Votes: 5 7.8%
  • 10. Invicta SubAquaNoma III

Votes: 10 15.6%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The nominations were posted over at the old site.
Voting is here. Voting closes 12/31/07 - so there's plenty of time to make up your mind and for stragglers to cast their ballots.

·
Registered
16,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
No. 1

My one and only nomination is the Seiko 6R15 Diver, which was introduced in April of 2007. While this is a Japan-only model, it is readily available to the watch geek community at-large. And certainly more attainable than a $30,000 Patek.

I think the Seiko 6R15 deserves to be Watch of the Year because it offers a major upgrade in the movement over the watch series it replaces. In addition, it has world-class fit and finish and lume. The design is refreshing, too. Not another Rolex Sub clone.
Lastly, there's price: under $400, though the weak dollar has boosted it a bit.

* Calibre:6R15 Automatic with hand wind function
* SS case/SS Solid bracelet(SBDC001/003)
* SS case/rubber strap(SBDC005)
* 200 Water resist
* Hardlex glass
* Diamater:45mm(with out crown)
* thickness:13.3mm
* Antimag

·
Registered
16,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No. 2

I am going to have to go with this one-- love those tubes.

The BALL Engineer Master II Diver TMT provides the simplest safest solution for timing a dive. The rotating inner bezel operates with a screwed-down crown to ensure that the bezel cannot move under water. The red-colored O-rings seal the case for deep diving to 300 meters and also provide a handy visual cue that the crown is not completely screwed in.

The BALL Engineer Master II Diver TMT is capable of measuring environmental temperature from –30 to 110°F (-35 to 45°C) with a precision of 3% that is only achievable by a mechanical thermometer. The measurement is easily read from the round indicator at 6 o’clock. The BALL caliber 9018 movement that powers the watch ensures it will function perfectly from –40 to 140°F (-40 to 60°C) without any adverse affect on accuracy.

The black color of the Diver TMT case is not simply a matter of style. The Diamond-Like Carbon (DLC) of the case provides several benefits. Metals coated with DLC exhibit impressive hardness, low friction, high resistance to wear, and even electrical insulation. Research shows that DLC dramatically improves the performance and life of any material.

For deep diving, illumination is necessary to read the diver’s timepiece. At the depth of 100 meters that Guillaume reaches on a regular basis, the ambient light is about 1% of surface light. Recreational and professional Scuba Divers can often reach depths far lower. With 41 BALL micro gas tubes integrated into the rotating bezel, the diver will never have to worry about lighting again. The dial and hands also feature our micro gas tubes, giving a total of 53.

“Engineer Master II Diver TMT” Automatic Series

(Limited edition of 2006 pieces worldwide)

Reference number: DT1020A-PAJ-BK
Movement: Automatic BALL Cal. 9018
Cold temperature endurance to -40°C
Functions: Hours, minutes, sweep seconds; date; bidirectional rotating inner bezel; thermometric indicator ranging from -35°C to 45°C; 53 micro gas tubes on hour, minute, second hands and dial for night reading capability
Case: Stainless steel case with Diamond-Like Carbon (DLC); diameter 42mm; height 14.9mm; anti-reflective sapphire crystal; screwed-in crown, water-resistant to 300m; antimagnetic to 4,800A/m; shock-resistant – withstands 5,000Gs shock test
Band: Rubber strap
Dial: Black

·
Registered
16,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No. 3
Well to pick just one outstanding watch of the year is extremely difficult. But, I think for my choice it needs to be the IWC Da Vinci Kurt Klaus Perpetual Calendar, a tribute to Kurt's 50 years of technical achievements with IWC. Available in a limited edition of 50 pieces in platinum & 500 pieces in rose gold.

The Da Vinci has been in production since the '70's, but 2007 sees an entirely new version of the Da Vinci Perpetual including a new tonneau design and new completely IWC-manufactured chronograph movement.

The Da Vinci Perpetual is programmed to not need any adjusting of the calendar date for 500 years.

The Da Vinci records chronograph time in 1/8 of a second, moon phase, day, date, month decade, century & millennium - yet can be set using only the crown.

One of the most advanced moon phases available in a wristwatch, being accurate to within 1 lunar day every 122 years.

For all of its complexity, the perpetual calendar movement consists of only 83 components.

And a technical tid-bit:
The millennium date wheel trains reduction ration is 1:6,315,840,000. In the course of 100 years the balance will complete the 25,228,800,000 vibrations required to move the century slide a mere 1.2mm's.

For all this, the Da Vinci Perpetual Calendar gets my vote for 2007 Watch of the Year!!! :p :p :p

Photo Credit IWC

Photo Credit wbarker

·
Registered
16,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No. 4

I'd like to nominate the Philip Admirale. The textured white dial is beautiful. The 8 piece stacked case design is very unusual. It is powered by the amazing Valjoux 7750...sapphire front and back of course...fit and finish on the watch is something you would expect in a watch costing much more. And given the price (right around $600), you just can't go wrong...especially with the way movement prices are going.

Michael

·
Registered
16,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
No. 5

ROLEX GMT II

* The movement. The movement has been updated to the new calibre 3186. The 3186 doesn't have any new features, but apparently the movement of the hour hand is much smoother and more precise when setting the hour hand than it was with the 3185. Additionally, the main spring has been replaced with one which is more temperature resistant, which makes the watch more precise. (Read more about the new movement in this post by Henk Hoving.)
* New dial design. The new GMT Master II is outfitted with what has become known as the "maxi-dial" which means that the hour markers are larger, and both the the minute hand and the hour hands are slightly wider.
* The bezel. The bezel on the new GMT Master is ceramic rather than painted aluminum. This type of ceramic is extremely durable and resistant to abrasions and discoloration.
* Triplock crown. The new GMT Master IIs use the Triplock crown system of the Submariner, Sea-Dweller, and Yacht-Masters. The crown is larger, heavier, easier to grasp, and in theory should make the watch more water resistant, though I don't believe Rolex has changed the depth rating.
* Green 24-hour hand. The 24-hour hand on the older GMT Master IIs is read. Rolex seems to have taken an interest in green lately as evidenced by the new green 24-hour hand, green bezel of the anniversary Submariner, and the green crystal of the new Milgauss (article coming soon).
* Inner bezel engraving. The inner bezel of the new GMT Master IIs are engraved with the word ROLEX all the way around.
* Polished inner-links. The links in the center of the Oyster bracelet are polished rather than brushed.
* Slightly taller case. The case on the new GMT Master II is slightly taller to accommodate the new movement.

·
Registered
16,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
No. 6

Breguet La Tradition 7047BA/11/9ZU. Is this a 2007 or 2006 watch?

I know this is just a dream-watch for me. but I really like it. What can I say? Breguet is THE watchmaker for tourbillons and many other complications. Any of his works are works of art and tradition.

Quoted from official website:
' TRADITION wristwatch in 18-carat yellow gold. Hand-wound movement with tourbillon and fusee-chain transmission. Off-centred silvered-gold dial, hand engraved on a rose-engine. Power-reserve indicator on the barrel drum. Breguet overcoil. Sapphire caseback.'

Quoted from lacotedesmontres.com website:

Tradition Breguet Tourbillon a Rocket
Réf. Ref. : 7047BA/11/9ZU : 7047BA/11/9ZU
Case: Round 18-carat yellow gold to build finely grooved.
Sapphire.
Diameter 41mm.
Fasteners rounded and welded, bolted bars.
Water resistant to 30 meters.

Dial : 18-karat gold silver, eccentric to 7am and guilloché by hand.
Individually numbered and signed Breguet.
Tour hours in Roman numerals.
Tourbillon 60 seconds 1h.
Needles Breguet from "apple" hollowed blued steel.

Movement: . Manually wound with Whirlpool.
Numbered and signed Breguet.
Cal. 569. 16 lignes.
43 rubies.
Frequency 3 Hz
Reserve de marche to 50 hours with an indication of the reserve walk on the drum barrel.
Couple assured constant over the whole of the watch with a transmission fusée-chaîne.
Upper deck of the cage vorticity titanium.
Barrette whirlwind form BREGUET non-magnetic stainless steel.
Escape to anchor online.
Balancier BREGUET titanium 4 screws precious gold.
Spiral BREGUET.
Fitted in 6 positions.

this is just the very high end watch for me.

·
Registered
16,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
No. 7

Perrelet 1777 Skeleton Chronograph

Perrelet celebrates its 230th anniversary with a limited edition skeleton chronograph. This highly unique limited edition anniversary timepiece is a symbol of the company’s heritage and continued success since it was started by Abraham-Louis Perrelet. His invention is still present in all automatic watches that are wound by rotating weight (rotor).

More pictures after the jump.

Only 77 individually numbered anniversary watches are to be made worldwide to honor this event. The watch is set in a modern two-tone 18K white gold and rose gold case, combined with a sleek, natural rubber strap provide a modern, stylish contrast. The strap features a tri-folding clasp and is extremely comfortable to wear.

Perrelet’s P-231 movement of 260 individual parts provides the ultimate in precision, ticking on at a smooth 28,800 vibrations per hour. Slated for debut in October, 2007 the A230 Anniversary Skeleton Chronograph will retail for $28,000.

·
Registered
16,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No. 8

This may come as no surprise, hence the snazzy avatar, but my pick will have to be the TAG Heuer Link Calibre S Black Dial (CJF7110.BA0587).

TAG have this to say:

TAG Heuer has devoted all of its avant-garde, mechanical watch-making expertise to the achievement of precision. The Calibre S has an exclusive electro-mechanical movement, developed and patented by TAG Heuer. A real innovation in watch-making, the Calibre S represents a complete break from traditional codes of ordinary chronographs, which, since 1822, have used three counters that are difficult to read.

This revolutionary movement offers an innovative and intuitive interface for displaying the times measured: the central hands (hours, minutes, seconds) exhibit the time and fulfil chronograph functions to provide a time display of unrivalled simplicity. With its complex structure comprising 230 components and 5 bidirectional micromotors, the Calibre S offers unique functions:

* In time mode, reverse-movement date display with perpetual calendar applicable until 2099.
* Intuitive, easy-to-read chronograph with 1/100th of a second precision.
* Measures simple time, split time and two periods of time that follow at very short intervals.

Movement: TAG Heuer Calibre S, an electro-mechanical movement.

An outstanding feat of technology, this exclusive electro-mechanical movement combines mechanical and quartz timekeeping to offer functionality unrivalled in three centuries of watch-making. No fewer than 230 components, including 5 bidirectional motors, ensure very high-precision functions.

In terms of design, I look at it in a similar vein to the Omega Seamaster Pro Black Dial (2252.50.00). Obviously not quite as refined and 'traditional' however very versatile in it's wearability. Able to be dressed up or down with no effort at all.

At a very accessable price point of AUD$3600, The Link Calibre S provides class and style, along with a rugged durabilty. (can you tell I sell watches for a living?!?!?)

·
Registered
16,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
No. 9

Vacheron Constantin Patrimony

Boasting the new in house Movement by Vacheron Constantin caliber 2460 R31R7 which beats at 28,800 vph, has 27 jewels & an approximate Power Reserve of 43 hours.
# This watch features:Silver Opaline (slight off-white colored) dial with 18kt Rose Gold hands & index hour markers.
# Retrograde Day & Date complication.
# 22kt Yellow Gold oscillating rotor with beautiful hand engraved pattern finish.
# Movement is finished with the Côtes de Genève pattern.
# The movement has achieved the qualification prestigious Poinçon de Genève hallmark aka the Geneve Quality Hallmark.

·
Registered
16,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No 10

Invicta Sub Aqua Noma3

49mm in diameter, 20mm in thickness, crafted from solid 316L stainless steel, and weighing in at over 350 grams, this is the heftiest watch to ever be presented here on ShopNBC! Resting between the sapphire front and back crystals is the prized Valjoux 7751 automatic chronograph movement with day-of-the-week, pointer date, month-of-the-year, 24-hour indicator, chronograph, and moon phase indicator. Only a small initial quantity will be made available for this Host Pick with the rest coming down the road a few months. So serious collectors need to get in on this right away!"

This will be your favorite in a second!
Invicta Men’s Subaqua Noma 316L Stainless Steel Automatic Chronograph Bracelet Watch

The round silver-tone case is crafted with 316L stainless steel with an exhibition back and a black unidirectional rotating bezel. Silver-tone is repeated on the dial with luminous hour marker positions at all positions and luminous hands. Sub dials are located at 12:00, 6:00, and 9:00. Located inside the sub dial below 12:00 is a day and month window. For your love of the night sky is a moon phase feature. Silver-tone is incorporated into the bracelet design featuring textured black center links. Screw pins and locking closure are components of the bracelet.

# Bracelet: Stainless Steel
# Movement: Swiss Automatic Chronograph Valjoux 7751
# Crystal: Sapphire
# Crown: Screw Down w/Function Pushers
# Clasp: Deployant
# Bracelet Measurements: 9"L x 26mm W
# Case Measurements: 50 mm
# Water Resistance: 50atm – 500m – 1650ft
# Model Number: IN3955

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Hey El Boskoe
I gotta go with the Da Vinci:drool::drool: One word sums it up.

Beeeeyooootiful:thumbup::thumbup:

Regards
Bob:D

·
Registered
16,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I nominated the Seiko - but voted for the IWC.
Duh!
I suppose the Seiko is the Real World Watch of the Year - but that's not the question.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
The nominations were posted over at the old site.
Voting is here. Voting closes 12/31/07 - so there's plenty of time to make up your mind and for stragglers to cast their ballots.
Like the VC, Great Maestro actually love it:001_rolleyes:

·
Registered
129 Posts
wow a lot of great watches to choose from but i voted for the iwc da vinci.

i have been a long time fan of iwc and the da vinci is really one beautiful design.

here is a great video (about 5 min.) that shows the whole da vinci line from the automatic to the chrono to the kurt klaus perpetual calendar (WOW!!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw7Kj6cBwgU&NR=1

1 - 17 of 17 Posts