WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vintage Watch Books&Ref. 'The Priceless Possession of a Few' Collection from Estate

I recently purchased a large collection of books from an auction of an estate.
The total number of books is around 150, about 100 of them are about watches and such.
The collection is a mix of price guides, manuals, history and other things. Ranging from American, to Swiss, to German and even English watch making.
Most of the books are from the 1970's-1980's, but there are some that predate that, into the 1950's and 1960's. Some of the books are in German or Swedish.

I'm making this thread because over the next few days, I'll be posting bits and pieces of the collection. I think there's some gems in there that could be very useful to the watch community, I just need to know which ones. Some I'll keep, some I'll sell; I haven't decided which yet.
I can't scan them all in, but I might try to scan a few in if need be.

Of course I have to consider making a profit. I spent about 140~$ on all the books, so it would be nice to make some dough back while keeping some around for me.

Anyway, here's the immediate ones that caught me eye.
The two pocket watch books are from the 80's, they contain price guides, part numbers, movement names ect.
The box might be a Rolex box, I dunno.

The little Ball watch is a cardboard sigh, I'm not sure what to do with this one.

First is an Elgin service manual from 1958. There's also an addendum of sorts, Elgin sent this watch guy some new pages for some new watch in the 1960's. I'll probably scan this one in on another date. It's in great shape overall.

The little yellow book is really interesting. It's apparently the history of the Gruen watch company. First edition it seems, but there' no series number or copy number. I did a little bit of research and I can't find that many references to it. One guy mentioned it's one of the best history of Gruen watch co.

Thats it for today, I'm tired from hauling all these books home. I'll post more in a day or so once I go through them all.

·
Registered
7,739 Posts
Wow, there is some interesting stuff in there! I'm sure a few collectors here will be drooling over some of that!

·
Super Moderator
15,654 Posts
What a great idea! We don't talk enough about the collector's reading material IMO.

Reactions: Esrange

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What a great idea! We don't talk enough about the collector's reading material IMO.
I have to agree with this, I don't think I've seen a collection of books like the one I got ever. Most of the stuff will probably never be in print ever again, and I'm not sure if they're on any website

·
Registered
446 Posts
Content removed by the person to whom the intellectual property belongs due to disagreement with site policy and to avoid allowing the site owner to exploit this said content for his selfish monetary gain

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's my little piles of books, I'm not sure if any of it is interesting to you all.

I might go more in depth once I get my scanner working

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Michael Harold book is a great read-I've read my copy of it twice!
I've only thumbed through some books, but I do want to read a few of them, especially some of the antique pocket watch ones. They have some great pictures and specs in them, some even have part numbers and details on how to disassemble them!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Congrats. Very nice find!

:w00t: T.P. Camerer Cuss - I love that name!
I really gota take pictures of all of them, several names come up multiple times..

·
Super Moderator
15,654 Posts
Here's my little piles of books, I'm not sure if any of it is interesting to you all....
You're totally right. Nothing good there. You should ship the whole lot to me...I'll dispose of them for you! :001_tongue::lol::001_tongue:

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You're totally right. Nothing good there. You should ship the whole lot to me...I'll dispose of them for you! :001_tongue::lol::001_tongue:
Suuuure
Shipping will be about a grand... :001_tt2:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts