WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been enjoying my wonderful modern "budget" automatics (Bulova and Timex are both making some very attractive watches, IMO), and decided to take a chance on a vintage 17 jewel "Paul Perregaux", but I'm having trouble finding information on the company. Can anyone here help steer a noob? Thanks !

·
Super Moderator
16,879 Posts
Do you guys belong to a club or something? It seems every watch site has a member asking this question.:001_tongue::001_tongue::001_tongue:

And every answer is the same: "We don't know". Well, I'm going to be different and say I don't believe there's any connection...
1) Perregaux is not an uncommon name in the Swiss/French part of Europe.
2) Mention is made several times of Paul's invention of the screw-down crown (with Georges Peret) and subsequent sale of that patent to Hans Wilsdorf who founded Rolex. None of these instances connect Paul Perregaux to the G-P manufacture.
3) The official history of Rolex also credits Paul Perregaux with the screw-down crown, but make no reference to Girard-Perregaux.
4) The manufacture Girard-Perregaux does not claim any relationship with or to Paul Perregaux.

Indicators point to there being no connection between Paul Perregaux and Girard-Preergaux. If anyone knows of such a connection, they're keeping it to themselves.
Paul Perregaux appears to have been a modest yet very talented independent watchmaker who developed his own private label watch business and just happened to have a famous last name.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.