WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my girlfriend an Omega watch for Christmas. She doesn't like it. I don't want her wearing something she hates, or leaving it in a jewelry box and never wearing it. I want to buy her a replacement.

We have been dating about 9 months, so I know more about her tastes now. She wants something flashy, shiny, bulky - I choose simple elegance, and that really isn't her style. I don't want something obviously a men's watch, but she might even be happy with that. Her tastes tend towards cheaper, costume jewelry, but I want to get something Swiss made, or at least well made - she should have a nice watch. I want to spend between $500 and $1000.

My list of brands (based only on price and reputation) are Ebel, Baume & Mercier, Raymond Weil, Tag Heuer, Epos, Fortis, Movado, Oris. Should I add any brands to the list? Should I buy online or brick and mortar? Online places are easy to find, but if I go brick and mortar, how do I go about finding something? Most brick and mortar places are overpriced junk, and there are hundreds in the yellow pages.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
First, I think you need to realize that MOST women view watches differently than men. At best, it's just another piece of jewelry that they change day by day to go with the outfit. At worst, its something that gets in the way of some other bracelet. It might be unreasonable to expect she wear the same watch every day.

Why don't you take her shopping and find out what her taste is? The white ceramic models are popular now, and most every "fashion" brand has one. Michele are popular.

Or, dump her and find one who appreciates things the same way you do LOL

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At best, it's just another piece of jewelry that they change day by day to go with the outfit.
I agree. She currently only has 1 watch. It is not very nice, and is stainless steel, so at a minimum she should have a gold watch to match different things. She has enough invested in shoes to buy (or fill) a hummer. She should have a nice watch.

Why don't you take her shopping and find out what her taste is?
As I said, if I go brick and mortar, how do I go about finding something? Most brick and mortar places are overpriced junk, and there are hundreds in the yellow pages.

As a coincidence, there is one listed in the sale forum now:
This watch is 10% of what I planned to spend.

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
Have you looked at the Jasmine line from Raymond Weil? If you stretched your budget just a bit more you could probably get one of the quartz versions (they have automatics, too). The 35mm versions would probably have the bulk your looking for (they also come in 29mm) and they are gorgeous watches.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you looked at the Jasmine line from Raymond Weil?
Yes, it is above budget, and with 1 exception (which I can't find online), does not have gold colored watches. This the sort of suggestion I am looking for.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Frédérique Constant - good idea. Their art deco watches seem to be her style, but might be too narrow. Maybe I can get her to revisit the yellow gold criteria. They (and Raymond Weil) have a lot of nice watches more her style with stainless steel bands.

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
Yes, it is above budget, and with 1 exception (which I can't find online), does not have gold colored watches. This the sort of suggestion I am looking for.
Since you are looking for a gold colored watch it rules out most of the watches that I was thinking about. I have not seen one in person, but the Movado Bold Chronograph would seem to fit the bill in terms of price and also being flashy. It comes in both yellow and rose gold and is 38mm in diameter.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
The point is to go to brick and mortar to see a variety, and try things on. The local mall will probably have several jewelry stores with some level of selection. If you live in a larger city, there might be a watch only store like Tourneau.

Once you establish the size, style, shop around especially the sponsors here. If one of the stores you went to try things on gave you good service, give them a shot at matching the price.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
The point should be to leave your girlfriend... If she isn't happy with what you got her, why should she get anything at all?

If you insist on spending that much on her get her a Bvlgari.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Over the years I tried to get a nice watch for my wife; two tags and a couple of Michelle, none of which she liked. She finally picked out a Rolex she liked but she was still kind of on the fence. Finally we spent the time and she was the one looking...when she found this one she fell in love and still a year later loves it. She doensn't year it everyday but most days. It was expensive more than anything I own but she absolutley loves it and even knows the basic history of the style. She also has a greater appreciation for quality watches and mechanics (having to wind it daily) :biggrin:.

·
Registered
186 Posts
As much as you want to give her a quality Swiss timepiece, keep in mind that she doesn't seem to care about that aspect of a watch. She wants jewelry, and from your description she's not hugely concerned with timeless style or quality construction. The fashion brands will make her happier.

I bet she would love to have a Michael Kors watch - recognizable name, trendy, highly noticeable. Here is the Large Runway Double Glitz MK5575:

_6270948.jpg
(image from nordstrom.com)

It's big - 39mm diameter. It's well under your budget, so why not pick up two or three different fashion watches?

If a boyfriend had given me an Omega, I would have proposed to him on the spot. I would have run away screaming from that Michael Kors, though. *shudder*

·
Premium Member
6,208 Posts
You (the OP) mentioned Oris - definitely check out the Artelier collection - Diamond date, skeleton diamonds etc, there's quite a range there that she should consider

·
Registered
161 Posts
Why should she have a nice watch? Because you care about horology, and need to push your values on her? I understand your trying to do a nice and thoughtful thing, but let's be real... you're massaging your own ego. Sorry. So flame me for this. Let her find something she likes... point her in the right direction and let it go... If she finds the watch for her... make it an enjoyable gift, and not something she should have because that's where your values lie.

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
Can I just say that this is one of my favorite repeating thread titles? Every time I see it, I want to reply with this:

You'll have to include a picture of your girlfriend, along with a list of her positive and negative attributes. That's the only way I can estimate what kind of a watch I'll offer in trade for her. We also need to have a 7 day return period.
:sneaky2::001_tongue: :laugh::lol::laugh::lol:

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
My recommendation would be one of Stan's little beauties, a real classic and a cool piece of history to impress her girlfirends with their boutique branded watches.

lrf-antique-watches | eBay

Stan is forum member user name "literustyfan" and he can be found in the American watch forum.

·
Registered
186 Posts
My recommendation would be one of Stan's little beauties, a real classic and a cool piece of history to impress her girlfirends with their boutique branded watches.

lrf-antique-watches | eBay
He described his girlfriend as liking "flashy, shiny, bulky" and "cheaper, costume jewelry". The only reason to give her one of Stan's watches would be to precipitate a break-up.

On the other hand, if anyone wants to lure me away from my husband, any one of those little beauties would be a good start. Especially the 1903 Waltham... :001_wub:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts