WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Only owning an Invicta and being a member of these foroums a VERY short time, I am by far not a historian of any kind on the brand. However, what I have noticed through online vendors, browsing through the 2008 Invicta catalog, and several posts here is it seems that model styles can change quite a bit through the years, and models will come and go, sometimes faster than we would like.

Some examples would be the slight changes I pointed out in another post with previous years Lupah faces vs. this years (where the 10/2 and 9/3 are split), the "Scooby" models, and the fact that my current model and first purchase (8926OB) technically does not exist within the 2008 catalog.

If I have REALLY fallen in love with my OB variant, should I purchase another one now and warehouse it for when I wear my current one out? Are there any maintenance issues I should be concerned with in purchasing an automatic and have it literally sit on the shelf for 2-3 years before using it? Have others held off on a certain model only to find out it's sold out everywhere and Invicta is not making it anymore? CS issues aside, is Invicta open to suggestions in bringing back certain models/styles of the past?

Thanks for the feedback. It's almost painful how much I'm now debating on my next Invicta. The 4469 is floating to the top of the list rather quickly. :cool1:

- MUX

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
I bought my first Invicta just over a year ago, a Miyota based automatic. I am still happy with it, but if it only lasts 2-3 years, I probably would not buy another one. Also, I wouldn't rush out to buy extra copies of a new watch. If you're patient you might be able to pick one up later as a clearance item. If you like a style you might also buy a variant or two and rotate. I notice a lot of collectors here own multiple versions of the pro diver.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My first 8926 lasted 10 years... With NO maintanance :blushing: This watch had a hard life.I am a Sr.missle mechanic and wore that watch as my every day watch,from -34 deg at Kodiak Alaska to +110 Deg. out near Salt lake city. It was droped on concrete. and lots of other abuse...still survived 10 years. My good friend is now buried in the back yard (though I may dig it up and put in a new movement)

·
Banned
927 Posts
If you're only storing the watch and not wearing it, wind it and let it run at least monthly and keep it protected from dust and dirt and dramatic temperature changes and I'd bet it will last 10 years with no maintenance.

It's hard to say if models will ever be reissued. There have been some that have been (the 8926 and 2014 come to mind), but sometimes there are minor differences in the newer versions.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
If I have REALLY fallen in love with my OB variant, should I purchase another one now and warehouse it for when I wear my current one out? Are there any maintenance issues I should be concerned with in purchasing an automatic and have it literally sit on the shelf for 2-3 years before using it? Have others held off on a certain model only to find out it's sold out everywhere and Invicta is not making it anymore? CS issues aside, is Invicta open to suggestions in bringing back certain models/styles of the past?
I have had the same thought process as you since they stopped making the coin edge bezel but yet introduced them on certain models. Here is my thought on this, since the 8926ob is not expensive and you like the look a lot then buy another one and keep it. Or keep the 8926 as your daily wear and then get the 4469 for the more formal occasions.

As far as do they last. They do, just get them serviced at your local watch place if they start acting up. Now Invicta does recommend you get them serviced every year or 2. However for a $100 watch I wouldn't. Just enjoy it and when it needs servicing then service them.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
My first 8926 lasted 10 years... With NO maintanance :blushing: This watch had a hard life.I am a Sr.missle mechanic and wore that watch as my every day watch,from -34 deg at Kodiak Alaska to +110 Deg. out near Salt lake city. It was droped on concrete. and lots of other abuse...still survived 10 years. My good friend is now buried in the back yard (though I may dig it up and put in a new movement)
Man, you got your monies worth out of that watch!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Warehousing choices...

All,

Thanks for the great feedback on a rather oddball subject. Think I agree with you Time2watch regarding getting a 4469 for more formal occasions. Cripes, I had to go and look at pictures of the Sapphire Ghost...Wow, is this slope slippery...Choices, choices...

Watchbear, 10 years for your 8926! That's a great deal for a watch you probably paid less than $100 for. Here's hoping my 8926 lasts near that long. As far as Alaska, it's a BTDT for me. Spent 3 years in North Pole. Neg-60 in January is nothing to sneeze at...unless you enjoy watching snot freeze in mid-air :D

- MUX

1 - 7 of 7 Posts