WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've always liked watches but can't say I know very much about watch history and technical specs. However I recently got a new Rolex Datejust that I love. This got me thinking about my other watches.

What's everyone's opinion of designer brand watches like - Burberry, Gucci, Dior etc. I know they can't compare to something like Rolex etc, but they are swiss made.

Thanks! :thumbup:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Howdy cdub..Save your $$$ & get something thats made by watch nuts for watch nuts!Instead of throwing good money out for a cheaply made mass market bling watch look at watches from makers like:Deep Blue-Helson-Armida-Promethius-Irreantum- & several others I can't recall right now...If these are out of reach financially then look to the 200m Seiko Dive Watches or the new Large Size Military/Pilot style watches Seiko is making right now...Most of the large Seiko Mil/Pilot watches sell for around $150.00 & the Seiko Divers can be had around the same price & you will get a TON more watch!!!Hope this helps...

·
Banned
1,216 Posts
E8ArmyDiver said:
Howdy cdub..Save your $$$ & get something thats made by watch nuts for watch nuts!Instead of throwing good money out for a cheaply made mass market bling watch look at watches from makers like:Deep Blue-Helson-Armida-Promethius-Irreantum- & several others I can't recall right now...If these are out of reach financially then look to the 200m Seiko Dive Watches or the new Large Size Military/Pilot style watches Seiko is making right now...Most of the large Seiko Mil/Pilot watches sell for around $150.00 & the Seiko Divers can be had around the same price & you will get a TON more watch!!!Hope this helps...
+1

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input!!

what do you guys think about Cartier, Tiffany, or Mont Blanc watches?

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
Thanks for the input!!

what do you guys think about Cartier, Tiffany, or Mont Blanc watches?

Cartier stands on their own and does produce in-house movements. I don't care for many (call it most) of their designs and I think they are overpriced some, so I'm personally not too interested in them. But there's no denying make a very good product and use in-house movements for some of them, so they're a very respectable manufacture-brand IMO.

Tiffany are nice, but over prices IMO. As is Mont Blanc. MB has gotten better, but they still have a little way to go before I don't consider them a fashion brand.

The bottom line 'rule' for me, if you want a timepiece and their primary product is something other than watches, they're probably overpriced and just a 'fashion' line. Avoid them & buy a 'true' timepiece from someone who timepieces are their core business. And those are priced for virtually every budget, ranging from $200 Androids to $100,000 Zeniths.

That's not to say there isn't a place for them nor that you shouldn't buy one at the right price. If you like it that's and the price is right then all that matters. I'm simply saying a fashion watch usually won't have the same level of 'watchmanship' as a watch made by a company that primarily (or only) makes watches. But again, if it's what you like then by all means, buy it.

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
I've seen some pretty nice looking fashion watches. They aren't serious collector's items, but as accessories (which is all they really ever were intended to be) they work great.

Cartier is a serious brand. They make some very interesting pieces and while the style might not be for everyone they aren't dismissed by anyone as a fashion watch.

Tiffany has some very nice watches too, but I'm biased as I like their designs. They have a partnership with Swatch for their movements so they're just as good as any other watch in the higher end of the ETA powered realm.

Mont Blanc seems to be coming along, but they don't catch my eye so I've never checked them out.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Various

I own a few nice watches and have owned a few nice watches. Automatics preferred though I am eyeing a specific Casio Solar G-Shock (in case of armageddon). That said, I would highly recommend a Seiko as an initial, low priced, high quality watch.

I'm sure most of forum members can almost feel the quality of their automatic watch just by setting the time and date. Must say the my JDM SARB 023 - for the price - feels as good - maybe even better - as setting any of my other watches at a fraction of the price.

JDM = Japanese Domestic Market = not sold in the USA
Learned that term here on the forum so I though I would share.

I own 2 JDM's (thanks to Frank's help). One is 3 figures $XXX.XX and the other is 4 figures $X,XXX.XX and I feel that both are mechanically awesome. Not to take away from what the Swiss do but Seiko is certainly underrated by most US consumers.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I always sneered at fashion brands and never really saw any designs I liked until I saw a Gucci Pantheon Diver on someone's wrist. I got to check it out and found it to be a really nice watch so I had to have one but not at those MSRP prices. I went to the Bay and found a nice one. So now I look alittle more closely at the fashion brands just in case that are anymore gems out there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts