it!) with several lenses. I even won a local newspapers award for one photo in 8th grade... :thumbup1: Shot alot of black & white landscape pictures back then. I think I had about 10,000 negatives.... Still have them - somewhere... :confused1:

Moved on to a few Minolta Maxxum's in high school & college, then fell out of photography for awhile due to time.

Moved into digitals with a few Kodaks, and have a Pentax underwater digital I love...

Bought a Nikon D80 last year & love it. Had it exactly a year, have charged the battery 2, maybe 3 times and have well over 4,000 pictures from it so far. Currently just 2 lenses, the stock 18-135mm and a 50mm 1.8-22. Also want to add a 105mm macro. :thumbup1:

·
Premium Member
24,995 Posts
I shoot with a Canon 40D (gripped), with a 20D backup.

As for lenses, I use Canon "L" lenses primarily (along with aCanon 85mm f/1.8), although I'm a big fan of Sigma lenses, as well. The Sigma 17-70mm and 50-500mm are currently in my bag.

WARNING!!!! THE FOLLOWING LINK IS NOTHING BUT A PITIFUL ATTEMPT AT SHAMELESS SELF-PROMOTION

This is my main focus (pun intended) of my photography:

OnStage Photography

Wow....nice selection of lenses. How much does that Sigma 50-500 run? :crying:

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
I've tried using a Kodak EasyShare C613 that I use for work and the closeups were not acceptable. I use a Canon Digital Rebel XT.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well at least I won't be the only Nikon guy on this pro Canon board :001_tongue:

I starting photograph maybe 14 years ago with my fathers Olympus OM-1 mostly in B&W developing my own stuff in the high school lab. After high school I didn't get back into the hobby until 3 years ago with a D50. Now I shoot with this

Nikon D200 with MB-D200 grip
Sigma 10-20mm
Sigma 17-70mm macro (watch lens)
Sigma 100-300mm f4
Nikon 50mm f1.8
Nikon 85mm f1.4
Nikon SB-600
Gitzo tripod with Arca swiss ball head

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Wow....nice selection of lenses. How much does that Sigma 50-500 run? :crying:
I think it lists for about a grand. I got it, attached to a 20D, for $1,400.00.

I just wanted the lens, but I couldn't pass up the package deal!

1 - 20 of 99 Posts