WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before heading over to the NAWCC I thought I would ask here is anyone can ID this vintage Waltham wrist watch. We have started a massive clean up and this was in a shoe box full of odd watches. The lug width is .430" and the od is 1.225". There is no lume on the dial or hands.

Watch Analog watch Light Watch accessory Clock

Watch Analog watch Clock Helmet Font

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Rim Circle Auto part

·
Administrator
6,314 Posts
Finding an actual model name might be difficult but i can tell you that the movement is a Model 1907, grade 365U - 15 jewel, size 3/0 dating to 1919 give or take a year.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks mikeyt, I realized after posting I could look up the serial number but you saved me the trouble. I hate to send her to the scrap heap, no stem or crown and the poor old girl is still trying to run.

·
Administrator
6,314 Posts
That movement is still available at reasonable prices in watches on eBay. Might just be worth picking up another non-runner and scavenging parts.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just wanted to make sure I wasn't ignoring something of real collector value. I have over 50 Accutrons that need to be serviced before I can even think of being distracted by this old gem. Don't get me wrong, I would love to give it a second lease on life but time is running out. PM me your address and I will send her to you to assume the role of custodian.🙂

·
Registered
25 Posts
I really like that offset dial, - it is a driver's watch, isn't it? I am actually looking for a crown similar to that one for a cushion-form military Elgin from WW1.

It is proving difficult!

·
Registered
25 Posts
What movement model does it have?
Sorry I hadnt seen this message earlier but it is a standard 12 ligne movement, possibly a 4.0? But the important bit is the tube on the case which the crown has to go over and that is proving difficult! The tap size is pretty standard for what it is.

·
Administrator
6,314 Posts
It's a Grade 417 size 3/0 produced in late 1918. I did a quick search thru my stash of old 3/0 parts but no luck...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for that but I thought that the crown was a case part, which was why I was commenting on it being like the Waltham subject matter of this thread. I wonder where one looks for a case part?

It is interesting that the Waltham case has the actual name Elgin on it! In an Illinois Case Co case!

Or do you think that this crown isn't in fact all that rare, and that I should be able to find a generic crown for it? (Without the word Elgin on it)

·
Administrator
6,314 Posts
Sorry, i didn't mean to imply that it was a movement part, only that I had a few old 3/0 watches that I've cannibalized over the years and that I might have a crown but.... I dont. There are a number of vintage / antique watch repair shops in NYC that will likely have what you are looking for.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts