WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Watch winders. Do you really need one? When I'm not wearing my auto watches, I store them in a box. :001_smile:
But I read that it's better to store it in a watch winder. Can WTF members tell me some of the pro's of havin a watch winder. :confused1::001_unsure:

·
Banned
28,406 Posts
PROS: another cool gadget, makes automatics a little more grab and go, a necessity for calendar / moon phase complications

CONS: unnecessary gadget if you only have basic date only watches with quick sets that can take funds away from watch purchases

·
Super Moderator
15,379 Posts
If you feel you have to have one: spend the few extra bucks and get a top-notch brand like Orbita. The low priced ones have a tendency to stop working after a few months.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PROS: another cool gadget, makes automatics a little more grab and go, a necessity for calendar / moon phase complications

CONS: unnecessary gadget if you only have basic date only watches with quick sets that can take funds away from watch purchases
Pros: Is it better for the mainspring if kept tightly wine?:confused1:

·
Banned
28,406 Posts
Pros: Is it better for the mainspring if kept tightly wine?:confused1:
For timekeeping purposes yes. But if you aren't going to use the watch for a few days or weeks don't worry about it. Just wind it via the crown when you go to wear it.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
It's not necessary in my opinion unless you own an automatic Perpetual Calendar. At that point, it becomes a necessity.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thks.....

Moderators:thumbup1::thumbup1:

·
Registered
93 Posts
IMO
you do not need or want a winder
Too much wear and tear on the watch
Better to store the watch and wind every month when not wearing.
Better still alternate wearing your watches so they are running and not drying up
IMO

·
Super Moderator
15,379 Posts
Can you explain the Auto Perpetual Calendar feature?
Configurations will vary, but the info is the same. It's an automatic movement that uses dials to keep track of:
the date (the dial at 3)
the day of the week (the dial at 9)
the phase of the moon (dial at 6)[a lunar month = 29.5 days]
the month (dial at 12)
the watch may or may not (this one does) keep track of whether or not it is a leap year. Some even have an Equation of Time dial. It usually goes from -15 to 0 to +15 and displays the difference between "normal time" and apparent solar time- useful for checking the accuracy of that sundial in your back yard.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Configurations will vary, but the info is the same. It's an automatic movement that uses dials to keep track of:
the date (the dial at 3)
the day of the week (the dial at 9)
the phase of the moon (dial at 6)[a lunar month = 29.5 days]
the month (dial at 12)
the watch may or may not (this one does) keep track of whether or not it is a leap year. Some even have an Equation of Time dial. It usually goes from -15 to 0 to +15 and displays the difference between "normal time" and apparent solar time- useful for checking the accuracy of that sundial in your back yard.
Technically, I don't think a perpetual calendar has to do moonphase or equation of time, but it DOES have to track leap years - that's the difference between perpetual and annual, isn't it?

·
Banned
28,406 Posts
Technically, I don't think a perpetual calendar has to do moonphase or equation of time, but it DOES have to track leap years - that's the difference between perpetual and annual, isn't it?
Correct. Equation of Time is not a necessity, but most perpetual calendars have moon phase.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Right, but it's an additional complication, not part of the perpetual calendar, right? And the perpetual tracks leap years, but the annual calendar does not?

·
Super Moderator
15,379 Posts
Correct.

·
Super Moderator
15,379 Posts
To the salvation or the detriment of the bank account? :lol:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Too much wear and tear on the watch
Is this a fact or just an opinion?

1) I have read that automatic winding mechanisms can work differently, and a winder that does great with one auto may not be right, or even be harmful, to another.

2) What if the WW is in operation between 9p-3a on an auto with day/date function?

JB

·
Banned
28,406 Posts
1) I have read that automatic winding mechanisms can work differently, and a winder that does great with one auto may not be right, or even be harmful, to another.
Show me where you read that please. It might have been about the amount of turns per hour, not a particluar winder.

2) What if the WW is in operation between 9p-3a on an auto with day/date function?
No worries. It's the same type of winding as if you're wearing the watch. Your confusing this with not using the quickset features during those hours.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Show me where you read that please. It might have been about the amount of turns per hour, not a particluar winder.
Thanks for the reply! I've absorbed so much in the last few weeks... looked at hundreds of sites. Could be I misunderstood. I'll see if I can find it.

·
Super Moderator
15,379 Posts
Actually, I read the same thing myself, although it might not be exactly what brashboy has in mind.
(Naturally, now that I want it I can't find it!)
The instance I'm remembering was in a sales pitch from a watch winder manufacturer. It talked about how, unlike their programmable models that can run for a set amount of time and then stop, cheap bargain-basement winders continuously spin the watch around and stop only when they're shut off or unplugged.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts