WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey many years ago I picked up a Vintage Vacheron Constantin in stainless steel, I can post pics, and will I guess, but lets just say its a ringer for a Patek Calatrava 96? sub second hand at 6. It came with a pretty thick strap with white stitching (which I didn't care for) and at the time the internet was pretty small and options seemed to be few. I swapped it out b/c I wanted a deployment buckle with one I got from a jeweler that sold Breitling's, so it's been wearing a Breightling strap now for about 15 years. Anyway I was more impressed with the clasp then the strap at the time and to be honest it never seemed to look right. I have seen what comes on the Higher end watches now and wonder what would be more appropriate for this? I'm thinking of selling the Breiting strap/clasp since it "won't work" with my other watches but I need a replacement first. I no longer need a deployment type clasp but I wouldn't be opposed either. Oh and it hasn't been worn as an everyday watch for some time, mostly when I first got it, now it comes out for more casual/special occasions so its in great shape so the strap has never gotten broken in.

So again what would you guys think should be on here, a "print/texture" of some kind? I think stitching should be less obvious and color match. So any ideas or picture that show this style and what its got on it?

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
15,314 Posts
Whatever you prefer.
I know that sounds like I'm dodging the question, but that style of watch can go in a number of directions, be it a smooth grain, lizard, crocodile, ostrich, etc. They'll all work. Just keep the grain pattern small and unobtrusive. You want the eye to notice the watch and not the strap. Accessories should compliment rather than be the star of the show.
You do not want the stitching to be obvious at all- that's for sport watches. And since you don't say or show (hint, hint) what the dial color is, silver-colored cases like black straps!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK this has been worn a lot so the white stitching has Patina'd (got dirty) so it doesn't stand out as much as it did at first. Here is a quick pic. It doesn't show the strap the best bet you get the idea on dial. I'll snap some more and add.

·
Super Moderator
15,314 Posts
I'm not a big fan of contrast stitching.
I've had 3 or 4 really nice black straps that had white I didn't want. I just took a Sharpie and colored the thread black. It worked out great.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts