WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

WEIRD 214 on the bay

852 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  SAM2 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all, just getting into accutrons!

I was just cruisin ebay and found this weird accutron. 111068631815

anyone ever seen that crystal before? and why is he blocking the serial number??

#2 · (Edited)
What exactly do you find "weird" about it? The fact you can see the movement? That Accutron Spaceview is in all probability THE most iconic Accutron ever produced. That's the way it's supposed to look.

As for the hidden serial number. The seller did that for his and the watch's protection. Ebay is the #1 place for unscrupulous people to steal photos of legitimate watches and then use the photo to sell their own fake watches. we have seen this too many times to count.

Also, if an item is valuable enough, people have tried to copy the serial number, report the item as being stolen, and then scam an insurance company into reimbursing them for their "lost item".

#6 ·
I can understand your confusion. Do an images search with BING and you'll find:
1) small 'ACCUTRON' at the top
2) medium 'ACCUTRON' at the top
3) small 'ACCUTRON' at the 8
4) 'BULOVA ACCUTRON' at the 8
5) 'ACCUTRON' + the Bulova emblem at the 8

Maybe our Bulova expert(s) can explain it all.

#7 · (Edited)
Pardonnez mon français but when I looked at the listing, a red flag went up.

Translation:
For sale a watch Bulova Accutron Spaceview of the 1969 (M9) superb conditions (almost NOS) with her limps original. The watch works perfectly and its precision is impressive. It is about a watch which does not need presentation. Movement (cast by Max Hertzel) is enlivened by a diapason which wobbles in 300 Hz and generates characteristics sound of an insect, typical in this type of watch. The face is of origin and was subjected to no restoration. Boitier steel and gold filled. It is about a very rare watch to be found in this condition also by considering her limp original.

Something may have been lost in translation but I assume that "limps" translates to hands in English. Regardless, it is not hard to establish that the watch in question is a conversion. I could be wrong but the case looks a lot like number 2857 from our discussions of Railroad Approved models and it is not on the list of known Spaceview watches. It could have been a dealer conversion but the crystal is not a Bulova made part and I have not seen a reproduction Spaceview crystal done that poorly. Look at and compare the shape of the Accutron logo to any made by Bulova.
The seller didn't exactly say that the presentation box was original to the watch or that it was in "almost NOS" condition but I couldn't help noticing that it and the watch look like they may have survived a train wreck. Someone with more knowledge may want to comment on the box but to me, it looks like it would be later than 1969.

#9 ·
I have several of those boxes, one came with an N4 (1974) 214 spaceview cushion case factory spaceview. The source was pretty solid so I expect it may have been used at least in the Canadian market. I also have a 1977 218 that came with the same box. Anyone else have a 214 that came in that box?

#10 ·
I have a 219 that came in the same presentation box and my notes indicate that that style may have run from 1972 to 1977 but I remember seeing one with a watch dated N1. My watch is NOS but I don't have the outer box. I couldn't help noticing that the eBay listing (111068631815) shows the matching black and silver outer box.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.