WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a couple Wenger watches and like them but honestly don't know much about the company.
More importantly, if there are any issues to consider or models to avoid.
Anyone here have any experience or knowledge of the brand !

BTW, I'm new to the Forum!
Found it after picking up this Invicta...and coincidently, ordering two more which UPS says are to arrive by Friday!

Here are the Wengers I have!

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I have a couple quartz ones, and they are fine. The dial on the dressier one has a nice guilloche. Even the leather straps have held up better than I'm used to. Lume is nothing to get excited about, but ok. Overall, a fine watch, and great value for money.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What other brands, would the members here say, are they comparable to?

·
Banned
1,212 Posts
IMHO they put a so/so movement in a so/so case. I had one once and sold it. It's not a bad watch at all! In fact I love there styles and it's a good way to get a Swiss made watch at a good price.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Looks familiar, here's mine. This one flips a double date every night, lucky for me the date can be changed easily, other than I have no reason to fault it. A lot of members on the forum have them in

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Looks familiar, here's mine. This one flips a double date every night, lucky for me the date can be changed easily, other than I have no reason to fault it. A lot of members on the forum have them in

Huh! I'll be d---ed. I've never actually seen another one like mine.
When did you buy yours? I don't know whether to be proud or ashamed for what I paid for mine!
I bought it out of some mag / catalog called HeartlandAmerica or something.
It was some limited quantity type thing and got it for $49 plus shipping.
I bought it because I liked the look. Didn't know the brand or the deal I was getting at the time. That was 5-6 years ago.
I looked the company up but most companies have nothing but good things to say about themselves.
So after picking up a second one last year I'm glad to have a place like this to get some honest opinions.
Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Well, you' ve heard from two sides...

I'm of the opinion they are fine. That said, I have no desire to own one. Simply too many others to choose from in that genre...and thereinlies the problem. Each watch will stand on ots own merits, be they looks, style, movement, etc. After that, it's a greasy anti-gravity infused ladder that spirals you upwards on the cost sid eof the equation.

Years ago I liked what I liked. Today, there are too many watches I want and not enough time/money. ;)

Be warned. Liking watches can be an expensive hobby. Not as expensive as some other hobbies I've had, but keep a keen eye on your wallet or these little baubbles will pry it from your grasp.

I'd say you got a solid deal on a solid watch those many years ago - nice work. :)

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Huh! I'll be d---ed. I've never actually seen another one like mine.
When did you buy yours?
$49 and you still have it 6 years later I would say that you well got your value out of it.

I picked my one up second hand locally in Dublin and I believe that it was a model only released for the US market and brought back to Ireland by some holidaymaker. Wenger, Swiss Army, Victorinox all variations of the same company that make the Swiss Army Knife. A little bit of triva that I found out a while back was that the name "Swiss Army Knife" was created by US soldiers because they had trouble pronouncing the German variation which is "Schweizer Offizersmesser" or Swiss Officers Knife.

The use all Swiss movements in their watches and the real problem as already mention is as the prices go up in the range there is so much available in different brands and for some they become harder to justify the price.

Buy what you will enjoy wearing, no point having an expensive watch on your wrist just because someone else says that you should like it, first rule is to enjoy the hobby.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I have that same diver model too!

The black "enamel" in the bezel has cracked and popped out in places on mine, but that is from HARD use. I rarely take my watch off ... case in point, my T-touch is at Tissot getting a new crystal due to weld splatter - that one was pretty stupid ...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts