WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to find anything about Waltham Permaforce Blue Eagle, I got several for my collection and I am not able so far to find anything about them. The ticking sound of the movements is very crisp and has a distinctive echo like my Pateks and Vacherons; it is frustrating not to find anything about Walthams wrist watches, the info is so scarce and nothing really regarding timelines, production years and specific movements...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,837 Posts
I saw this posted elsewhere and I agree with the thoughts expressed on the other forums. Waltham 'disappeared' in 1958 and then became a "in name-only" watch brand until the 70's when even the name disappeared. There is very little / no information available about Waltham watches during that time period. You might find an advertisement or two in ebay or other similar places but that is about all that is available. I'll admit i dont recall ever seeing an advertisement for one though.

The two that I've seen in the past both had FHF 67 movements (or variants of) in them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw this posted elsewhere and I agree with the thoughts expressed on the other forums. Waltham 'disappeared' in 1958 and then became a "in name-only" watch brand until the 70's when even the name disappeared. There is very little / no information available about Waltham watches during that time period. You might find an advertisement or two in ebay or other similar places but that is about all that is available. I'll admit i dont recall ever seeing an advertisement for one though.

The two that I've seen in the past both had FHF 67 movements (or variants of) in them.
thanks mikeyt_53, I have 4 of them and they are amazing hand winding watches, one is President-Permaforce and all have the Blue Eagle and Blue Waltham emblem on them; I believe they belong to the before going belly up era and even so there is no mention anywhere of them being ever made; very strange but I am very persistent and will continue this search for details; I am baffled though by the lack of archives for one the the biggest american watch producers, without interruption, for more than 100 years..

·
Super Moderator
5,837 Posts
thanks mikeyt_53, I have 4 of them and they are amazing hand winding watches, one is President-Permaforce and all have the Blue Eagle and Blue Waltham emblem on them; I believe they belong to the before going belly up era and even so there is no mention anywhere of them being ever made; very strange but I am very persistent and will continue this search for details; I am baffled though by the lack of archives for one the the biggest american watch producers, without interruption, for more than 100 years..
It wasn't just Waltham that lost all of their later records, Gruen destroyed all of their production/sales records after they sold out in 1958, Benrus & Helbros records were destroyed after bankruptcy along with many other watchmakers of that time period. They just didn't see any value in keeping old production & sales records back then. Now if we only had a time machine and could go back & change things....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts