WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Seiko Titanium Sapphire from a local store.
I read somewhere that the digits on the back of the case indicate the date of manufacture.
Mine states the year as 97
Is it possible I just bought a 25 year old "new" watch?
If so, I'm not sure if I should be happy or sad about that detail.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used that tool and it gave me a January 2000 result. This seems very peculiar, giving rise to all sorts of questions.
Do retailers keep such old stock?
How can a quartz watch can still be going after all this time?
Is it common practice for retailers to replace batteries before selling?

· Super Moderator
5,846 Posts
OK, I bought my Seiko Ananta new from the dealer in March of 2011. If I input the serial number and movement information it produces the following:
Results for movement 6R24 with serial number 980201 :
The watch was made in August 2009,2019

Since the watch was new to me in 2011 that means the serial number indicates the watch was made in August of 2009.

Here are results for a second watch:
Results for movement V158 with serial number 972011 :-
The watch was made in July 2009,2019
Since I bought the watch new in 2020 and it was newly introduced I will say the watch was manufactured in 2019.
Automotive tire Product Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Font

· Super Moderator
5,846 Posts
Based on what you are showing, I would have to say the tool shows you have a new/old stock Seiko. But, this could also point out a possible glitch in the way this tool works. I think the date of manufacturer of the watch you own could be 2000, 2010, or maybe even 2020. I think the data base is limiting the production years based on the production years of the movement. Based on other similar watches with different color dials and hands the watch is produced and sold with production up into 2011. Classic style never goes out of style.
Product Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system Font

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.