WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 20 of 802 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Love the Illinois, Greg!

I'm not sure what I'll wear. At this point I have so many that I often try to go for a theme for the week.

Last week, being a short work week, I did Matching or Integrated Bracelets, because I'd just finished fixing the Elgin Curtis, with integrated Hadley bracelet on the left. The Lord Elgin Stratford on the right had been fiished some weeks earlier, and had gotten the correct NOS JB Champion bracelet. That was Monday and Tuesday.

Wednesday was this unnamed Elgin Deluxe.

Maybe this week I'll do Elgin's American Made automatics. I'll start with my 607...

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Doug, we need to see more of you and your collection here.

Watches were downright expensive back them and it is amazing that you matched your watches to the ads.
A lot of my collection is already present in older threads! You just gotta look for it. Try searching on 'Theme'.

I'd observe that quality watches were quite expensive then, but they're still expensive now. Figure an inflation factor of about 10-fold for 1950 to today, and you get these watches selling in the $500-1000 range, which is about where you find Hamiltons and others now. Consider, though - for that price, you got a hand-assembled and timed, fully-jeweled mechanical movement, in a goldfilled case with a layer of gold thick enough to last through a decade or more of wear without brassing. Not so bad, considering!

One thing that HAS happened is that cheaper watches have gotten much, much better. First Timex and their durable and accurate unjeweled watches, and later quartz watches made it so you no longer had to choose between cost and accuracy. The cheapest $10 quartz watch is more accurate than all but the most expensive watches of the 1950s.

This is why I consider vintage American watches such a bargain. I often pick them up for less in 2013 dollars than they originally sold for in 1950 dollars! And they have years more life in them! They just need a little polishing, a new crystal and strap, and a real COA and they're good to go.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
This thread is just what this Forum needs!

Glad to see you all kicking up the wrist action a bit and showing em off!!!

Since we are in a multi color mood, here is a LE photo op for Doug and the boys...

A Little Dartboard Dial LE:

All these Elgins are making me want to go scour eBay : )

That, RJ is just an awesome looking LE.

And you are right, the forum does need a shot in the arm just like this

·
Registered
520 Posts
This thread is just what this Forum needs!

Glad to see you all kicking up the wrist action a bit and showing em off!!!

Since we are in a multi color mood, here is a LE photo op for Doug and the boys...

A Little Dartboard Dial LE:

I really like this LE, did they make them with these dial colors or was it re-finished? I might have to look for one either way.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I'm sad to say this, but I don't think that's at all original. The case appears to be that of the 17j Lakeside*, but the dial isn't a Lakeside dial, and AFAIK no Elgin ever carried a dial like that from the factory. The closest to that effect would be the Cranston, but it's a completely different shape and not divided as much, nor with the divisions separated by lines.

*See at p107

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I continued my Elgin's American Automatics theme yesterday with this 618:

and today with this 670, one of the Durabalance automatics introduced 8 years after Elgin gave up on the 607 and 618 Bumpers.

This was the first 760 I ever got, and still my favorite, with its 'Faux Pie-Pan' dial, and that stubby little seconds hand.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
I have that exact watch. Remember I thought it was a Lord Elgin because it had the American made auto in it?

I still look at that watch and think it is one of the classier Elgin dials for the period. In fact, I think the upscale look was part in parcel why I thought it was a LE.
Love the Bennie, Greg!

Today's watch rounds out the 'Elgin's American Automatics' theme, with my first working 761...

1 - 20 of 802 Posts