WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend is the annual Watch City (Waltham MA) Steampunk Festival. Here are some photos--a few with clocks and watches. I saw one display where the artist took out the innards of a watch and replaced it with dead bugs, moths, etc. They were pretty cool looking but she did not grant me permission to photograph them as folks tend to do this and then steal ideas. Here are some photos from Watch City

·
Registered
109 Posts
pratt,

This is just speculation on my part as I had never heard the term Steampunk until I read this thread. I probably read the term, but do not remember where.

I do not know what ulack intended by pink people, but one definition is a literal one. Pink people are very light skinned people whose skin appears pink. It may be that there is a connection between Steampunk and pink people in that I think the Steampunk genre relies on exaggerations of history, technology, maybe even skin tone.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I think it has more to do with a large group of people who don't get out (of their parents basements?) much, having an out door get together. Some of them do look like they may be in need of a little sun tan lotion... probably a little late I'm afraid. A large number of those folks are also into "grunge" &/or "goth" styles, so a pale complexion is order of the day.

Actually, I rather like the "steam punk" aesthetic, if I were less self conscious, and a few decades younger, I could see myself there. Try a search of steam-punk, and you'll be surprised how much work these people put into it... and how cool much of it is!

·
Registered
637 Posts
Call me grumpy, a wet blanket or even a dark cloud but I think steam punk in regard to watches is horological vandalism:cursing: - - - (message to self- - remember to sleep with 1 eye open from now on)

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
pink people in new england in early may? well it is new england afterall and although we have had some warm weather early on the past couple of weeks have been overcast and raining at times--we need the rain. i had never heard of steampunks until last year when i wondered upon the festival (a few blocks from where i live). very interesting movement. geeky? well when i see sheldon on the big bang theory going steampunk then i will be sold. they are a little different--but a good different and they seem to know their stuff. what would steampunkers say about people who post about watches? i would bet steampunkers would really get off on skeleton mechanical watches. hey, steampunking means the old days and mechanical watches were the old days (and the new days of course).

i think the ultimate steampunker may have been sir edmund hillary--wearing mountaineering googles and a smith mechanical watch (which became the prototype of the rolex explorer).

oh, by the way, i spoke with the lady who puts things into watch cases--i thought they were bugs but she told me they were rodent bones. she collects owl "poo" which has bones in it and she digs them out and then makes designs some of which look bugs. some of the designs go into old watches and some end up on necklases, broaches, etc. quite a bizarre hobby i must say but the jewerly and watches looked really cool.

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
I have a pair of steampunk watch movement cufflinks. very cool

·
Super Moderator
15,641 Posts
...I think the ultimate steampunker may have been sir edmund hillary....
Oh, Sir, I beg to differ! The ultimate steampunker was fiction novelist Jules Verne. The idea of steampunk, after all, is nothing more than using period-present technology in order to accomplish a futuristic function. Examples include the gimmicks used in The Wild, Wild West (both television and cinema versions), or the series Warehouse 13. And Jules Verne was doing the same thing back in the mid to late 1800s by shooting people to the moon and having Captain Nemo circumnavigate the world in his ultra exotic super-submarine.

Reactions: WWIIBuff

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
Hey!! no pink people down here - - - we're all sun bronzed - - - aren't we???:confused1::confused1:
As long as you get out of the sun in time. Otherwise if you spend too much time in the sun down there you move past sun-bronzed and straight to oiled leather...

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
comet dude--to steam punk means to emulate jules verne, h.g. wells, etc. sir edmund in his googles was steam punking and of course, one has to tie sir edmund the steam punker with watches, and that means smith watchs. tanzing norgay it is alleged wore the rolex.

·
Super Moderator
15,641 Posts
....tanzing norgay it is alleged wore the rolex.
He wore a Rolex, not the Rolex. According to Tenzing's widow: Tenzing did indeed wear a Rolex on the famous 1953 expedition (as well as an aborted one in 1952). An arrangement was made with Rolex to supply 13 watches to that expedition. All were prototypes and, as was stipulated by Rolex, all 13 had to be returned to the company for examination and testing after the climbers returned to the base camp. Tenzing Norgay was given a presentation Bubbleback Rolex a year later, but it is not known whether or not it was the same type as the one he wore up Everest.

And yes- it is a matter of public record that Hillary wore a Smith. Many Smith watches were donated to various climbing expeditions.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts