WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Review: Victorinox Swiss Army AirBoss Mach 6

I received this watch as an unexpected early Christmas gift, along with the admonition: “I don’t know if this is a brand that even interests you, and I don’t know if you’ll like the color, and you can always return it and get something you really want instead.” Truth is, I know relatively little about Victorinox as a brand, and, left to my own devices, I probably wouldn’t have been shopping around for a watch with a red dial. All that being said, this watch has been a very pleasant surprise, and I’ll definitely be hanging on to it! Since there doesn’t seem to be a lot of information out there concerning this model, I thought I’d share some observations here.

The Victorinox AirBoss Mach 6 is an auto/chrono that features a Valjoux 7753 movement. Out of the box, it has been running at around +1 sec./day, which I find to be pretty amazing. The dial on this particular model is a rich shade of burgundy – the color we’ve become accustomed to on the cases of Victorinox Swiss Army knives over the years. The flash photos tend to make the dial seem a bit more red than it actually appears, but this daylight shot captures the color nicely:

The width of the case is 45mm (not including crown), but I wouldn’t have guessed this from having it on my wrist. The watch seems to actually wear a bit smaller – most likely due to the fact that the bezel shrinks the dial a bit from a visual perspective.

Aesthetically, I really love the way that the color of the dial is complemented by the three black sub-dials and surrounding black bezel. The arabic numerals are slightly raised, and the inner scale allows the chronograph to be read at intervals of ¼ second. The push buttons on the chronograph have a nice feel and work smoothly.

The AirBoss Mach 6 features a sapphire crystal, and a mineral crystal display caseback.

The stainless steel case has a substantial feel and has a very attractive brushed finish.

Another really nice feature of this watch is the strap itself – black nubuck leather, with a vintage stitching treatment done in a subtle gray. The strap, which includes a butterfly deployment clasp, is sturdy, but has a beautiful sueded feel. It is incredibly comfortable on the wrist. One potential drawback is that the AirBoss Mach 6 is 23 mm at the lugs, making it a bit more of a challenge to find alternative or replacement straps.

The AirBoss Mach 6 has a pull-out crown and is water resistant to 100M. The lume on the hands and numerals does a very respectable job – the first night that I had the watch, it had not been exposed to daylight, yet I had no problem reading the time at 5:00 a.m. when my German Shepherd started barking…:biggrin:

The current MSRP for the AirBoss Mach 6 is $1995 – but they can be had for significantly less, even from authorized dealers. My own take is that the AirBoss Mach 6 makes for a great mechanical sport watch, at a very reasonable price. It certainly gets high marks in the “bang for the buck” department. And, for those who may not favor the red dial – the AirBoss Mach 6 is also available with either a black or blue dial, as well. The blue dial, in particular, is very striking – and tempting…:wink:

·
Banned
1,216 Posts
Congrats on a truly beautiful watch! Victorinox is a GREAT, solid, well made watch and they hold they're value for a while. Wear in good health man!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Yup, that's a nice addition. I like the burgundy a lot. Congrats!

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
Looks great! It is nice to have watches with different coloured dials etc, and I'm sure that your new watch will get some good wrist time.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, guys.

Like I said, this is a watch that would never have been on my radar screen had I not received it as a gift. Gotta say, though, I really am loving it -- and it continues to run at +1 sec./day, making it the most accurate automatic watch that I own. :thumbup1:

·
Registered
27 Posts
One of my favorite brands. Great BANG for your BUCK! My Victorinox diver 500 Mech, which has an eta 2992, is also +1 per day and my most accurate mechanical watch.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
The watch looks great, and the BRAND may be good bang for the buck, but this watch at $2000 is swimming in pretty deep water - there's a lot of choice in that price range or cheaper.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Like I was sayin': "The current MSRP for the AirBoss Mach 6 is $1995 – but they can be had for significantly less, even from authorized dealers." :wink:

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thought I'd update this thread with some photos of a new arrival -- the blue dial version of the AirBoss Mach 6. I couldn't resist! :001_smile: I really do love the AirBoss Mach 6 for all kinds of reasons, and have enjoyed wearing the burgundy dial version for the last month. My burgundy AirBoss continues to run at around +1 sec./day, and the new blue AirBoss is running at +3 sec./day. Pretty impressive performance from this ETA 7753!

The strap on the new watch is different -- a very nicely textured black leather, as opposed to the nubuck leather on the burgundy version. The dial itself is just beautiful -- a subtle midnight blue that is really very striking. It's hard to capture this quality in photos, but here goes...:wink:

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
I'm loving the blue dial more than the red one! That's almost a "Duke" Blue too :tongue_smilie:

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
As a fellow AirBoss 6 owner I can testify to its accuracy, it is by far the most accurate automatic watch I have ever owned. I'm I right in thinking it uses a Swiss movement since its got the Swiss sign on it?

·
Super Moderator
15,641 Posts
I'm surprised your watch repair guy has never shown the movement to you.

Am I right in thinking it uses a Swiss movement since its got the Swiss sign on it?
In the instance of Victorinox watches, yes, you're right. The Mach 6 is powered by the ETA/Valjoux movement.

·
Registered
28 Posts
ETA Valjoux 7753

I'm I right in thinking it uses a Swiss movement since its got the Swiss sign on it?
How :blush:... 15s with Google/Victorinox Website will get you the correct answer...

EDIT: To answer your actual question, that "Swiss sign" on the movement's rotor is the Victorinox logo and does not represent the movement or guarantee that said movement is from a Swiss Manufacture... (so now it's my turn to be :blush:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts