WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I recently came across a beautiful, but very unique 24-hour-one-hand watch from Botta Design, which kept my mind wandering off and thinking about special watches for a while. I have had some conversations with friends of mine about this topic, but unfortunately I don’t have so many watch-enthusiasts around me…the ones I asked only thought about smartwatches as unique and special, what hasn’t been what I was thinking about….
So I pass my question on to you: Do you like “special” or unique watch designs/concepts? What has been the most unique watch you have ever owned?

Thanks for sharing your stories and have a great day! :cool:

·
Super Moderator
15,560 Posts
Somewhere in the attic is stored a cockpit chronometer my father had rescued from a decommissioned B-17 Flying Fortress. It was about 3" in diameter with a Jaeger LeCoultre 8-day movement with a case made by Wittnauer.

But since disposable income necessarily governs the amount and uniqueness of watches in my collection, I'm limited to a
(1) a Hamilton Valiant
(2) a 50th Anniversary re-issue of the Hamilton Pacer (with a quartz movement.
(3) a Hilton Mystery Dial watch owned by my father

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A cockpit chronometer? That sounds so interesting! Cool, thanks for sharing :O

How is the time read in the last one? Is it shown by light maybe?

·
Super Moderator
15,560 Posts
Nope - not even close!
The Mystery Dial watches were introduced shortly before the invention of electric Bulova and Hamilton watches.

The Details:
  • There is no seconds indicator.
  • The lone rhinestone acts as the minute hand and circumnavigates the dial once every hour.
  • The rhinestone set on the reflector acts as the hour hand and circumnavigates the dial once every 12 hours.
  • Each rhinestone sits on its own CLEAR acrylic disc, one directly atop the other one.
*The watch reads as 3:07
* There were at least three other brand name "Mystery Dial Watches" (that I know of):
Louvic, Longines, and LeCoultre\Vacheron Constantin
* These watches originally came on leather straps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a lot of weird watches,but the one that came to mind first is nothing fancy or new.It has the concord as a sec hand.I was told these were a give-away back when the sst first was put into service.It is a cheap windup that still keeps spot on time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nope - not even close! View attachment 225430 The Mystery Dial watches were introduced shortly before the invention of electric Bulova and Hamilton watches.

The Details:
  • There is no seconds indicator.
  • The lone rhinestone acts as the minute hand and circumnavigates the dial once every hour.
  • The rhinestone set on the reflector acts as the hour hand and circumnavigates the dial once every 12 hours.
  • Each rhinestone sits on its own CLEAR acrylic disc, one directly atop the other one.
*The watch reads as 3:07
* There were at least three other brand name "Mystery Dial Watches" (that I know of):
Louvic, Longines, and LeCoultre\Vacheron Constantin
* These watches originally came on leather straps.
ooooh I see – I thought the rhinestone was a little lamp… 😅 Ok that’s a cool system, very interesting! Do you still wear it sometimes?

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Hello,

I recently came across a beautiful, but very unique 24-hour-one-hand watch from Botta Design, which kept my mind wandering off and thinking about special watches for a while. I have had some conversations with friends of mine about this topic, but unfortunately I don’t have so many watch-enthusiasts around me…the ones I asked only thought about smartwatches as unique and special, what hasn’t been what I was thinking about….
So I pass my question on to you: Do you like “special” or unique watch designs/concepts? What has been the most unique watch you have ever owned?

Thanks for sharing your stories and have a great day! :cool:
My most unique watch has to be my Lum-Tec Combat B41 24 Hrs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,560 Posts
@ faceyourfears - yes. As I mentioned, the Mystery Dial was inherited from my father, and I make sure it gets regular servicing. Right now, I have about 50 watches in my collection, and most are part of a regular rotation. I'd guess the Hilton gets worn every other Sunday. In fact, this past winter I picked up a spare Mystery Dial that I use as a parts donor (I've already used it to replace the dial and crystal).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@CometHunter: Wow 50 watches? That’s a good collection! o_O

@diver: That’s already unique as it is a 24 hour watch (at least to me that’s kind of special – I have only seen the ones from Botta so far), but then it also glows in the dark – pretty cool, my grandchildren would absolutely love this one! 😅

1 - 10 of 10 Posts