WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Already posted this in the General forum.

I really like the looks of this watch. The dial is all business, and the current time is what it is all about.

The dial has an etched pattern where the raised Arabic numerals are placed, and inside that, the hunter green face is treated to a sunray finish. I especially am fond of the treatment of the second hands at the 6 o'clock position, which is highlighted by an encompassing raised metal circle, and thick ring of off white paint.

The case and bezel are brushed, except for a polished 2mm ring.

The caseback is all exhibition and it is almost as beautiful as looking at the dial. Even though the movement isn't finished, its mechanics seem like a work of art to me.

The watch itself is 44mm, with a sapphire crystal treated with anti-reflective film. The movement is an ETA Unitas 6498.1, with 17 jewels and it runs at 18,000 VPH.

Finally, the hands, numerals, and hour markers are treated with copious amounts of lume. Picked it at 6am this morning and it was still bright.

·
Premium Member
6,203 Posts
Sorry about the delay. I'm afraid to overwind it, so at most I give it 12 winds. So far about 40 hours.
That's excellent. It brings me to another thing I've always wondered but never bothered to research - as a general rule, do you get more life out of a full wind of a manual or an automatic? I know there is a large variation in the power reserve of different auto movements, but what about the manual winds?

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's is an interesting question. Some of my autos seem to run down after 24 hours, even if they have been on the winder for days. On the other hand, a cheap little Seiko 5 I bought for work, that can only be wound via movement, seems to run almost 40 hours or more on a regular basis. This Victorinox, seems to consistently run for 40 hours between winding, and it is rated for 46 (but like I said, I try not to overwind it). Being my only manual watch, I'd say it definitely outshines several autos I have and is rather consistent.

Of my autos, those with a power reserve dial seem to be true to their stated run time (Orient and Deep Blue). My Accutron Gemini, and Victorinox Ambassador, and Frederique Constant seem to run short of their stated reserves (38-40 hours). The only other auto I have that always seems to be running when I pick it up a day or two later is an Oris Big Crown.

I guess a lot depends on the watch winder, your arm movement that day, how much you actually need to wind it to reach a full power reserve and so on.

I wonder if movement makers, like car makers, sometimes exaggerate their MPG, or in this case, run times?

That's excellent. It brings me to another thing I've always wondered but never bothered to research - as a general rule, do you get more life out of a full wind of a manual or an automatic? I know there is a large variation in the power reserve of different auto movements, but what about the manual winds?

·
Premium Member
6,203 Posts
Good answer - thanks. I'd be interested if other members have any comments about the longevity of their movements - specifically if they meet (or exceed) the manufacturer's specs for power reserve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.