WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

What is your opinion of watch winders?

• Not worth it, don't buy one!

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • A good one can be a good thing.

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Buy one, a good one is a very useful tool!

Votes: 4 33.3%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I am now the owner of one auto and another on the way I am thinking about watch winders. Already two people that have my respect when it comes to opinions have said they would not own one. That the watch needs to be worn to properly lubricate the mechanism.

Also, I know they can be very pricey. I have seen many models that were very cheap but I suspect they run loud and not for long before they are ready for the trash bin.

What say you? Are they worth it? And if so, which ones are worth having?:confused1:

Thanks for your input as I know nothing about them and I depend on what you can tell me.:blink:

·
Registered
16,743 Posts
Save your money.
The official jury is split on the value of winders - some say the movement hurts, others say it keeps 'em lubed. I prefer to wind my watches every week. Gives me time to play with 'em. The money you spend on a winder is better spent on a new watch! At least that's my opinion.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Here's what Chronocentric has to say:

http://www.chronocentric.com/watches/winders.shtml#need

My view is this. If you only have one or two automatics, why waste watch money on winders, if the movement can be manually wound or if you can wear the watches enough to keep them wound on their own.

We have people here on this board who say that having manual wind watches keeps them in touch with their watches in a way that is not possible with battery operated watches. That's an emotion I never actually felt when I was winding my watches back in the day when self-winding watches were too expensive for me, but if such a transcendental state can be achieved with a manual wind watch, then it can certainly be achieved with an automatic in the same way.

Based on what I read on Chronocentric and elsewhere on the internet, I say, for the time being save your money to buy watches and if hand winding ever becomes overly burdensome, you can then weigh the merits of a winder.

Aren't these pretty much the same thing?

A good one can be a good thing.

Buy one, a good one is a very useful tool!

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanx

With not one person really putting a good word out about winders, I feel another watch coming on instead of a winder.:lol:

·
Premium Member
24,978 Posts
Charlie - actually most of the guys I know (including myself) use winders.

Contrary to what you read in this thread, a winder will neither hurt nor necessarily help a watch movement. It provides the same wear a movement would see if it were consistently worn. They are however a huge convenience if you like to wear your watches and like them to have the correct time and date.

Here's a couple that I own:

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Merry Christmas to all:thumbs up::thumbup1::thumb up:
I totally agree with John they do not put any more wear and tear then if worn
Charlie like everything you get what you pay for.There are winders that go
on the bay for $25 and there are winders from some of our own sponsors
that cost more than a Grail watch.Here are the ones I use.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I can certainly see that winding three dozen watches every couple of days would get old quick, but the question was from one who now owns only one automatic and will probably buy another.

I have also read many a review of those $30 winders and the consensus is that they work great for a couple of months, then they go south, not to mention the noise they can make, although I don't see that as a insurmountable problem.

So, I stand by my previous opinion that one or two automatics should be more than manageable.

As I've said before, my protoplasmic electro-chemical winder keeps my 8926 wound pretty well and if I notice that it's losing time, a good winding on a couple of successive days does the trick.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hmmm. I keep four watches on winders. But, I switch often between wearing those same four watches so a winder just provides me with an easy way to keep them ready to go.

However, I think keeping watches, that are not often worn, on a winder does more harm than good. I see no sense in putting all that wear on a movement.

Then again, neither do I buy into the arguement that keeping the movement going spreads the lubricant around. If you have a watch with lubricant that pools with non-use...you either have a vintage watch that has not been recently serviced or a poorly lubricated watch.

Of course, to each his own.

·
Banned
5,421 Posts
I own 2 winders and rarely use either one.

If I have a watch that gains 5 secs a day and wear it every 2 weeks it will be off by over a minute off when I take it off the winder to wear-so I'm gonna end up setting it anyways!!

I have also read where the lubricant arguement isn't really valid .

·
Premium Member
24,978 Posts

John. the wooden one looks like a gorgeous piece of furniture! :thumbup1:
Is the built in clock receiving a signal from the gov't atomic clock?

It's a model Orbita no longer makes - the Quatro Executive. Yes, the digital clock in the lid synchs with the atomic clock radio signal. :thumbup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts