WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a vintage Alpha for sale in the sales forum. Does anyone know anything about this? Is Alpha an old swiss brand? I have googled a fair amount today, but could find nothing about the brand history short of the Alpha 1993 Chinese watch that we all know of. I did find this picture on a vintage sale site, but note it says "swiss" at the 6 o'clock. The one on the sales forum does not bear that indicator.

Also, in the picture above, the case and pushers look almost new compared to the dial and crystal. Anyone know what's going on here?

·
Banned
5,433 Posts
It's not uncommon for the names and logos of long defunct brands to be bought and then used on whatever the buyer chooses, (usually inexpensive asian built watches)
This is evident by the many Gruens and Elgins being sold at BJ's wholesale for 39.95.
Waltham also suffered the same fate and has been sold (the name) many times since the "real" Waltham watch Co.s demise.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I researched this brand extensively the other day and came up with the same information you did.

This is a company that was allegedly formed in 1993 and contains Chinese movements and can be readily had for a less than a hundred bucks, not that there's anything wrong with that.

That watch does look old, but if there was an old Alpha watch company that had any merit, there should be something about it somewhere on the internet. I mean other than this one watch.

Maybe it's a 1993 Alpha.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Grady, thats what I was getting at. I could find absolutely nothing about an older Alpha brand other than the current incarnation. The picture above, and the one on the sales forum seem to be the only two in existence.

·
Banned
5,433 Posts
The Swiss Alpha shown here is probably a 40's vintage based on the "telephone timing" indications on the minutes subdial commonly found on chronographs of that era.
(the long hash marks indicating 3-6 and 9 minutes which repesent the length of time-every 3 minutes- that your nickel was good for on a pay phone)

I have no doubt that,at one time Alpha was a "real" swiss brand whose name was pulled from obscurity in 1993 to be used again.

·
Banned
2,874 Posts
Alpha 1993 IS a Chinese brand (well, Hong Kong). I know because I own one and when you order from the Alpha Web site, that's where the product ships from. I'm suspicious about that watch being "vintage." The case looks in amazingly good shape, if it truly is vintage. My guess is its from the Alpha that were talking about. Just my two cents.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
(the long hash marks indicating 3-6 and 9 minutes which repesent the length of time-every 3 minutes- that your nickel was good for on a pay phone)
That was a very astute observation.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Did anyone find this one.

It's dated from the 40s, just as foghorn suggested.

I don't want to violate the T&C, but it still doesn't seem right to post this without a citation.

Features:
Rare All Original Alpha Square Moonphase Dress
Watch with Original Finish Dial, and Swiss Made
Movement. Signed Alpha on the Dial, Case and
Movement.

Case:
Chrome Plated Case with Solid Stainless Steel
Back Signed on the Inside Alpha Watch Co,
Swiss. Numbered with Case Reference Number
4415. Vintage Moonphase Watches are Very
Rare to Find in Square Cases.

Dial:
Aged Original Silver Dial with Gold Numbers and
Matching Gold Hands. Day and Month Apertures
at Center. Moonphase Aperture Below. Dial
Signed Alpha and Swiss Made Below the 6.

Movement:
High Grade Valjoux Caliber 89, Seventeen Jewel
Manual Wind Movement. Signed with the Alpha
Swiss House Code XYH. Recently Cleaned by
farfo Vintage Watch Repair Service
and in Excellent Running Condition.

Watch Band:
Comes Fitted with Your Choice of Leather Strap
or See Our Selection and Upgrade to Genuine
Lizard, Shark or Crocodile.

Dimensions:
27mm Sq8are Excluding Crown x 38.mm Top to
Bottom. 18mm Lug Spacing.

Condition:
Very Good Condition. Comes with a 90 Day
Mechanical Warranty. Extended One Year
Warranty Available for $249.

Price: $1399
Alpha Valjoux 89

·
Banned
2,275 Posts
I've done some research anout another long time gone Swiss brand, some months ago... And have seen the old Swiss Alpha brand pop up here and there... So they existed. Just don't seem to find those web-pages back...:confused1:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts