WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
5,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Circa 1959 but some later models were fitted with the Hamilton 505 electric movement.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Does it give any WR rating? I would imagine being a Sea-Lectric it would have been considered some kind of dive watch.

·
Banned
5,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Does it give any WR rating? I would imagine being a Sea-Lectric it would have been considered some kind of dive watch.
From Rene's The Watch of the Future:

"The first Sea-Lectric II had screw-off waterproof backs. .. . The improved B
design has a one-piece case that opens through the bezel." Rondeau, p. 156

·
Registered
507 Posts
Back in the day, watches were not rated for depth. They were simply advertised as "waterproof," a term which was later banned for watches and replaced by the more accurate "water-resistant". I seriously doubt many of the early 'waterproof' models would have stood up to swimming or even extended immersion. Even today the term 'water-resistant' is grossly misleading. If you Google the topic you'll find some very interesting comments, such as this one from Breitling's site:

=====================
Have you ever wondered what the water resistance rating on your Breitling watch means? What does 30m water resistance mean? Does it mean that you can put it under 30 meters of water without any worry of leakage? Not quite. The chart below explains what water resistance is in words we can all understand.

ATM Feet Metres Usage
1 33 10 Showerproof or splashproof. Protected against accidental exposure to water.
3 100 30 Will withstand splashes or brief emersion in water, but is not suitable for swimming.
5 165 50 Suitable for swimming.
10 330 100 Suitable for swimming and snorkeling.
15 500 150 Suitable for snorkeling.
30+ 660+ 300+ Suitable for skin diving.

=============

Here's another worthwhile article on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_6425

1 - 5 of 5 Posts