WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,379 Posts
Depends on the model you're looking at. Some go one way, some go the other way, some go both ways. Timezone did a nice general information recap on winders which I've included. It was back in 2000 so ignore any prices mentioned. Also, IDK which companies are still around or if any new ones have emerged, but the basic talking points are still the same.

A Bunch of Information on Watch Winders [3/00] - TimeZone

·
Super Moderator
15,379 Posts
Hey comet hunter were did you get your watch boxes i need more space for my watches.
I found mine on eBay. I was looking for storage (I don't "display" my stuff!) and they caught my eye. Right place at the right time. Those particular cases aren't available right now, and I could use another one, so I'm simply waiting (and hoping) for them to re-appear.

I can just store the watches on the winder with out actually useing it. what you think
You could- and if that trips your trigger, go for it. But I think the winders are rather superfluous (and costly) if you don't actually need them. I don't own any
mechanical perpetual calendar watches (just solar-powered Eco-Drives from Citizen) so I can't justify such an expense. I would say really take your time and see what (enter: Watch Storage) boxes the bay has to offer. If you don't see anything that better suits your needs, then get the one you are already considering. It does have nice features for the price!

·
Banned
28,406 Posts
There are some inexpensive watch winders at Brookstone.com, which are well-reviewed on Google:
Watch Winders for Rolex, Tag Heuer, Omega & More

Anybody ever tried these?
I had one. It worked okay for a couple years, but gradually got noisier and noisier until it was disturbing our sleep. Ended up breaking after a few years. I wouldn't give it a good review..... but that's my issue with "reviews" - everybody loves their new toy and no review is worth the time to read it unless the product is AT LEAST a year or two old.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had one. It worked okay for a couple years, but gradually got noisier and noisier until it was disturbing our sleep. Ended up breaking after a few years. I wouldn't give it a good review..... but that's my issue with "reviews" - everybody loves their new toy and no review is worth the time to read it unless the product is AT LEAST a year or two old.
I've heard that about the cheaper winders. I think I will look more at the windmill type instead of the cube type; seem to get more action for the dough. Agreed on the reviews; winders should all be great right out of the box.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I love this thread. I come back to read it every time I get the urge to buy another winder. This might should be made a sticky.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have no problem winding my automatics each morning but I do have one watch that CAN'T be hand wound. The only way to wind it is to wear it or use a watch winder. Since it has a day/date function it's easier to keep it wound on a winder. So I guess in some cases, the winder is necessary.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I looked into getting a watch winder after my first Hamilton buy. Since i fell in love with the watch i wanted to see it well presented and still running when not on my wrist. After much investigation i discovered that No1 you should stay away from low cost winders due to poor quality and rather short life spans as ulackfocus mentioned some time ago.

No2 if you are considering one then you need to be paying good money and not for the materials but rather the motor and setting functions. I was told that dependant on the watch and winder (of course) the main issue is no winder in the world can ever simulate a users wrist movements on a day to day basis. Auto movement watch has a release gear which is used once a watch is full wound to prevent over tension. This will very well be used many times in one day for a watch being on a wrist but sitting in a winder for week, month or year on a specific setting could do your watch more harm than good when that gear is over worked. That being said some winders are very good but your looking big bucks for these and as said earlier if you don't have a watch with a perpetual calendar then it is really isn't worth it.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts