WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

Similar size, but which one do you think is better?

• Ball Aviator 44mm

Votes: 11 68.8%
  • Lum-Tec M65, 44mm

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Dievas Vortex Professional, 44mm

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not quite ready to pull the trigger yet, but I'm kind of split between 3 watches. Even after making a decision (which is subject to change at any time, of course :001_smile:) it may be difficult to find one or two of the choices, but life's full of challenges...

#1 - First up, Ball Aviator 44mm
I love the look of this watch, but finding a 44mm instead of the more popular 46mm could be difficult. The only thing I would prefer is a better depth rating, but I could live with not swimming with it - I don't do much swimming anymore anyway...

#2 The upcoming Lum-Tec M65.
I don't have a black/orange combination and the cobalt chromium sounds waaay cool. Problem with this one is that it does look similar (dial-wise) to my M61, but that wouldn't worry me too much, as the different dial colours (blue vs black/orange) would make the watches different enough for me. Also 44mm

#3 The Dievas Vortex Professional. 500m WR, 44mm, and I don't have a white dial watch anymore (it's a reverse lume dial). Problem with this one is there's no date, even though it's a 2824-2 movement. I'd feel a bit shortchanged every time I looked at the dial and saw there was not date (although some people find this preferable). I think this one will be very hard to find as they have sold out....

What do you guys think - #1, #2, or #3? Interested to hear WHY, in case there are reasons I hadn't thought of as to why any are significantly better than the others.

·
Super Moderator
16,575 Posts
You don't know how much I really wanted to vote for Ball, but I can't. Just the other day my winding stem sheared (or broke) off right below the crown. This makes the second time in as many years that has happened. :cursing: I imagine very very few Balls suffer from this kind of metal fatigue, but it happened to me, therefore I cannot recommend it with a clear conscience. And you sound like you'll be bummed every time you strap on that Dievas. The only logical option was to vote for the LUM-TEC.

Reactions: turtlenator

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Well, I would go for the Ball, the LT is similar to the one you have, the other doesn't have a date, which sounds important to you and that leaves the Ball. The only drawback you say is WR which is actually rated well enough for swimming. Finally you say availability, since you are not in a hurry, its not a real problem. so whichever you go with, they are all nice, enjoy the shopping....:)

·
Banned
28,291 Posts
If the Ball came in black & orange I'd go that way. BLACK & ORANGE rule!!!

Looking at those 3 watches, I must really have a thing for sword hands.... :blush:
At least now you consciously recognize that. It took me years to realize 90% of my purchases didn't have numbers on the dial. In fact, it was a member here that pointed it out when I was joking about my favorite font for the word AutomatiC by showing a half dozen or so watches with that style lettering in common.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Can't handle white face with black case - the Dievas looks cheap.

Lum-Tec seems to be falling prey to Panerai syndrome - 4,000,000 versions of the same watch with different colors. Being in NZ, you should get a Magrette if you want this case shape.

The 44 mm Ball aviator is a great piece - I wish I had bought the one I tried on. WR is good enough for swimming, not that you would with a leather strap anyways.

Personally, I would probably go Longines Legend Diver over any of the three choices.

·
Premium Member
6,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't think I could get a Magrette any cheaper than you guys as they are marketed to the US more than the local market. I'm not really after another diver anyway (but I did find the 500m WR of the Dievas a nice bonus). So far the Ball is looking the best of the three, but finding one could be a challenge....

·
Registered
57 Posts
Personally, and based purely on the looks of each watch, I would go with the Lum-Tec. The face has more pop, cleaner lines (in my opinion) and is a quality piece. As for them going the way of the Panerai, that reminds me of an old saying. If it ain't broke, don't fix it

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
I voted Lum Tec only because you're familiar watch aand brand so I'm sure you'd be comfy. My personal choice would be the Ball. Keep us posted (decisions decisions):confused1:

·
Premium Member
6,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well it seems clear there's no love for the Dievas... :laugh:. I think I'll just put the feelers out quietly for the Ball.... no, the LT..... no, the Ball..... AAAAARRGHHH.
(Actually I'm surprised no one's posted "GET BOTH" yet)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Of all the pilot watches I've seen ( tons ) the Ball doesn't come close to making the cut. The M65 is fantastic, but I'm not sure how much you need it if you already have an M. The Dievas doesn't do it for me. My advice is keep looking.

·
Premium Member
6,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
LOL - the Dievas is really turning into the whipping boy of this poll :lol:. Although, if I was really keen, I wouldn't let the poll results convince me not to buy it, maybe just not to buy it right now.... (especially when there are so many other choices)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.