WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hamilton Cushion
available 1940-1949 - not catalogued
10K yellow gold filled case
17-jewel 986 or 986A movements left over from the 1920's
27mm x 27mm case size (33mm over the lug tips)
16mm strap width
1,081 manufactured
$50 new

This particular watch suffers from dial rash due to being without a crystal for some time. See Will Roseman's excellent research on this wartime model
http://www.vintagewatch.info/Detail%20-%20Cushion%20Round-%2010K%20GF.htm

Registered

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i actually have been looking for this watch for a while. I love these obscure Hamilton military watches (along with the bomb timer and others).
This is not a military watch. Because all of their manufacturing output was dedicated to the war effort, Hamilton utilized leftover assembled movements from the 1920's and put them into 10K gold filled (instead of the normal 14K gold fill) cases identical to cases from the 20's and sold them to consumers to generate additional revenue.

Registered
ah thanks for the clarification.

I do still like the uniqueness of the dial configuration (although a lot of people don't like the subdial at the 9 o'clock). Hmmm... I still will keep up my search for this watch!

This is not a military watch. Because all of their manufacturing output was dedicated to the war effort, Hamilton utilized leftover assembled movements from the 1920's and put them into 10K gold filled (instead of the normal 14K gold fill) cases identical to cases from the 20's and sold them to consumers to generate additional revenue.

Registered
i actually have been looking for this watch for a while. I love these obscure Hamilton military watches (along with the bomb timer and others). I was outbid numerous times already on ebay for this. To think a pretty good example (not working but with a good case and dial) sold for over $300. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=280283111968&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=018
Couple of points...

The watch you were bidding on was one of the original 1920's models with a solid 14K gold case. Not one of the WWII cushions, none of which had solid gold cases. I'm not crazy about the redial on that example, although I've heard it could be re-restored as original.

All of these have a Wadsworth 10K hallmark on the outside of the case, which are not found on the 1920's watches. Here are some closeups of mine, which has the standard 986A movement w/o a seconds hand:

Some of these cases were gold filled over silver. I've read that the silver cases have an "S" prefix, this one does not, so I don't know if this case is silver or base metal underneath:

Outside hallmark only found on the 1940's version:

Hope this helps,
gatorcpa

Premium Member
Lawrence -- I think you will find that the vast majority of these Cushions do not have the second hand at 9. Most have sub-6 second hands or no second hand at all, with the 986A inside. While I am a big fan of this on Illinois, I agree with Tom that the example you missed-on had a very poor redial. (Though I like the dial on Tom's war-Cushion very much!) I own a 1920s version and a war-time Cushion also -- I can't remember if one has a sub-6 second hand or not. If memory serves, one is green and the other is white. The 1920s example is 14K (filled or solid) and the war watch is 10K filled just as Tom wrote. While I forget which is which, I'll try to pull them out this weekend and see if I can get a decent photo of them side-by-side. Tom probably can tell us which is more rare, but it seems to me that in the past I saw a lot more 1920s Cushions than I did the war Cushions, but lately this has not been the case. The WWIIs tend to be in a lot nicer condition -- perhaps they did not see much wrist time since once the war was over, their owners might have replaced them with something more modern and fashionable? In the past I was not very attracted to the Cushion, but now that I have a family of O-sized and 6/0 Cushions, they have grown on me a bit... perhaps like a fungus? :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.