WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been buying an selling watches on the secondary market for a couple years now and it seems that I have the most difficulty selling newer (5 years old or less) Bulova and Accutron models. Any recommendation other than ebay? The sales forum on this site isn't very active.

·
Banned
605 Posts
Not a bad topic. I have a few watches I bought but rarely wear that I'm going to move on through ebay. Also straps. I've never sold anything through there so it's going to be an experiment. It seems to me to come down to (surprise surprise) photography and sizzle. I'm talking lower grade watches here - a few wind-ups, autos, etc. Nothing exciting. Nice though.

I'm thinking $40 - $150 each (without going into details). Very clean watches. No crap. But of course some have issues... You get the idea.

What's the go - no reserve? - I know I respond to a N.R even if the watch is worth $900. Reserve (which is all you wanted in the first place) for a mid-range low-range watch is a turn off in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I have bought things on The Bay for well over 12 years and started selling a little there a couple years ago. I don't like "Reserves" either. Some folks start everything at .99 cents - even valuable items. Others decide what their minimum is and start there. On The Bay you never know. One day an item may sell for much more than it's estimated value and another day the same item may sell for less than you think it's worth. Some things I sold went for more than I originally paid while others went for less than I paid. If I am refining my watch collection, replacing one with another in better condition, I might accept a little loss knowing that what I replaced it with is much better. It's a hobby, not a business and I don't collect as an investment. Like many, I do hope the collection will be worth more in the years to come but I don't count on it.

I haven't tried any other avenues for sales.

·
Banned
605 Posts
I have bought things on The Bay for well over 12 years and started selling a little there a couple years ago. I don't like "Reserves" either. Some folks start everything at .99 cents - even valuable items. Others decide what their minimum is and start there. On The Bay you never know. One day an item may sell for much more than it's estimated value and another day the same item may sell for less than you think it's worth. Some things I sold went for more than I originally paid while others went for less than I paid. If I am refining my watch collection, replacing one with another in better condition, I might accept a little loss knowing that what I replaced it with is much better. It's a hobby, not a business and I don't collect as an investment. Like many, I do hope the collection will be worth more in the years to come but I don't count on it.

I haven't tried any other avenues for sales.

That's it. You have to refine. Originally you go in like an excited puppy where everything is magical and you want it all and will eat/buy virtually anything. Then you realise what you have to do to make them work/keep going and the price to pay....

My GF (God love her) keeps urging me to do a business in older watches. Markets, second hand stores, etc are REALLY starting to take off in Australia. And I believe there is a STRONG potential for vintage watches to go mainstream and break out from nutters like us (particularly in Aust.).

But I think you would have to be there to convince an unbeliever that they would LOVE a vintage watch on their wrist.

And think for an urge purchase (which is the market you are appealing to who wouldn't know a watch from a coconut but may like the look of it and you can tell the story....) you can't go above about $99 - $149. Good luck making money out of that with most watches.

I just don't know if i want to be the pioneer who has a go and dies. And they are OLD. Old things require extensive work or die.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I have dabbled a little bit on Ebay and the watch prices are all over the place. It's interesting to watch an auction with a starting bid of say $200 get no bids and end up relisted with the .99 cent start, go to over $400 the second time around! Very similar items could could go for $100 one week and $300 the next. Then there is the dealing with whiners about shipping times or other issues. It can be very frustrating.

I go to flea markets and estate auctions every weekend and have lucked out a few times, buying accutrons for as little as $10. I have bought box lots of other watches and founds some hidden gems. Sometimes a polish and a new battery and away you go. but this is the exception.

I am quite happy if I break even as long as I get to indulge my obsession.

·
Banned
605 Posts
I have dabbled a little bit on Ebay and the watch prices are all over the place. It's interesting to watch an auction with a starting bid of say $200 get no bids and end up relisted with the .99 cent start, go to over $400 the second time around! Very similar items could could go for $100 one week and $300 the next. Then there is the dealing with whiners about shipping times or other issues. It can be very frustrating.

I go to flea markets and estate auctions every weekend and have lucked out a few times, buying accutrons for as little as $10. I have bought box lots of other watches and founds some hidden gems. Sometimes a polish and a new battery and away you go. but this is the exception.

I am quite happy if I break even as long as I get to indulge my obsession.

You guys who can go to places where watches gather in numbers cheaply are SOOO lucky. That concept doesn't exist down here. Not the second-hand thing, that's popular but we just didn't seem to do watches down here like the US did.

I cruise second hand stores in Queensland (ther's my problem......) and you are lucky to find a watch. Any watch. Full stop. Let alone an Accutron at a bargain price. They'll have some stupid unknown ugly thing in poor condition that may/may not work and have $800 on it because it's old.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I posted to all about 5 of the higher traffic watch forums for a couple weeks with no hits. I posted to ebay and they are all currently auctioning for a decent price. I hate giving ebay 10%, but I always have successful sales and usually am very pleased with the price I get.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.