WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

Vintage omega sea master a bett gift than new ... Thoughts please

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  agee 
#1 ·
Hi there ... I am brand new to this... My husband is about to turn 40 and has expressed a wish for an omega sea master. Do you think I should be looking at new ( expensive but lovely) or looking for a vintage 1972 version as this is the year of his birth. What are the implications of this?? Is it a good year for sea masters?? Totally out of my depth and I really want to make it a special much loved gift. Thought s / afvice hugely appreciated x jules

#2 ·
Hi and welcome to WTF! You're very considerate to take the time to join here and ask about buying your hubby a nice watch for his birthday.:thumbup1:

As to your questions, the short answer is get the new Seamaster. The reason why I say that is you seem to be looking to commemorate the occasion and a new Seamaster will have a bit of heirloom quality about it since they are desirable. The same can't be said of the Seamasters from his birth year. While not bad, they certainly weren't considered to be the top. The Seamaster of the '50s and '60s on the other hand were considered the pinnacle for Omega.

Best of luck and let us know how it turns out.:thumbup:

#3 ·
Being 40 myself, a birth year watch would mean more to me. Not to mention the thought you put into the gift.

You can find a day date model Seamaster from 1972. It will have a 7xx series movement, one of the last of the legendary Omega movements. (the movement is the engine inside the watch)

Anyway, best of luck to you.

#5 ·
The chances of finding a 752 Seamaster from that year are slim to none, unless you are talking about one of the cushion-type cased examples. Most of those contain the 751 (a plus), but I don't think that style is particularly popular. I think there may have been a Geneve that ran with a 752 into the '70s, but I could be (and likely am) wrong.

I received my SMP for my 40th. Although it is a quartz, it will still be passed along. I bought a Seamaster (used) for my son when he gets old enough which was made in his birth year. For my birth year I went ahead, did my research and made my own purchase. I enjoyed the whole process and it wasn't overly indulgent at the same time, so win-win.

My vote for a brand new heirloom to pass down to generations still stands. :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.