WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

Watch stands

609 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  uscjake87 
#1 ·
Instead of them flopping around on the shelf they sit there nicely waiting. Was a fun little project making wood dust. :)

Top: Birdseye maple with purple heart riser
Bottom: Red oak

See less See more
#3 ·
I originally stopped by the watch shop to see what stands they had and thought about finding comparable online. The bulk were plastic as seen in many mass watch shops. Some of the higher end shops were a bit disappointing in that regard too. I have a couple of the plastic ones too. The ones with pillows were pretty nice though those aren't so easy to get watches on-off.

#4 ·
I've also accumulated several different ones....not for display purposes, but they are invaluable for the way they stand (when stick one in a lightbox in order to photograph it).
RA4X's wooden stands would be absolutely awesome for using in a professional photography studio! I love the use of that woodgrain table as a background, too- it really forces you to look at the watch.

About how long did it take you to make one of those stands (start-to-finish) ?

#5 ·
I didn't keep track of time. Some days I'd work an hour other days a few hours then multi days where they didn't progress. Would cut a batch of various woods then on another day routed, sanded, drilled, finished then assembled.

Live edge in cherry wood: I kept this one as an experiment to see how the cherry darkens over time. This was also an experiment using a different finish. (CA has various EPA restrictions so what may be available in other states may not be accessible here. :( )

Purple heart:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.