WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Gang... A little fun on Superbowl Sunday.
(No, Rick, you can't play!)

I thought I would break out the "pigskins" for the game!
(they are actually more of a snake skin!)

What am I?

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Purse watches? They have what looks like button to open them, and an apparent metal joint, but leather cover, which suggests they are likely completely covered.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Travel alarms?:confused1:

·
Registered
449 Posts
I seem to recall Greg showing me something like this at midwest and saying they were quite uncommon

Illinois purse watches? I don't remember the model name...comptoise maybe?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Caprice is correct. They are purse, handbag or desk watches that were cased in the Illinois factory. They came in the green and brown...so once again RJ has it covered! Once the case is opened it can stand flat on it's own. Do you have the wood box it came in too?

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Ultra rare caprice!!!

I remember the story of how you got one of them when you were out getting me cool stuff too.

Super cool pieces Greg, one of the cooler "purse" watches.

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Caprice! I'm not sure where I got Comptoise from :)
Yes Ben... This is the one I told you about at the Mart!

Caprice is correct. They are purse, handbag or desk watches that were cased in the Illinois factory. They came in the green and brown...so once again RJ has it covered! Once the case is opened it can stand flat on it's own. Do you have the wood box it came in too?
Look at you go WREN! Yes, they are super cool and they open up into a little watch... I wish I had the box!
It is hard enough to find one with the skin intact:wink:

Ultra rare caprice!!!

I remember the story of how you got one of them when you were out getting me cool stuff too.

Super cool pieces Greg, one of the cooler "purse" watches.
Thanks J!

What do we have here?

This example is 1 of 2 known in Green Snake Skin

And this is Brown Skin... hard to tell what kind...Ostrich?

Sparkle dials...Yes they are called "Capris!"

ENJOY Gang!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yes Ben... This is the one I told you about at the Mart!

Look at you go WREN! Yes, they are super cool and they open up into a little watch... I wish I had the box!
It is hard enough to find one with the skin intact:wink:

Thanks J!

What do we have here?

This example is 1 of 2 known in Green Snake Skin

And this is Brown Skin... hard to tell what kind...Ostrich?

Sparkle dials...Yes they are called "Capris!"

ENJOY Gang!
GREAT watches Greg. The dials on these models are usually very strong as they were in effect double protected. Plus, I do not recall if I put it in my book or not but a sub second hand can fit on one of those do-hickeys on the dial but I am not sure it was ever suppose to function as such. I think that Illinois would have put a sub- track on the dial if they wanted a sub-second hand.

BTW, it is very difficult to find a Caprice with its skin intact and this is the only one that I have seen in green. They are even difficult to find without their skin but those are also very nice because they have beautiful WGF outer cases.

Thanks
FJF

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
You know Rick, I came very close to owning a Carre, unfortunately I lost out for a few dollars in the end, but I wanted to get an awesome shot with the Illinois and the Carre, man that'd be cool to compare. Some of the coolest looking desk pieces out there. Even more rare to find them in tact! Thank goodness for people that care about their belongings.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts