WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months back, I was visiting my Dad. I only get to see him two or three times a year so, when I'm there, he likes to pull out boxes of old stuff to go through; pictures, trinkets, etc.

During this last visit, he said "Hey, you're into watches", and handed me my Grandfather's old Fortis. I only have one other thing that belonged to my grandparents (they both passed away in '03), so I was happy to accept the watch when Dad offered it to me.

I was hoping someone here might be able to drop some knowledge on me and educate me about this piece:

It runs, but I have no doubt it needs a good servicing. The crystal is plastic, so I'm thinking of having that replaced with sapphire. It also has one of those metal-stretchy-bands (that I hate), so I'm thinking a nice black croc job with a deployment clasp.

As far back as I can remember, my Grandfather wore this watch, so I'm guessing it's, at the very latest, and early 70's piece, if not 60's.

Can anyone here shed some light?

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
It's probably an ETA inside. When you get the back off, snap a pick and we'll be able to identify it. You can have that crystal polished too. Much cheaper than having a custom sapphire crystal installed. Heirlooms rock! :thumbup1:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's probably an ETA inside. When you get the back off, snap a pick and we'll be able to identify it. You can have that crystal polished too. Much cheaper than having a custom sapphire crystal installed. Heirlooms rock! :thumbup1:
Thanks!

I've never taken the back off of a watch. I have no doubt I could get it off, my concern is with my ability to get it back on properly.

The watch is a bit smaller than I like. I'm not a small guy, and usually pass on anything under 40mm. But, this was Grandpa's, so I figure I'll clean it up, get it serviced, get it some new tires, and wear it on occasion.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Nice watch and as ulackfocus said "heirlooms rock".

The movement is either an ETA 2450,2451,2453 and will date from late 50's into mid 60's. If you ever get the case back off you can compare it to the one in this link to confirm bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: ETA 2451

Nothing wrong in wearing a smaller watch it is all part of the fun of vintage watches, so get the crystal polished up and wear it in good health :thumbup:

·
Super Moderator
15,643 Posts
... But, this was Grandpa's, so I figure I'll clean it up, get it serviced, get it some new tires, and wear it on occasion.
Sounds like a good plan to me! :thumbup1: I wouldn't worry about the case back. I'm pretty sure it simply screws off. Just take care and put it back on straight so you don't cross the threads.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Cool watch, and nice that it belonged to your grandfather :thumbup1:
I had a similar-looking Fortis Skylark a couple of years ago. It was a "monobloc" case: the movement came out the top after the crystal and crown were removed.

Yours probably looks like this though, screw-back:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts