photo by B. Girouard

Hamilton Custer
catalogued 1935-1936
19-jewel model 982 movement
14K yellow gold case
28mm case width
38mm over the lug tips
19mm strap width
3 dial options: $80.00 for 18K applied gold numerals (most common), $77.50 for black enamel numerals, & $80.00 for applied gold marker dial (least common)
production figures unknown

A scarce model in its own right, the ratio of AGN dials to the other two variations is roughly 25:1

1935 catalog

1936 catalog

Registered
Thanks Tom, you've solved a mystery for me...

I saw this watch for sale not long ago:

I thought it could be a Custer, but had never seen that dial style before and couldn't find another like it. :confused1: It went for a very reasonable price.

I didn't bid high as I just wasn't sure what it was. Now I know. I won't miss it next time. ;)

Thanks again,
gatorcpa

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought it could be a Custer, but had never seen that dial style before and couldn't find another like it. :confused1: It went for a very reasonable price.

I didn't bid high as I just wasn't sure what it was. Now I know. I won't miss it next time. ;)

Thanks again,
gatorcpa

Yes, it did go for a reasonable price. I had already exceeded my watch budget for the month, or I would have bid on it. You'll probably have some competition from me the next time this dial option comes up.

FYI gator, if you're a member of the NAWCC, you can borrow the CD's of the Hamilton catalogs to help with model identification. Not all of the dial options are listed, though.

Registered
Question about Custer dial configuration

photo by B. Girouard

Hamilton Custer
catalogued 1935-1936
19-jewel model 982 movement
14K yellow gold case
28mm case width
38mm over the lug tips
19mm strap width
3 dial options: $80.00 for 18K applied gold numerals (most common), $77.50 for black enamel numerals, & $80.00 for applied gold marker dial (least common)
production figures unknown

A scarce model in its own right, the ratio of AGN dials to the other two variations is roughly 25:1

1935 catalog

1936 catalog

I was browsing a thread which led me to the master photo thread for the Cushion, and the next watch was the Custer. I have one from 1935 (inscribed) and the dial is one that I believed to be original. However, having read Tom's post above, I'm not sure. Here is a picture of mine - sorry, quick one with my BlackBerry - which shows the dial with the outline similar to a Cabot or the gold marker dial in the picture above. In all other respects, it appears to my untrained eye to belong to the Custer. Thoughts?

Registered
Tom, I see what you mean as I look at the photos above. Bummer, I thought maybe it was a one-off. Oh well, I guess I'll be on the lookout for a dial for my Custer. On the positive side, I wasn't that enamored with how it looks - it didn't clean up that well. One other question, in the specs above it lists the case width as 28mm - is that correct? Unless I have another 14K Keystone case of that vintage, mine is not that wide - only about 24mm, or does 28 include the crown?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tom, I see what you mean as I look at the photos above. Bummer, I thought maybe it was a one-off. Oh well, I guess I'll be on the lookout for a dial for my Custer. On the positive side, I wasn't that enamored with how it looks - it didn't clean up that well. One other question, in the specs above it lists the case width as 28mm - is that correct? Unless I have another 14K Keystone case of that vintage, mine is not that wide - only about 24mm, or does 28 include the crown?
I never include the crown. Maybe I made a mistake.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.