WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well one of the good things about Christmas is the number of watch related products I received as presents (no watches though!)

However upon flicking through my new watch books I discovered how much I like the jumping hours feature and the look of many of the dials that they belong on. After doing some research this morning I found that Christopher Ward did one as a limited addition last year but that none of them seem to be on sale. All the others I have seen on places like Chrono24 are well out of my current price range.

I don't like not being able to offer up any suggestions (with pics) as an OP but on this occasion I'm a little stumped. I wondered if there were any new model jumping hours watches on sale out there for a retail of less than £5,000 / $8,000 (my current new watch budget)? I could buy vintage but I'm nervous to do so based upon my lack of knowledge and/or no experience of pay pal, internet purchases, internation tax laws, shipping etc.

Any help or advice appreciated as always.

Regards,

·
Banned
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was not real impressed with the ALS Zeitwerk I "played with" at my local AD.

Are you wanting one with hands that jump (like Franck Muller Crazy Hours) or one that is more of a "digital" display?
Hi ~tc~

I want a single window hour display which jumps the hour forward when the minute hand reaches 60. I'm trying to cut down spend this year so a watch in the price band of the ALS Zeitwork is out of the question and I didn;t like it when I handled it in my AD either anyway!

Currently I have a shortlist of three but this is very embryonic. I have looked at some Gerald Genta's and as much as I like them I doubt I could get hold of one (and I am worried buying second hand as I have no track record or experience of doing so). Thanks to Watchbreath for his Epos suggestion but I didn't like the hour display at 3 o'clock.

Baume & Mercier Classima Jump Hour (Limited edition - about £3,000 if I can get one)

Watch Analog watch Silver Vision care Eyewear

Chronoswiss Delphis - CH 1423 (Steel - about £2,300)

Watch Analog watch Silver Watch accessory Clock

Perrelet Jumping Hour (Steel again - about £1,500)

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Font

·
Premium Member
2,632 Posts
Hi ~tc~

I want a single window hour display which jumps the hour forward when the minute hand reaches 60. I'm trying to cut down spend this year so a watch in the price band of the ALS Zeitwork is out of the question and I didn;t like it when I handled it in my AD either anyway!

Currently I have a shortlist of three but this is very embryonic. I have looked at some Gerald Genta's and as much as I like them I doubt I could get hold of one (and I am worried buying second hand as I have no track record or experience of doing so). Thanks to Watchbreath for his Epos suggestion but I didn't like the hour display at 3 o'clock.

Baume & Mercier Classima Jump Hour (Limited edition - about £3,000 if I can get one)

View attachment 34704
I saw one of the earlier jumping hours by them in person a couple of years ago and I found it to be very nice in person.

·
Banned
28,290 Posts
Baume & Mercier Classima Jump Hour

Chronoswiss Delphis - CH 1423

Perrelet Jumping Hour
All 3 are good looking watches. A group of us (LouS, Wetworks, myself, RJ007, and a couple others) handled the B & M at the Timecrafters show in NYC last year and were impressed with the finish. The Perrelet uses the same movement and they make some very good looking watches. I think the best dial of the bunch is the Delphis, and Chronoswiss never disappoints from my experience.

EDIT: Tommy beat me to the punch about handling it.

·
Banned
28,290 Posts
Oh, and you're going to have to deal with at least a couple years of the list getting longer and longer. :lol: That's how it goes in this hobsession. Took about 3 to 4 years total for mine to begin to shorten instead of lengthen constantly.

·
Banned
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think the best dial of the bunch is the Delphis, and Chronoswiss never disappoints from my experience.
I agree. I think I like the Chronoswiss best as well (a brand I have looked into after stating how much I liked your watch). Something about the retrograde minute hand appeals on the Chronoswiss Delphis too.

The only thing I think I might not like about all three is that the hour window will be obscured for about 5 minutes every hour by the minute hand. In my ideal watch dial this would be avoided somehow.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.