WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be the best way to determine the value of a Zeno Watch Basel 8664? I've got one which I'm considering selling, but have no idea what the value is. It was given to me a year or so ago because it needed work, and the owner wasn't remotely interested in getting the work done. I haven't found anything on eBay

This is the watch:

Any resources out there to determine the value and a fair asking price?

·
Super Moderator
16,885 Posts
We don't have much experience with Zeno, either.
1) Start by going to Zeno's website and look for Authorized retailers. That SHOULD allow you to find an MSRP.
2) The bezel repairs and cost of a Clean & Oil are going to take a big bite out of potential profits. Start with an asking price 66% of retail, but do not be surprised if you have to go down to 50 or even 40%. People really hate buying other people's problems and really really hate watches that don't look brand new. It's not fair, but it is realistic.
Good luck.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I should've been more clear, and I apologize for not being so.

I had a clean & overhaul done on the watch about six months ago. The only existing issues I'm aware of are the dings along the left side of the case (they were there when I got it), and the strap is not, as far as I know, original.

Other than that, it's fine...

·
Super Moderator
16,885 Posts
Well, that doesn't alter my answer too much. I don't have any other suggestions.

...Any resources out there to determine the value and a fair asking price?
There aren't any magic online used watch price guides that we use. To be honest, when folks ask us for values, 2% of the time we have personal experience with the brand being asked about.
96% of the time we go to eBay and look at past completed sales and see what those watches sold for. That last 2 % we just throw up our hands and shake our heads. Maybe someone out there knows about Zeno and hasn't answered yet. Be patient and keep your fingers crossed.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, that doesn't alter my answer too much. I don't have any other suggestions.

There aren't any magic online used watch price guides that we use. To be honest, when folks ask us for values, 2% of the time we have personal experience with the brand being asked about.
96% of the time we go to eBay and look at past completed sales and see what those watches sold for. That last 2 % we just throw up our hands and shake our heads. Maybe someone out there knows about Zeno and hasn't answered yet. Be patient and keep your fingers crossed.
Appreciate the help.

I e-mailed Zeno USA. I'll keep my fingers crossed hoping that they'll reply!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
:001_rolleyes: It never ceases to amaze me on how much info is left out on the first inquiry.
I should've been more clear, and I apologize for not being so.

I had a clean & overhaul done on the watch about six months ago. The only existing issues I'm aware of are the dings along the left side of the case (they were there when I got it), and the strap is not, as far as I know, original.

Other than that, it's fine...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What kind of movement is inside? Is it a genuine one or a Chinese version? What are the. Awe dimensions? Is the crystal sapphire or glass?
I believe it's sapphire, but I'm not sure how I would tell it from glass. I have no reason to believe it's a Chinese movement, but I've never opened it. I assume it's genuine. I don't know what "Awe" dimensions are.

Again, I should point out that I'm not asking for a value here. I'm simply being asked to be pointed in the right direction...

·
Super Moderator
16,885 Posts

·
Banned
28,290 Posts
Stupid auto-correct. :cursing: That should have said "What are the case dimensions?". Bigger watches are hot now. I ask about the caliber because an ETA movement will be more valuable than it's Chinese clone. Sapphire is more popular now too. If it's an ETA in a 42 - 46 mm case with a sapphire crystal it'll bring a nicer resale price than a clone inside a 38 mm case with a glass crystal.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Stupid auto-correct. :cursing: That should have said "What are the case dimensions?". Bigger watches are hot now. I ask about the caliber because an ETA movement will be more valuable than it's Chinese clone. Sapphire is more popular now too. If it's an ETA in a 42 - 46 mm case with a sapphire crystal it'll bring a nicer resale price than a clone inside a 38 mm case with a glass crystal.
Well, I heared back from Zeno USA. They told me that they never carried the 8664, so they put me in touch with Zeno-Watch Patrik-Philipp Huber SA, which is, presumably, the parent company of Zeno.

According to Zeno Switzerland, the movement is an ETA 2824, and it's a sapphire crystal. I haven't measured it, but I believe it's a 42mm. The original manufacturers price was $634.00, and they first made it in 2003.

Not sure if I'll sell it or not. I never wear the thing. Zeno USA said it would probably sell for a few hundred dollars but, given the dings on the case, I'm thinking not...

·
Registered
260 Posts
I was going to offer some thoughts, but then I saw how quickly you get all snarky with people trying to help you, so I decided against it.

GFL selling that dinged-up POS.

:lol:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I was going to offer some thoughts, but then I saw how quickly you get all snarky with people trying to help you, so I decided against it.

GFL selling that dinged-up POS.

:lol:
Well, that certainly wasn't a well thought out post, at all. It's okay to admit that you have nothing of value to offer.

When I posted, I wasn't asking for the value of the watch. I was asking to be pointed to where I might get some information on the value. There was other information I wanted, as well, but I guess I was holding out hope that someone would actually read my question and respond appropriately. One of my pet peeves is people who think they know what I want, and reply as though they're some sort of authority. The easiest response to my post would've been, if someone had it, a link to Zeno.

As for you, well, three things: First, you're a little slow on the upshot, as my questions have all been answered. Second, it's glaringly obvious that you're not someone who would actually have pertinent information to share so, instead, you just boost your post count and accuse me of getting snarky. If you'd look through the thread again, you'll see my replies, to those who were genuinely trying to be helpful, were quite polite.

And, lastly, I've got a buyer on the line at $275.00. I don't figure that's too bad a profit for something that has some case dings, and which cost me a grand total of nothing. So, thank you for your well wishes, but they're both unnecessary and unwanted...

·
Registered
260 Posts
Well, that certainly wasn't a well thought out post, at all. It's okay to admit that you have nothing of value to offer.

When I posted, I wasn't asking for the value of the watch. I was asking to be pointed to where I might get some information on the value. There was other information I wanted, as well, but I guess I was holding out hope that someone would actually read my question and respond appropriately. One of my pet peeves is people who think they know what I want, and reply as though they're some sort of authority. The easiest response to my post would've been, if someone had it, a link to Zeno.

As for you, well, three things: First, you're a little slow on the upshot, as my questions have all been answered. Second, it's glaringly obvious that you're not someone who would actually have pertinent information to share so, instead, you just boost your post count and accuse me of getting snarky. If you'd look through the thread again, you'll see my replies, to those who were genuinely trying to be helpful, were quite polite.

And, lastly, I've got a buyer on the line at $275.00. I don't figure that's too bad a profit for something that has some case dings, and which cost me a grand total of nothing. So, thank you for your well wishes, but they're both unnecessary and unwanted...
ROTFLMFAO

Someone's going to pay real U.S. dollars for that POS? The "greater fool" theory is alive and well!

·
Registered
20,788 Posts
ROTFLMFAO
Someone's going to pay real U.S. dollars for that POS? The "greater fool" theory is alive and well!
You're certainly welcome to your opinion spider, but keep insulting and useless comments out of it. Your post is bordering on insulting (if it doesn't cross it already) and further crossings won't be tolerated and will result in infractions.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
ROTFLMFAO

Well, if there was any question as to whether or not you had anything of value to offer, you just confirmed that you do not.

It's clear that you don't know anything about the watch. It's okay to admit that.

Given your profound lack of knowledge, your characterization of the watch is complketely meaningless.

But, hey, your post count went up!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.