WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post to this forum, so I'm hoping I'm doing it right... I've been working on watches as a hobby for a very few years. Don't claim any special skills or expert status.

Anyhow, a couple of years ago, I bought two older automatic Swiss watches off the 'bay. Didn't pay much for them cause they weren't mint or anything like that. The Adria runs fine and keeps reasonably accurate time. The Temporis wasn't running at the time of purchase, and I assumed that it would need a good servicing. When I shook it to wind it, it would run for maybe five seconds, and stop. So, I chucked it into a dresser drawer. Got it out the other day, and it started and ran. Kept rather accurate time for about two days, then stopped again.

So, I worked up the courage to look into it. I partially disassembled it and verified that the pivot fork and the gear that powers it was free spinning, and let the tension off the main spring. I put it back together and it started right up. Now, this was not a full disassembly and cleaning. I'm working up the courage to do that.

The problem is that while the watch is now running, it's running way too fast. Compared to the Adria, it's 18 mins fast. About the same for my other watches and the clock on my cell phone and computer.

I've moved the hand on the regulator back toward the - almost as far as it will go, it was 30 min fast this morning, so maybe it's slowing down. But it seems odd to me that I could do this, reset it to match the time, and have it work its way back up.

I know it's probably not worth much, but I like it and want to put it into the wearing rotation. Any advice and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you,
-Bill

·
Banned
5,433 Posts
Vintage watches,esp. low priced ones fron the bay,are fickle.

If you really want the watch to work plan on a complete overhaul and figure that into nearly any vintage watch purchase.
Some of the more obscure brands may be non-repairable due to extinct parts etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What do you know about this brand? I'm not able to find anything about it. Probably one of those Swiss brands that existed before the industry consolidated, but I don't know anything for sure.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts