WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know we've gone back and forth with oversized watches being in and out of fashion, but in general how big do you think is too big, or is it it totally dependent on wrist size? This Graham Tourbillograph at 47mm is quite a chunky piece...but would it fit under a shirt or suit and still look good:huh:?

·
Super Moderator
15,477 Posts
If you've gotta ask..............
or
If we make fun of it.........

OK. Serious answer -To me, the tips of the lugs shouldn't extend horizontally past the wrist.

(Or, in my case; when I get teased because it looks too small, I know it's just right! :lol:)

Reactions: knappo1307

·
Registered
893 Posts
I've come to the opinion after owning an Invicta leviathan at 52mm plus that is way big. I own some vintage pieces at 34mm and 36mm which are a wee small , I keep them because they still look good. 40mm is ok, I own a Hamilton khaki at 40mm and Invicta pro divers . Now close to my size is the skx which I feel is almost there. Then I picked up a Hamilton khaki at 42mm bingo. My size without a doubt is anywhere between 42mm and 44mm(I do love my pilot case watches). I also have three grand divers which I wear once in awhile when I want a big looking watch. Well that's it for raijin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
184 Posts
Depends upon you, really. I'm a 'retired' bodybuilder (6'3 280 pounds) so I can probably swing a 50mm watch better than someone a bit more diminutive. I probably have 10 watches in excess of 45mm and sold all of my older watches below 40mm because they just looked oddly small on my arm. Conversely, I see teens in the mall that probably weigh 100 pounds wearing these gigantic Invicta 'rap star' watches that just look comical to me. But hey, to each his own.

...However, I reserve the right to laugh at you in my head at least. :lol:

But as CometHunter said; if you have to ask... :laugh:

·
Registered
996 Posts
I could never understand this question about watches!
They either fit, or they don't!
I went shopping in a local mall in the Tampa Bay area, and Invicta opended a retail store.
I thought it would be fun to see some of the watches in person, that I saw online.
WOW!
Who buys and wears these watches? Really, a one pound 50mm +? Not me!

These just might be to big, unless your the incredible hulk!

·
Registered
184 Posts
When you have to wear a counterweight.
Or if you find out that your watch-wearing arms is getting slowly larger than your non-watch-wearing arm.

Fugghetabout it. Just wear a big clock around your neck like Flavor Flav. :thumbup:

·
Banned
2,685 Posts
Anything Breitling..... lol

·
Registered
84 Posts
Depends upon you, really. I'm a 'retired' bodybuilder (6'3 280 pounds) so I can probably swing a 50mm watch better than someone a bit more diminutive. I probably have 10 watches in excess of 45mm and sold all of my older watches below 40mm because they just looked oddly small on my arm. Conversely, I see teens in the mall that probably weigh 100 pounds wearing these gigantic Invicta 'rap star' watches that just look comical to me. But hey, to each his own.

...However, I reserve the right to laugh at you in my head at least. :lol:

But as CometHunter said; if you have to ask... :laugh:
You and me bro - I'm 6'3" 290lbs, and 40mm is the sweet spot size-wise for me, but I have a couple that are around 44, and some that are 36, and I wear them too. It just depends on what you like.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yeah, that's the real criteria. I mean, if it twirls your beanie I wouldn't worry about what others think.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you've gotta ask..............
or
If we make fun of it.........

OK. Serious answer -To me, the tips of the lugs shouldn't extend horizontally past the wrist.

(Or, in my case; when I get teased because it looks too small, I know it's just right! :lol:)
This ^^^

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
I'm not a small guy; 6'2" @ 275 lbs. I find myself drawn to watches that sit right around 45mm...

·
Premium Member
5,464 Posts
Watch size would depend on personal preference/interest and a watch that matches wrist/body size. Most of my watches that I feel fit and look best are in the 36-42mm range. I have had a few larger and have sold those. My largest currently is a 44mm. It's about all I can tolerate. Thickness also has some bearing on case width and how it looks.

·
Super Moderator
15,477 Posts
So....I can only date munchkins or Lilliputians from now on? :confused1:

Reactions: charlie48

·
Registered
184 Posts
45 is the sweet spot for me. I've cycled out all of the watches that I had that had -40 millimeters.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts