WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, here are some pics of a vintage Omega Constellation Pie-Pan model that I've recently inherited from my dad. I'm new to the watch collecting, and this and a few others of his have really sent me into looking at vintage watches.

- Omega Constellation
- Automatic chronometer
- probably not original band - dad like these black metal bands
- Not sure on year, but I know it's been in my dad's possession for quite some years now.
- the wind knob - one pull to set time, two pulls to set date (date automatically changes when pulled out - need to keep pulling to change date - not wind)

Does anyone know anything about these models? Anyway to value them? I know it's pretty beat up - any way to refinish them or polish the glass?

Thanks for any information!

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
Yes, there's value to them - except yours is missing the gold observatory medallion on the caseback. :confused1: It also has a replacement crown. The push-pull date setting tells me it's a caliber 564, one of the best mass produced movements of all time. The crystal is plastic and can be polished, but have a watchmaker do it as part of a service. Don't use the watch with dried up oils or you'll ruin a nice heirloom.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, there's value to them - except yours is missing the gold observatory medallion on the caseback. :confused1: It also has a replacement crown. The push-pull date setting tells me it's a caliber 564, one of the best mass produced movements of all time. The crystal is plastic and can be polished, but have a watchmaker do it as part of a service. Don't use the watch with dried up oils or you'll ruin a nice heirloom.
Hmmm....I thought it was funny that the medallion that I see in all the other pictures was missing....any chance you think I can replace the parts if i find them on ebay or something to restore it?
I wasn't sure on the crown. It has the Omega symbol on it, but i noticed it was a slightly different shape.
Anyway to know what the original strap looked like?
As for value, where's the best way to find that?

Thanks again!

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
Check eBay for parts. The correct crown is 10 sided and you might even find a replacement caseback. Just be sure to enlist some help from a watchmaker to buy the correct parts and install them. Might as well get it done in one shot while you have it serviced.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check eBay for parts. The correct crown is 10 sided and you might even find a replacement caseback. Just be sure to enlist some help from a watchmaker to buy the correct parts and install them. Might as well get it done in one shot while you have it serviced.

Great, thanks for the advice.

Any idea on the band? I believe my dad replaced all his bands with these metal linked versions. Any idea what an original would look like?
Most of the images I've seen look to have leather bands.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, I found the Omega Vintage Database, and I think I found my model....

From the Website:

Calendar
Gents' leather strap

Reference
CD 168.0005
International collection
Movement
Type: Automatic chronometer certified
Caliber number: 561 / 564
Cal. 561
24 jewels, created in 1958
Cal. 564
24 jewels, created in 1965
Both with central sweep-second hand
Functions
Date, Chronometer
Case
Gold-cap on stainless steel
Case back
Screw-in
Dial
"Pie-pan" type, De Luxe version with hand-rivetted gold hour markers and "Dauphine" gold hands.
Crystal
Armoured hesalite
Bracelet
Leather
Water resistance
30 meters

I believe that the back is incorrect since mine says 168.005, and none of those models are Constellations.
And I believe you are correct about the crown. I believe this is the correct one:

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
The data base frequently adds a 0 after the decimal point. Your caseback says the correct number. (I've owned several of those in various metals. :wink:)

The correct crown:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To service the movement, replace the band and crown, and polish the piece, I'm looking at $400. Does that quote seem high to you guys? (Not sure if it includes the medallion though).

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
If it includes a new caseback or replacing the medallion it's a bargain. Without that, it's still an okay price but be sure to tell them to be very careful with the crispness of the facets on the lugs and bezel.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
If it includes a new caseback or replacing the medallion it's a bargain. Without that, it's still an okay price but be sure to tell them to be very careful with the crispness of the facets on the lugs and bezel.
Great, thanks for the advice. I'm super new to this, so I'm not sure what the going rates are. I think i may go for this, especially if the medallion is included.

Also, what about the crown on this one? It isn't the 10 sided one, so does that mean it's not original, or did Omega make a version with this style?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ugh, the $400 does not include the medallion. I guess I'll have to find one on ebay or something.
Thanks for all the advice ulackfocus!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Did you check your Dads things it maybe in a draw or box with other bits and pieces.
Yes, we went through everything. Unfortunately, nothing. I have a feeling, he may have lost it over the years, or got it without and never knew it was supposed to be there.
I ended up buying an Omega replacement anyway.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So i finally obtained all the parts that I need, and I am shipping it all off to the watchmaker for the restoration.
Hopefully everything will go smooth and quick!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How much that restoration will cost you and one thing more..are you sending that watch off to a trusted or an authentic Omega watch maker..reply..
With the new parts, roughly $500. And yes, am sending it to a reputable watchmaker - good recommendations.
I probably could have gotten one complete already for around that price (maybe), but this has sentimental value too since it was my dads.

Can't wait to get it back!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Looking forward to the pics upon return!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts