WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I think it was Rick who started a thread about crashing prices last month, .....and I didn't want to hi-jack the thread.......

but it seems to me that I have heard recently that the USA watches are starting to command higher prices in Europe......and that thye are recognizing the quality of some of our homegrown watches ......so that would have to be some seriously vintage watches as the ubiquitous Swiss movement started showing up in American companies at least by the 40s, but I don't know the exact date or year on that .......

....or they could be tired of paying astronomical prices on the European vintage watches ,......( I made that up ....are they paying astronomical prices on European watches ?)

I don't remember where I saw that statement about vintage US watches becoming more popular over the other side of the pond.....but has anyone else heard that or noticed it in passing ? ......

and I have noticed that the wrist watch prices are creeping up ......kinda slowly ....but the upward swing does show itself to me anyway .......

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I would have to agree, about 50% of my watches are sold to Europeans and they are paying top dollar.

10% goes to Asia and Australia.

While only about 40% stays in the United States.

This has been the trend for well over a year now.

Probably beacuse I mostly deal in trench watches which are still VERY popular in Europe.

Kind of depends on the watch though.

Pershings will more than likely stay in the United States while RED 12 dial trench watches seem to mostly go to Europe.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
but it seems to me that I have heard recently that the USA watches are starting to command higher prices in Europe......and that thye are recognizing the quality of some of our homegrown watches ......so that would have to be some seriously vintage watches as the ubiquitous Swiss movement started showing up in American companies at least by the 40s, but I don't know the exact date or year on that .......
More like 50s, at least for Hamilton and Elgin. Waltham was largely gone by 1950. Not sure how it went at Hamilton, but Elgin started in 1952 or 53 with automatics, but by 1958 a lot of their lower end watches had imported movements. Still they kept on making US-built movements till 1964. Hamilton was making US-built movements till 1969.

·
Banned
28,345 Posts
I don't know about American watches and their clientele, but I can say that the weak dollar makes it attractive for foreign buyers to purchase from a US seller.

And yes, Sally, vintage Swiss watch prices are up in the last couple years. At least the higher grade ones. Great for selling, not so good when buying. A few of us multi-brand collectors have chatted privately about this. One conversation with a regular here was about IWC prices, in particular the ribbon lug caliber 89 pieces and how they've jumped in the last 12 months. A couple members and I talked about the steady increase in the Memovox caliber 815 and 825 bumpers from the late 50's and 60's over a 2 or 3 year period. Then there's Longines, which if their top end watches were shares of stock it would be on S & P's best performer list for the blue chip specimens. Don't get me started on Omega because they've been fetching top dollar for several years since the Antiquorum event in 2007.

Mechanical watches are gradually getting hotter and there's no indication of a slow down even in this poor economy. Don't let that get out to the public though.... or at least not until we're all ready to retire from the hobby and cash out. :wink:

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
It could also be that European collectors, attracted by the weak US $, are simply less interested in the art deco stuff I collect? (I can imaginne them saying "What's an Illinois?") I have just seen a LOT of nice vintage American watches sell for less than $100 in the last few months -- all $300 watches 4-5 years ago. And I've also seen a lot of formerly $800-$1200 watches sell for $400-$750. The rare ones above $1500 seem to have remained fairly steady. Once Christmas bills come in, my fear is that these might drop also? (I HOPE NOT!!)

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
but it seems to me that I have heard recently that the USA watches are starting to command higher prices in Europe

....or they could be tired of paying astronomical prices on the European vintage watches ,......( I made that up ....are they paying astronomical prices on European watches ?)

I don't remember where I saw that statement about vintage US watches becoming more popular over the other side of the pond.....but has anyone else heard that or noticed it in passing ? ......
I had originally mentioned that us Europeans had caught on to the American made watches , the problem is in Europe we are paying silly prices for watches new and used. Locally I have only found four vintage American watches and I purchased three of them, so their availability is quite limited on the ground and we are heading online and competing with US based buyers and driving prices up.

They were not cheap compared to US prices on the swamp at the time but I did flip one of them recently for nearly the full price I had paid for the 3, so I figure I stand quiet well on the original purchase price. It is about a year since I made the purchase of those three watches locally and my original purchase price now looks very reasonable compared to what they are selling on the swamp and elsewhere. I am considering selling another one of them the only thing holding me back is that I know the price is increasing on them.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
.........WHen I wrote this post last night ...it was merely an intellectual question ....however, reading everyone's posts ....I have decided that perhaps I will make my watches available to countries outside the US.....the incident with the Vulcain and the guy from Poland soured me a bit .....but maybe he's the only bad guy over there

.....but I'll do it on a case by case judgement, I sold my 1938 Gruen Curvex to a guy in Japan ...who was crazy about it ......which I love .....and then 2 rose gold watches to a lady in Australia cause the dollar is so weak there .....

......and dealing with each of them was a joy .......

I know not to even attempt to ship anything to Italy, does anyone know any other "don't go there " countries I should avoid >

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
EVERYTHING that goes to Europe, Asia, Australia, South America and even Canada gets sent via REGISTERED USPS MAIL.

It MUST be signed for by each and every person who touches the package along the way.

You physically have to go to the post office when sending it this way (registered)(which is sort of a pain in the butt) but shipping overseas has it's benefits !$!$!$!$!$!$!$!$!$!$!

Plus you have to fill out the proper customs form, use CUSTOMS DECLARATION - CN 22, it's the smaller form, DON'T use the bigger form (it's not necessary).

And you MUST use BROWN PAPER TAPE, it you cover the package in clear tape they will NOT accept the package ! ! !

I have shipped over 200 packages this way over the past two years and only had a problem one time, the Royal Mail Service of the UK lost a package.

Also keep in mind that insurance is limited when shipping a package via registered USPS mail ! ! ! ! ! !

·
Banned
28,345 Posts
I know not to even attempt to ship anything to Italy, does anyone know any other "don't go there " countries I should avoid >
Let me give the disclaimer first: I'm sure there are plenty of good people all over the globe and the following is not stereotyping, just a warning based on my experiences.

Now that the legal portion of this post is out of the way, I can say that I won't buy or sell to Argentina and surrounding South American countries unless they are an established member of a watch forum. I've seen too many rip offs to risk it.

- A local (to me) Omega collector sold a watch on eBay to a buyer in Chile. The buyer claimed he never received the watch and got a full refund. A few months later the buyer lists the exact watch, with a refinished dial in a different color and pattern, on eBay - and it's identified by the case reference and movement serial number. Lucky for the seller that somebody familiar with the story and watch notified him. He immediately reported this to eBay and got the money, and the thief had his eBay account removed.

- A WTF member buys a watch from an Argentina eBay seller. The photo angles are manipulated to hide missing parts and other damage and nothing is mentioned in the description. The seller skips town with the money after shipping the watch and before the buyer receives it. eBay didn't even step in to provide the refund (this was long before the 21 day hold policy was in effect). Luckily the buyer used his credit card with Paypal so he got the money back.

I have more but those stories should suffice.

I would also avoid buying and/or selling to south eastern provinces that were formerly part of Russia. Too many scammers. It's the way things are done there.

There are bad people everywhere, but those two areas seem to have a concentration of con artists and criminals.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I would also avoid buying and/or selling to south eastern provinces that were formerly part of Russia. Too many scammers. It's the way things are done there.
And to think that we were worried that the folks of the former USSR wouldn't grasp how Capitalism works! :lol:

·
Registered
172 Posts
I was in Amsterdam in September and stopped into any shop that had vintage watches. Some dealers had a couple of American PWs.....maybe a Hamilton Electric, but otherwise seemed rather cool toward American stuff. I figured it was because everyone was wearing a watch the size of a can of Friskies® cat food. I was wearing a very slender Vulcain like the one pictured below. As I walked into an art gallery specializing in vintage rock & roll photos, the woman behind the desk spotted my watch and told me about a shop where people were paying huge money for 50's and 60's watches from anywhere. I found the shop and, sure enough, there was and Omega Constellation with a pie tin dial for 1,400 euros (about $1,750.00 US). I guess not everyone wears a Friskies®.

Attachments

Reactions: salleh

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I was also in Amsterdam in September and I also saw that Hamilton Electric (I think it's a black dial Pacer for 1,500.00 Euros) in the shop keepers window, very small world we live in ! ! ! ! !

I just happened to take a picture of it ! ! !

Sorry the quality of the picture is not better, I was a few Heinekens deep at this point.

The shop was somewhere right around here I think.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I Know That Corner

I think toget to that shop with the Hamilton, you turn right by the bald guy in the blue shirt. The shop was on the left. Did you see this under the red awning?

Attachments

·
Banned
28,345 Posts
I think toget to that shop with the Hamilton, you turn right by the bald guy in the blue shirt.
Which one of the 3 bald guys? The long sleeve light blue shirt, the short sleeve solid blue shirt, or the short sleeve blue shirt with the stripes? Seems a lot of guys in Amsterdam use the same barber. :laugh:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Which one of the 3 bald guys? The long sleeve light blue shirt, the short sleeve solid blue shirt, or the short sleeve blue shirt with the stripes? Seems a lot of guys in Amsterdam use the same barber. :laugh:
I wasn't looking too much at men while I was there. Plus, I love cycling more than watches......just a wee bit.

WE NOW RETURN THIS THREAD TO IT'S PREVIOUS TOPIC AS A QUEST FOR ADDITIONAL HUMOR MAY CROSS THE GUIDE LINES SET FORTH BY OUR HOSTS :eek:hmy:

However, if there are any children viewing, there is a time piece in every photo.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts