WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 538 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know this subject has come up before and it did not carry the day. I know some of you also know I was involved in one of these with another forum. Which despite the nay sayers that said it could not be done. It indeed was done. Now many of you will recall the very nice Edouard Lauzieres Eldiamante that was a part of a very popular watch photo contest recently here. Because of this contest a few of our fellow members and of course John Holbrook got to see the watch first hand. So how many of you would be interested in a special Edouard Lauzieres wtf forum watch? Now I have not discussed this with anyone else here or even with EL for that matter. It's an idea that just popped into my head and I was curious to know if this would be a popular idea here. The price would of course depend on the type of watch that was selected. You can bet it would cost quite a bit less than the standard prices. So who thinks this might be an interesting idea?

Best Regards,

Thomas Carey

·
Banned
2,860 Posts
Can you show us a photo of the watch that was doled out as a prize? Any idea on what the price range would be and what options we'd have in terms of specific models?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First here is the winning picture.

Price range I would guess could be between $300.00-$1500.00. Options oh boy there are a lot of those. I think the best place to start is to decide what price range to go with. That will narrow down the options quite abit. Plus the style, sport, classic dress, etc.

Best Regards,

Thomas Carey

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Hy Tom
James watches are beautiful and I know he prefers uncluttered dials but could a chronograph be offered.Either way I would be interested in automatics not a quartz

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We would not be able to get a auto chrono in that sort of price range I am affraid. Now a quartz would be a different story.

Best Regards,

Thomas Carey

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I know this subject has come up before and it did not carry the day. I know some of you also know I was involved in one of these with another forum. Which despite the nay sayers that said it could not be done. It indeed was done. Now many of you will recall the very nice Edouard Lauzieres Eldiamante that was a part of a very popular watch photo contest recently here. Because of this contest a few of our fellow members and of course John Holbrook got to see the watch first hand. So how many of you would be interested in a special Edouard Lauzieres wtf forum watch? Now I have not discussed this with anyone else here or even with EL for that matter. It's an idea that just popped into my head and I was curious to know if this would be a popular idea here. The price would of course depend on the type of watch that was selected. You can bet it would cost quite a bit less than the standard prices. So who thinks this might be an interesting idea?

Best Regards,

Thomas Carey

I like the idea and the watch is very nice. Elegant and not overdone.

·
Registered
6,084 Posts
:)

would the prevailing thought be to put the logo on the dial?

I might think more of a dressy number with an inscription on the case back...

like WTF Limited Edition !/200 or something like that...

any interest in something like that?

:):)
diver88

·
Banned
5,792 Posts
I remember when this came up several months ago and it seemed that some were enthusiastic and some were not. For me $300-$400 would be the top end and if it was 38-39mm, I would NOT be interested.

·
Banned
5,421 Posts
From (too)many past experiences 300-350 is the acceptable range and 40-42mm is the preferred size.
Most seem to be partial to a dive/sport design.
It's doable but never easy.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Like the watch Tom. I would be interested in a forum watch as long as the price stays at or below 300.00. This would allow a higher rate of member participation and should help with pricing. I wonder if we should not look at say three different watches with different styles, movements, etc. and have a forum poll to determine the watch we like by voting I would buy this watch and allow multiple voting. This would give us a real indication of the interest in this project as well as the possible number of watches that might be sold to members.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Ok my thought is to go with a three had auto. With the WTF logo etc on a steel case back. To meet the price point I would suggest a semi hollow link bracelet or maybe we go with a model that has a nice leather strap. I suggest we go with an existing EL Dial design. We could get it in a unique color though but we need to have orders for 30 of these watches to pull this all off. Do you folks think we would have enough interest? My thought is to go with the model I believe will be the most popular in N. America for EL. All of the following photos are by Aaron Furman. Also these would be 38-39mm in size.

Or this one which has seen a lot of interest thus far for me.

These are two of their cheapest models which carry a regular price of $655.00.

For a sport type watch I would suggest this.

Though this is a more expensive model and I am sure we would not be able to get it in for the price most would like to have a forum watch at. Which sounds like would be about $300.00. Which could be tough with any of the modles shown with an auto movement. However with Quartz movement I am sure it could be done. Based on the feedback on this thread I will go to EL and have them quote use some prices for a few different approaches.

So what you folks think?

Best Regards,

Thomas Carey

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Well gang did some checking on prices. I can do either of the top two for about $300.00. The bottom on would go over by about $50.00. The dials would be standard. The case back is stainless steel with WTF on the back and serial numbered something like 1/30. If we got the order in by the first of Jan. We could have them in Feb. Otherwise we are not sure as April and May are pretty well booked in terms of production. They said they would do it for their cost as it's for a collector group. But as such they would need to money up front to pay for the materials. So what do you guys think? We talking about a $655.00 watch for $300.00 or a $805.00 watch for $350.00 BUT it would have a quartz movment. This seems like a pretty good deal to me.

Best Regards,

Thomas Carey

1 - 20 of 538 Posts