WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have now settled on how I'm going to store and display my Accutrons. Being rather paranoid about getting burgled I ruled out putting them in a cabinet. I decided to make my own boxes. There are are similar sized boxes on the market, but made out of MDF and with glass tops. These have
individual cushions for the watches which take up a lot of room. I therefore decided to put the watches on bolsters. It is quite easy to get the watches on and off as the bolsters have foam around a wooden core. So far I have completed two identical boxes which have Sydney Blue Gum (Eucalyptus saligna) tops and Monterey Cyprus (Cupressus macrcarpa) sides. When I have filled more boxes with serviced watches I will post pics on this thread. DSC02032.jpg DSC02034.jpg DSC02031.jpg
How about other members showing us how they display their watches?

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Oh my, beautiful! I am green with envy. Here is my "sock drawer" and the "annex" where my watches sleep. You just might inspire me to better organize the collection.:001_tt2:

That my friend is an obsession. You need help. I suggest you start by passing on some of those watches to us poor unfortunate collectors.
I'm sure they will be more than happy to shoulder the burden.

·
Premium Member
5,469 Posts
Very nice home made displays vim203!!! I'm liking these displays. This one is mine and its abit old as I have made a few sales and purchases but you get the idea. Each black box holds 20 watches. My six Astronauts and several Accutron Boxes are not in this pic. Been alittle busy this year.

·
Banned
2,685 Posts
Hummmm what could it be ? :confused1:

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Great boxes Vim! I love wood products, and the wood you chose has nice grains and appearance. I recognize a few of those 218 variants. I have examples of next to far right (top and bottom roll), and far right, middle roll. Perhaps another as well. Nice 218 collection.
Nice displays Skypilot, Spaceview, and AccutronRedux (can't believe all those original cases in the drawer, sheez :blink:).

Eric

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I thought it was about time I posted a pic of my second box of serviced Accutrons. These are all 218s and are all different from those in the first box. I am now making another two boxes out of a unique form of New Zealand Kauri. DSC02050.jpg

·
Banned
2,685 Posts

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
That's a great collection of watches but I think I'm even more impressed with the workmanship that goes into your boxes.
Do you keep batteries in all of your watches ?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
In reply to Accutronitis and Skypilot, I have just four 214s which I will service when I have done some practicing on old movements. It has taken quite a while to build up a supply of 214 parts. Good 214s tend to be a lot more expensive than 218s and I usually miss out when I try to buy them. I keep all my serviced watches running on alkaline batteries which cost me less than 10c each, when bought in a pack of 200. I guess that there is a divergence of opinion on whether Accutrons should be kept running or not. The electrolytic capacitors will last longer if kept with a polarizing voltage on them, but I suppose index wheels must eventually wear out.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Vim203, great collection of 218's and another fabulous box. Seeing your collection reminds me I'd like to pick up an "up/down" dial, and what about those stainless with vivid blue dials! Not sure I've ever seen one of those before.

Eric

1 - 20 of 56 Posts