WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 54 years old and since the age of 12 or 13 I have owned multiple watches.
The older I got the more varied and high(er) end my watches got.
I like to think that I have a relatively diverse collection.
But in all this time I believe that I have gotten less than 3 actual "compliments" and perhaps a shade more "comments" on any watch.Maybe it's because my watches are boring,or I wear long sleeves in the winter and beaters in the warmer "short sleeve" months, or I an generally unapproachable.
So I ask the membership who have recieved these compliments-what was said??
My daughter in law said of my Hammie Khaki Aviation-"Wow that's a big watch"
In an AD a guy saw my Sinn U1 and said "That looks like a good watch,what kind is it?"
Are these compliments or comments??
Maybe it has to do with ones work environment as the majority of people I deal with are not WIS types.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I'm older than you Foggy and have concluded that if waiting for compliments was the motivation for having a watch collection, I wouldn't waste my money on it. Most people just don't notice watches.
But there are people who notice but don't say anything. A few weeks ago a business associate of mine came in wearing a TT Submariner. So I commented "NICE watch" to which he replied "yeah, it's a Submariner just like yours." Obviously, he had noticed mine but never said a word until I spoke up.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
My Timex IWC/Hamilton look-alike has gotten several compliments over the years. Most recently the complimenter couldn't believe he'd complimented a Timex and seemed embarrassed by it, occupying as he does the upper middle-class liberal-elite demographic.

My Invictas gets noticed, perhaps for all the wrong reasons, just like the Timex. Few will argue that they are not beautiful watches, but they seem disappointed that they are not a Rolexes, or perhaps in some cases delighted that they are not. The ESQ has gotten positive responses, as well.

It should be noted that I work for the time being in a restaurant and that my obsession with time and timepieces is a kind of hook for congenial banter in that environment. It also gives me a chance to see what others are wearing.

I would say to others to not boast of your watches, but rather, to share with others your enthusiasm for watches and don't be afraid to just ask someone about his watch.

You'd be surprised how many folks are just dying to tell you all about their watches. Of course, there are those who'll just glare at you like you're some kind of psychotic leper, but what the hey! You learn a lot about people and watches either way.

·
Banned
2,275 Posts
I posted this before in the Invicta forum...

A couple of months ago, while going out, a women (with a Rolex:drool:) commented on my LE Invicta. Since the brand isn't known or sold here at all, and based on the looks, she assumed it was some very exclusive high end Swiss brand (Hey, the name is Latin after all :D). Went out with her for about a month. Needless to say, I got my money's worth out of it :thumbup: Since then I call it my Invicta LE Babe Magnet (Well, actually Rusty's idea ;))

·
Registered
16,743 Posts
I have gotten several compliments on my Invicta 2014 Limited Edition, two on my square case 18k gold and black Movado, some interest on my Grovana at Torneau and a couple random "nice watches" from passersby on random watches.
Most people don't notice. However, people who know me - and that I'm a watch geek - frequently check out my wrist. It's my best feature!

As an aside, I did have a watch dealer - a Palm Beach AD for Clerc, Patek, and other high end stuff who also deals in vintage - offer to buy my Tudor Sub right off my wrist. I burst out laughing. Daniel Mink (Renato) and his restaurant stories lept to mind. BTW, I did not even entertain an offer.

·
Registered
20,790 Posts
I've probably gotten less than 10 'comments / complements' from strangers in my life. I've gotten more from friends, but that's because they know I collect & usually look to see what I may have gotten new.. But rarely anyone outside those few friends say anything.

Foggy - you probably are on to something about you being un-approachable.. After all, I'd bet many people are scared of a 6' tall talking rooster wearing a watch! :scared: :scared: :T :lol:

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Foghorn ! You missed your chance by selling me your Beast ! All you have to do is wear it in to your local AD !:001_tongue: Better yet, wear that Russian Diver in public!

·
Registered
514 Posts
I get comments like ' aint that watch a little too big? like wearing a clock!' i find that quite insulting, but to each of his own.
I get comments like ' oo..that watch looks heavy and wow, the movement at the back is beautiful' though it's just a eta-unitas 6497.
I get comments from my own mum that ' you are overly obsessed with watches. your life partner has to look like a watch the next time!'

haha..so i am not sure compliments or comments. as long as you love it, who cares?!??

think it this way, those who do not give compliments are probably jealous that they do not know much about watches and cant afford it!?
those who compliment are probably being nice because they have nicer watches themselves in their opinions! hahaha.

I really believe that nicely designed watches are a matter of personal preferences.

·
Registered
416 Posts
One time at a company party the bartender noticed my Rolex LV sub and said "Your watch is really shiney" I said thank you. The only other comment on one of my watches was on the same watch but from a jewelry store worker who recgonized that it was a Rolex.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I have noticed that with so many fakes of high-end watches, as well as lower-end watches that look high-end (Fossil started this in my opinion, and Invicta is also covering the lower price points well now too) that most people have absolutely no idea what they are looking at on your wrist, and would rather not say anything, than appear to not know what they are talking about. (or to 'call you out' on a fake Rolex)

There seems to be a real fear of embarrassment, and being made to look like a fool because that didn't know what watch brand and model is on your wrist. (Women are less susceptible to this phenomenon it seems)

Back several years ago, when I got my Tag Heuer, I would receive compliments at a rate of about 1 a week. I was working in a video store, and dealing with the public quite a bit. (also keep in mind this was the eighties, and owning a VCR was a big deal- now homeless people have them!)

Several of our 'members' (membership was required back then) has subs, and they as well as others would compliment on my Tag Heuer chrono. Basically, if you saw such a complicated watch in 1988, it HAD to be real, as the fakes were so obviously garbage.

Times have changed... (that's funny!):001_tongue:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Watch compliments

Everyone at work knows that I am into watches, but never seem to remember the watches I own, even when I routinely wear all my watches. I always get a coworkers asking me if thats a new watch and what a nice watch even though they have seen it before. When I go to a AD, I usually get comments when I wear my JLC, and especially my Sothis, since most are unaware of this brand, they usually want to know more about it. When I go to the market or to the mall, I rarely get compliments.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have received compliments on many of my watches, especially in Jewelery stores. The funny thing is, unless it is a unique looking brand (i.e. Renato), the first question is: "Is that a Rolex?"

The general "Non-Watch-Loving" population has been pretty much programmed, for a lack of better terms, to just recognize the brand with heavy ad campaigns as the best (i.e. Rolex, Tag, Movado, etc.). Most people would probably have a fit if they saw the products put out by other HIGH-END manufacturers that they have never heard of (Franck Mueller, JLC, Glashutte, F.P. Journe, etc.)

The best somment I ever had was while walking through a trade show in Atlanta, a woman I have known for years was at her booth and I go walking by, wearing a Stainless Invicta COSC Admiral (51MM). The very night before she told me she was working on her reputation (talks like one of the guys) because she is a business owner now and needs to clean it up. Well, not even 24 hours later, in the conference hall, as I'm walking by, she grabs my arm out of nowhere and says quite loudly: "HOLY S***, how big is that watch????" So much for cleaning up the reputation. But it did bring 5 other people to discuss my watch and get an impromptu Invicta lesson!
:thumbup:

·
Banned
5,792 Posts
I had someone come up to me the other day and say these exact words. . .
"Foghorn has boring watches AND. . . he is unapproachable.":wink:

But actually, the watch that has generated the most attention is the Russian Diver GMT. My students wonder why a geezer would wear such a watch and a few geezers I know think it is a great watch to see WITHOUT their reading glasses.

On the other hand, I will walk up to other people if I see a watch that looks interesting. I have a student who was wearing a Tag F1 chrono. He was flattered that I recognized that he was wearing such a nice watch. . . for a young guy.

I accidentally insulted another student who works in one of our campus coffee shops a few weeks ago. I spotted what looked like an Invicta 8926 Pro Diver and asked him. He smiled and said that it was a Rolex Submariner that his mother bought him as a h.s. graduation present. I asked if I could take a closer look and while I am not an expert on Rolex watches, I believe it was a fake, albeit a very good fake. I didn't want to tell him that.

·
Registered
416 Posts
... the watch that has generated the most attention is the Russian Diver GMT.
I wore my new RD this afternoon to a Christmas dinner at the State Police Post (wife is a dispatcher there). Several commented on how big it was and could read it from across the room.

·
Registered
260 Posts
no matter what watch i have on, the only comment seems to be "is that a rolex?", and 90% of they are incorrect.

·
Banned
9,123 Posts
JDP87:

Unless my wires are crossed, I think you were also on the other board, correct? If so, see my signature how to get your post count back. If not, see below for some great information!!!!!

Let me be the 1st to welcome you to WTF!!!!

No doubt you will find this board quite interesting, as we have multiple forums, each with its own bunch of characters.

Have you seen our FAQ yet? http://watchtalkforums.info/forums/f...splay.php?f=12

Take about 30 seconds to read, and explains the forum.

If you are intersted in posting pictures, and we love to post here, check out Mr. Houston's Quick and Easy way to post. Guaranteed Success!!

POSTING PICS

Posting pictures is very easy. Here's what you do -

1. Register with a picture host like photobucket.com
This is a free service for up to 1,000 images.

2. Once registered, use the choose or browse function on your photobucket homepage to locate the image you wish to post, from your hard drive

PLEASE REMEMBER to set the maximum size of the image
800 x 600 is best
Anything else would make viewing and accessing the page for users difficult.

3. Click SELECT and then UPLOAD

4. Once uploaded, simply copy the fourth option under each image on your photobucket homepage and paste it into the body of your text here. This fourth link is the Image Tag.

If you have any questions at all, you have a few options too:

Just post a thread and ask! We answer a wide range here and everyone is willing to help anyone out. For stuff not covered by watches, you can post in the Community Forum.

You can also send an Administrator/Moderator a PM (Private Message) to do that, just click on the person's name, and then select private message.

So, put your seat back in an upright position, tray back in place, and strap yourself in and enjoy WTF!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts