WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
Here's a handy chart to help date your Bulova or Accutron watch:

date code seit 1949.JPG

From 1949 or so on, the date code is found on the back of the case. For instance, L5 means 1955. M7 equates to 1967. Before that, the symbol is found on the edge of the movement. Some of the symbols repeat themselves but you can tell what year it was made sometimes by the case material. The marking for 1930 & 1940 are the same, but in 1940 yellow gold would probably not have been used. Rose gold was the primary material because the metals used to make jewelry alloys were needed for the war effort. Copper was added giving gold the pink hue.

Hope this helps anyone who wanted to know what year your watch was manufactured. If you have any further questions, feel free to PM me and I'll try to answer them for you. Enjoy the forum!

·
Super Moderator
15,642 Posts
Accutron Spaceview Conversions

Although the full process of Spaceview authentication involves an examination of a number of key features, the majority of conversions can be easily identified by checking the case number. Accutron case numbers are located on the inside of the case back, either stamped in black ink or engraved directly into the metal. The table below lists all known Spaceview case numbers, as well as associated crystal and reflector part numbers when available. Take note that case numbers can be altered, and all 214 case backs are fully interchangeable.

The Accutron Revolution - Accuracy Through Electronics 1960-1977

Source: Decadecounter , com

Reactions: oliverb

·
Premium Member
5,486 Posts
This is a basic Tutorial showing electronic set-ups common to accutron 214's. This is more for identifying differences when viewing Spaceviews. Accutrons with dials won't show this so you really don't know what has been done to dialed watches.

*Top pic: The early 3 wire set-up as seen in many advertisements. Common set-up 1960-1962. I have seen this set-up on a 1963 (case date Stamp) Spaceview but the movement was still stamped M2. The Transistor at the bottom and the black shrink wrap is a great tell on age of movement. Commonly known as the (5) solder Point set-up.

*Middle Pic: Also a 3 wire set-up but the transistor has moved to the top. Commonly seen in 1963-1966ish 214's. I have seen both this 3 wire set-up and also the bottom pic two wire set-up on 1966 214's so its a tough call to say exactly when it switched over but 1966/1967 is very close.

* Bottom Pic: The newer (2) wire set-up for the 214's showing up in the later 60's. As you can see all three pics are different but when viewing Spaceviews, this will give you a good idea if the movement set-up matches the sellers (case-back) date. For instance if a seller had a Spaceview with the bottom (2) wire set-up and it was advertised as a 1963 Spaceview, the dated case back and movement set-up don't match and would be incorrect.

* These pics are very helpful in weeding out the very obvious mix & match Spaceviews sold around the internet.
232.jpg

3 Basic 214 Coil layouts.
*Note: These may not be in the case/year watch your looking at but what would have 'probably' come in a watch within a year or so of
production/case date. If a watch was repaired or the movement has been swapped out/or repaired, these movement dates won't help other then help identify what style/date movement coil assembly that is in the watch.

1. The early 3 wire Coil Assembly. Transistor at bottom. AKA The 5 point Solder layout. Movement dates(Roughly) (M0-M2)
3 wire mo m2.jpg

2. Also 3 wire Coil Assembly. Transistor at Top. Found in movements dated Roughly (M3-M6/M7)
3 wire m3 m6.jpg

3. 2 Wire Coil Assembly. Found in movements dated after Roughly (M6/M7)
2 wire m6+.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,486 Posts
I have seen more then one person ask how to read the Accutron Doctors "Pulsation" watch dial. I found this instruction pic from a past posting, courtesy of accutronredux. The pic in this instruction illustration appears to be a 218 Pulsation 'Date"dial (diagonal arrow 10 & 4 oclock). The 214 Dial is set up slightly different but the instruction still apply.

~214 Pulsation Dial~
oft503.jpg

~218 Pulsation Date Dial~

s-l300.jpg
*** It has come to light that this dial layout has also been found in the 214 models also, obliviously without the date window.

jpg005.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,486 Posts
214 Caliber Movement designations.

* These numbers are stamped on the movement when viewed with the caseback off.

Accutron 214: Standard 214 with no hacking facility
Accutron 214H: Standard 214 with hacking spring (part #194)
Accutron 214HN: GMT 214 with hacking spring (part #194). This calibre was used in the Astronauts

According to Pieter Doenson’s book, from 1968 onwards, the 214 (Swiss) caliber numbering system becomes as shown below.

Accutron 2140 = 214
Accutron 2141 = 214H
Accutron 2142 = 214HN

I did find this example (below) that is another one of the many anomalies found throughout the accutron community.

This is a 1969 (M9) movement but still has the 214H stamping and not the 2141 stamping that is called out on movements from 1968(according the the above reference).
33.jpg

And yes, Swiss movements did use the 2141 designation(1970) example:
444.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,486 Posts
Case parts Book & Caseback Removal Tool Info

2a.jpg

Great Book for Case parts info (Crystal,Crown,Gasket etc). Copyright (1974). They can be found on Ebay and Amazon.

1a.jpg

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Accutron Instrument Timers and Clock reference. The source document, "Accutron: A Chronometric Micro-Powerplant" was posted by decadecounter.. It's an excellent read, but I find my self pulling up the final page with the timers whenever one comes up on ebay. Here is the quick reference:

accutron-instrument-timer-reference.jpg

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
The TE14 Calendar Clock, is that a 214 with day date? :huh: Or maybe a 218? I think I see now... looks like the TE13 has a day hand maybe? But I still don't see the indicators on the TE14, also what are the other wheels and parts involved? Where would you find part numbers for these bits?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Wow ok, that is really interesting. That pillar plate looks similar to the training movement plates in its thickness. I'm amazed the index mechanism is strong enough to run those extra complications. Unique castings, truly a completely unique 214! Thanks for posting.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts