WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks! New to watch talk. From an early age I've been enamored with watches and clocks. In general I collect Swiss automatics and Art Deco Bulovas. Recently I acquired a mint condition Hamilton Ventura on eBay for an incredibly reasonable price. Very stylish watch even if it's not what I usually go for. And at this price point, I have no problems wearing it in my day today rotation. There are so many of these out there that they will never appreciate, so a little daily wear-and-tear doesn't bother me a bit. I have the basic black and chrome analog dial with the black leather strap. What I would like to know is why newer ones say "Swiss Made" at the 6 o'clock position and many used ones do not. I would also like to know when Swatch Group began producing the Ventura with the SM designation. I've had fun researching the watch, and based on what I've seen on this forum, I'm sure most people could answer this. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,682 Posts
There are a couple of others here more knowledgeable about Hamilton and their 'Ventura' than I am but i do know that Hamilton produced the Ventura from their Lancaster, PA factory from 1957 to about 1965 before it disappeared from the marketplace. I believe it was the first electric watch if I'm not mistaken. Hamilton Watch Co moved production of all of their watches to Switzerland around 1970 and was eventually sold to Société Suisse pour l'Industrie Horlogère in 1972 and that company then became part of the Swatch Group in 1983. Hamilton (Swatch) then re-introduced the modern Ventura in 1988 which likely accounts for the "Swiss Made" at the bottom of the dial.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts