WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For me, Bedat and Clerc.
Great quality and wa-a-a-y under even most watch geeks' radar.
The downside is the parts thing if they ever break.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Hmm.

Well I'm on board with CLERC although newer editions are out of my range.
I love my C.

I think your question could be expanded to say "What underapreciated brands
do you like?" That's easier for me because I like Ebel, RW, Longines and Gevril.
There is a limit to the # of watches I will own so I'm kinda screwed cause I want them all. I was at the Mall a couple weeks ago and looked at some of the new Raymond Weil. While I did not like them all, I challenge anyone to go look at them and then tell me honestly that RW is not producing some very nice watches.
The new Longines sport watches are very nice. I just don't understand why so many WIS turn their noses up at them and other brands like Cartier, Corum, Concord etc.

I mean really, is Omega et al that significantly better or is it just better marketing.

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
I guess it depends on who you're talking about for obscure. If you mean the public at large, than my IWC or Zenith. Love those brands.. No one outside WIS's ever heard of a Zenith watch. :001_unsure:

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I guess it depends on who you're talking about for obscure. If you mean the public at large, than my IWC or Zenith. Love those brands.. No one outside WIS's ever heard of a Zenith watch. :001_unsure:
You should check out an issue of Cigar Aficionado sometime. Zenith runs two or three full page ads in each and every one.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
For non-WIS, every brand except Rolex, Omega, Tag, Seiko, Citizen, Casio, and Timex.
My favorites are IWC, Ball, Stowa, Sinn, Oris.
Most of us recognize those brands, but few outside the watch community have ever heard of them (plus many others)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Definitely Longines! What a brand!! I feel as though Longines watches could reside in the upper tiers of watchmaking. But price allows them to be owned by people like us!!!

They've really got some of the greatest watches in the world if you ask me. Their dials alone are worth the bread.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I absolutely love my Ollech & Wajs. Over here Bell & Ross would be an obscure brand too (no AD afaik), and since I just love the Instrument series I'd have to say Bell & Ross too.

Even a Seiko automatic is as obscure as it gets over here. Very hard to get otherwise than online from abroad.

:thumbup: for the Internet!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
How about Christiaan van der Klaauw

http://www.klaauwwatches.nl/

How about a watch where the moonphase revolves almost like the real moon. Albeit that the watch is a little conservative for my purposes.
Only $19,500

How about that brand with the funky colored squigly zig zag hands? They almost look like toys. I suddenly can't remember their name though.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Pronto who make some of the prettiest dials I have ever seen along with Roamer(been around since 1888). I have several 2834 Roamer SR's and they are among my favorites however that particular model is now discontinued. I have a new Reactor trident that I like, with a few modifications, and I think few are aware of Reactor.

·
Registered
16,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How about Christiaan van der Klaauw

http://www.klaauwwatches.nl/

How about a watch where the moonphase revolves almost like the real moon. Albeit that the watch is a little conservative for my purposes.
Only $19,500

How about that brand with the funky colored squigly zig zag hands? They almost look like toys. I suddenly can't remember their name though.
If the dial said Dan instead of Don, I'd buy it!

:001_tt2::001_tt2:

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Du Bois et fils

At least not much seen in the U.S., but you see their ads in the tonier watch mags...photo is from the company website.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Amongst the lesser known brands I own are Revue Thommen and Ollech & Wajs. Interesting, I bought my Ollech & Wajs Ranger about 5-6 years ago and didn't expect much in the way of timekeeping but surprisingly it has performed quite well for me during that time, which I would rate as a positive surprise.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
My favorite under the radar brand is Glashütte Original. Stunning, handmade pieces that I feel are maybe equal to A. Lange & Sohne. Since traditional German watchmaking was in Glashütte, when Germany was divided it became East Germany. Under communism the industry was nationalized, quality fell, and they fell out of regard. Now, under the unified Germany both GO and A.L&S are fast becoming known.

·
Registered
16,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Concord doesn't get much respect. I am very attached to my vintage Concord, but I bought a Concord quartzie last summer and returned it. The fit and finish was decent, but I was floored that a $2000 MSRP watch had a snap-in case back. Unacceptable!

However, that was one of the models being discontinued. Concord has made a new push to improve quality and move upscale. I'm watching with interest

1 - 20 of 20 Posts