WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Croton Aquamatic selfwinding AQE96607. It's in fair condition with the original leather band but it runs quite fast. I have removed the outer bezel but I don't know how to remove the stem so I can't get the works out to clean or whatever. Does anyone know how to remove the stem?

·
Super Moderator
15,636 Posts
Sure! Either a dimple over the stem gets depressed, or a screw gets backed-out by 1/2 revolution.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Vintage Croton watch

Sure! Either a dimple over the stem gets depressed, or a screw gets backed-out by 1/2 revolution.
This watch, probably from the 40's, does not have a simple back which covers the works. When the surrounding bezel is removed the works come out with the back which is like a cup and covers the sides so there the works is not visible. See photos.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
CIMG1173.jpg CIMG1172.jpg

·
Super Moderator
15,636 Posts
Sorry! From your post, it sounded to me like you had the movement exposed, and you were ready to get to work on it. You MUST get that back cover off and have the movement exposed so that you can get at the pieces holding the stem in place. There is a dimple directly over the far end of the stem. Depressing the dimple relieves pressure on a "U"-shaped piece holding the stem in place. These dimples are USUALLY found on quartz movements, but now that I can actually see the age of the watch (thank you!), I know that we have a mechanical movement. Mechanical stems are held in place by a ridiculously tiny screw, off to the side of the stem, somewhat close to the outer edge of the movement. DO NOT remove this screw....merely back it out 1/2 to 3/4 of one turn. All you're doing is alleviating the pressure the screw is exerting on the stem. And if you lose that screw, you're up You-know-which Creek without your proverbial paddle!!!

36fa34.jpg
36fa34.jpg

And if you're not sure how to get the case back off, seek professional help. (I mean for getting at the watchworks!)

Reactions: diver

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Look at the photo of me holding the watch. The back and surrounding sides are one piece like a cup or can. The stem comes out through the side of the "cup" so that it seems I have to get the stem out before the works can be lifted from the "cup". Unless this is a two piece stem where part of the stem will stay with the case. Even withthe stem pulled out I have not been able to get the works out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This looks like a good tip but I pulled hard on the crown, rotated it 1/4 turn, pulled again, etc without any results.
Do you have any other suggestions?
Tom

·
Super Moderator
5,857 Posts
It might be helpful to know what movement is in the watch (I'm assuming the AQE96607 is a model#). The only Croton Aquamatic I've seen from the 40's had an AS 1250 bumper automatic and that has a release screw similar to what CometHunter shows in his post. If you follow my link, you can see the release screw in Figure 4 just to the right of the stem.

·
Super Moderator
15,636 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The split stem was the clue. I tried a few times to pull the stem out thinking the two parts would separate without success.
This morning I remembered that the works does tilt out of the case slightly so I tilted it out as far as it would go and rotated the stem.
This got the split stem in alignment with the tilt of the works and the stem separated and the works come out.

To Comet Hunter, If I sent the watch out for repair I wouldn't learn anything. I have been taking things apart since a young boy and have learned a lot that has been very useful over the years.

Thanks everyone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts