WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope I’m in the right place with this post. I wandered into the Victorinox Swiss Army store in the Westchester mall, White Plains, NY. Nice store, but the wall with all their watches displayed was particularly very cool. Also in this upscale mall are Omega and Tourneau. These two stores I always go in and browse the show cases. Back at Victorinox my eye caught the Men's 241356 Dive Master 500 Automatic. I tried not to bat an eye when he told me it listed for $1,295.00. I did some research and actually found it at Amazon for $753.00. I can’t help wondering why someone would go into Swiss Army and pay another $542 bucks. Just wondering about that and if anyone has one and did a review?

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
Well one thing from Amazon is they're gray market, meaning you will not have a factory warranty. So if anything happens to it Victorinox will not service it for you in warranty, only out of warranty with charges. Any warranty repair will be between you & the seller. As such they sell them less than what the manufactures allow actual authorized dealers to sell them for. Do a search on "gray market" on the forum & you'll find a lot of detail on the difference in gray market & AD purchases, but the warranty is the largest difference. Is the price difference worth it? That's a decision each person has to make for themselves, but don't forget you can sometimes get a discount from the AD, so that $500 difference may not be that much if you negotiated with the AD. You'll still pay more than you would at a gray marketer, but maybe the difference will be less.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I hope I’m in the right place with this post. I wandered into the Victorinox Swiss Army store in the Westchester mall, White Plains, NY. Nice store, but the wall with all their watches displayed was particularly very cool. Also in this upscale mall are Omega and Tourneau. These two stores I always go in and browse the show cases. Back at Victorinox my eye caught the Men's 241356 Dive Master 500 Automatic. I tried not to bat an eye when he told me it listed for $1,295.00. I did some research and actually found it at Amazon for $753.00. I can’t help wondering why someone would go into Swiss Army and pay another $542 bucks. Just wondering about that and if anyone has one and did a review?
As Scott points out, there are ADs out there that can offer some pretty nice discounts. Their prices may not reach the level of gray market, but the extra $$$ are well worth it in terms of having an authorized warranty. I recently posted my own newly-arrived Dive Master 500, which I bought from an AD at a significant discount. I am loving my Dive Master 500 -- I think that the VSA mechanicals are some darn nice watches, and offer huge bang for the buck.

Cheers,
Jazz

1 - 3 of 3 Posts