WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
5,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is the time of year that I wish we could bottle and bring out whenever we want a taste, like fine wine. A big reason why I feel this way is the connection to others. . . family, friends, and those perhaps less fortunate. . . the non-watch wearers of the world.:D

Here is my story. I just spoke with the best man at my wedding who just moved to Durham NC after being in NY/Conn all his life. It was great to chat and he reminded me of a mutual friend and fraternity brother that we have who is now in Florida. Our friend was very careless with his word-ly possessions, especially his watches. He was always losing or breaking them so one year for his birthday, his father bought him one dozen IDENTICAL Timex watches. When he lost or broke one, he could simply open a box and put on a new one and no one would be the wiser.

Do you have any watch stories you would like to share involving you, your family or friends?

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
My latest watch story.

I think I have worn out everyone about my grandfather's pocket watch so I will give you my most recent watch story.

About a year ago I found out about Invicta brand cheese. After buying several I was on a google search and found this place called the WTF. I think it was well hidden between Never Never Land and Oz!:eek:hmy:

Anyway, I found myself in this magical and mysterious place where I found many new and cheesy friends.:w00t:

It is a great place to hide out!:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Before I threw away my last quartz watch away, I wacked the crystal with a hammer until it broke.

They do not call it hardex for nothing.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
When I was ten years old, my grandfather gave me a Lord Nelson watch from Sears, Roebuck and Company. I was very proud of it until a few days later when I learned that my best buddy's father had given him a 17-jewel Bulova, a fact that was proudly displayed on its dial.

Still, jewels or not, the idea of having my own watch to assure my punctuality was perhaps the greatest moment of my life up to that time and lacking any real means to keep time or insure that my time was really the correct time, I decided that my watch was the time standard for all the world.

At the time we were living in Mississippi and I was attending a school so small that the entire fourth and fifth grades fit into one classroom. Schools in the rural South in those days were a good deal more laid back and just a little less structured than schools are today with their hall monitors, ID cards, and armed police forces. We went to school barefoot and every boy carried a pocket knife. If he was from an affluent family, he carried a Barlow.

One day all the other kids were out of the classroom and the teachers trusting us not to commit mass murder if we were allowed to go where we wished during recess, I was for some reason by myself in the classroom.

Having observed that the classroom clock was several minutes off from my very own wrist-mounted, jewel-challenged time standard and being all alone as I was, I presumed to set the school on the correct temporal path by removing the clock from the wall and synchronizing it with my watch.

When I replaced the clock on the wall, I did so in a manner that was insufficiently secure and after I turned my back and started to go outside for the rest of recess, I heard the sickening sound of glass shattering and metal striking the hardwood floor.

I was busted and being raised as I was, I was compelled to go to the principal's office and confess my wrongdoing.

He was actually pretty cool about it, but he did insist that in the future, the school staff would be responsible for maintaining the correct time and, of course, he informed my parents, who were not amused.

It was a very long time before I took the liberty of placing my hands on someone else's wall clock, regardless of how much it varied from my Lord Nelson wristwatch.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
wonderful times

@ Grady Philpott.
Those were great days and wonderful times. Respect and discipline were taught and demanded in the home and therefore you took it with you everywhere you went. As far as a knife in the pocket, of course, we all had at least one. And when the teacher had a loose thread on her dress she would ask, "would one of you boys let me borrow you pocket knife to cut this thread?" That knife was a tool not a deadly weapon. It was also useful for carving your girl's name along with yours in a tree somewhere as long as your buddies did not see you.

Violence in the schools then was limited to a short burst of hands that mostly ended with an adult breaking it up and it was off (for both) to the principle for a few stern whacks on the backside. That principle seemed to be much more accurate and stinging with his blows than the ones that had just been passed out on the play ground. Within a few days you were playing with the same guy you were fighting with. In one case with me in 9th grade another and I went to it until we had no more. Starting the next day we were great friends the rest of the way through High School. Apparently he wanted no more of me and I know for sure I wanted no more of him.

I enjoyed your story. It brought back some really nice memories!

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Yeah, you're right, timebender.

When moving to a new school, I often found that when the school bully wouldn't respond to the cognitive approach, a swift extension of the right hand of genteel fellowship to the brain-housing group pretty much did the trick and as you say, a lasting friendship often followed.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I was really hoping we'd get some some real interesting stories here.

I really liked the one about the dozen identical watches.

Maybe this would do better in the General Forum.

·
Banned
5,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's a holiday week, Grady. People are LIVING their holiday watch stories. Let's give it a day or two to see what's what. We can always move it over.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
It's a holiday week, Grady.
Oh, yeah. I keep forgetting that and I'm not kidding.

I got hungry last night and the only sit-down restaurant I could find open was a Chinese restaurant.

Halfway through the meal, I looked down at my plate filled with shrimp, broccoli and a few unidentifiable, but tasty items and I thought, "Hey! This is Christmas dinner!

:biggrin:

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Back when the Russian Army watch was the big craze my father would scour flea markets looking for a knock-off. His cousin travelled to Russia and brought back a Slava (Craba) for her husband. He didn't like it so my father finally got his Russian Army watch and it was his favorite. Before my father passed away I asked my mother for that watch. The movement is quartz, not mechanical, and the steel is not stainless, but I do value that watch.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Many many years ago while skiing on a mountain in Pennsylvania, I wiped out pretty badly on the slopes at one point. Later on that day, I realized that I was missing my Timex Digital watch. I searched around on the slopes for a few hours but never found it. I put in a request at the lodge that if they found a gold tone Timex Digital watch to let me know.

6 months later, they contacted me to let me now that after the snow melted, one of the park rangers found my watch embedded in the mud about halfway up the mountain. They sent the watch back to me.

After six months of being on a ski resort's mountain, the buckle had lost one of the retaining pins, and the watch was scratched like your would not believe. It was caked with mud and had dirt ingrained in everything. I thought "oh well, its a goner" and cleaned the watch up with some soap and water.

After buffing the watch dry, I could finally reach the pins on the side of the watch. I pressed the button, and to my astonishment, the digital digits popped back on the watch - it had kept perfect time all these months.

A few years ago I found the watch in a box, nearly 20 years after losing the watch on the mountain. As I watched the battery finally gave out and the Timex stopped telling time. May it rest in peace.

Now THAT is a WATCH - and it truly bears out the Timex saying - takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

·
Banned
2,860 Posts
I have a watch story, though I wouldn't say it was compelling reading. About two years ago, I gave my Casio G-Shock to a buddy of mine who lives several hours north of here. Almost a year later, he sent me a note in the mail, thanking me for the watch, and telling me every time he looked at it he tought of me and our friendship. Then and now, that makes me feel really good.:)

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Back when the Russian Army watch was the big craze my father would scour flea markets looking for a knock-off. His cousin travelled to Russia and brought back a Slava (Craba) for her husband. He didn't like it so my father finally got his Russian Army watch and it was his favorite. Before my father passed away I asked my mother for that watch. The movement is quartz, not mechanical, and the steel is not stainless, but I do value that watch.
Great story! could you top it off with a picture of the watch?:w00t:

·
Banned
5,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
foghorn suggested I tell this story, so I shall.

In the 1960's, I purchased a novelty watch that was advertised in Esquire magazine. Turned out that it was a 17 jewel mechanical (wind-up for you newbies) made by the Hamilton Watch Company, then still an American company in Lancaster, PA. I loved the watch, got lots of comments on it and I had a chance to buy a similar one, also a Hamilton.

Fast forward to the 1970's. . . I was married with children and we sold our house to move to a larger one. Prior to the move, we had a garage sale and my wife suggested that if I am not going to wear the Hamilton's, I should put them on a table at the sale. Oh, and I also had an ORIGINAL Pulsar quartz digital, with the red readout. By then, I had moved on to more adult-acceptable watches, the first Casio calculator watch that my then boss said was "the best invention he had seen since sliced bread."

So, to the garage sale they went where they both were sold to the same guy for 10 bucks and I threw in the Pulsar for another 5 bucks.

Well, I have seen that Hamilton watch on ebay selling for $185-215. Boy I wish I had just wrapped 'em up and moved them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Watch Story

Several years ago I was conducting a Scuba class (I'm a Scuba Instructor) when I noticed a watch lying on the sandy bottom at 50 feet. The watch crystal was face down, against the sand, the back was totally coral encrusted, and it had a broken rubber strap (probably the reason was the watch was lost in the first place). From the amount of coral growth it was obvious the watch had been down there for some time.

I picked it up and looked at the dial, expecting to see a hopelessly corroded or at the very least a flooded watch. I was shocked when I saw that the second hand was moving! The crystal was pretty clean, as it was lying against the sand. Another shock was when I saw that the watch was a Tag Heuer! From the movement of the second hand it was clear that this was a quartz movement.

As soon as I got home I cleaned off the coral growth, and the watch was in pretty good shape. I took it to the Tag Heuer service center the next day, to have it cleaned up. I gave it to the girl at the counter, who brought it to the technician. After a short while the girl came back out and said that they couldn't service the watch. Huh? I asked, "Why not"? Sir, the watch is a fake, she answered.

I guess this was a pretty watertight fake.

I gave the watch to my brother, who lost it when he fell off while windsurfing at Boracay in the Philippines.

This watch was destined to stay underwater...

·
Banned
5,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Maybe it was really a Timex. . . it took a licking and kept on ticking?

Good story, Deep Diver and welcome to the Original Invicta Forum.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts