Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I recently purchased a Vacheron in excellentcondition for very little money.

My question is how can I tell the differenc between a reak one and a replica?

Please see the attached photos. The quality seem to me to be perfect, but at garage sale prices, I am sceptical.

What do you think?

Thank you and Regards, Gkenny.

http://i45.tinypic.com/copjb.jpg

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Banned
28,345 Posts

You'd wear that thing? I don't think you get it. I'm going to put you on my ignore list so I don't answer any questions for you anymore. Fakes suck dude, and so does anyone who would knowingly wear one.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
You'd wear that thing? I don't think you get it. I'm going to put you on my ignore list so I don't answer any questions for you anymore. Fakes suck dude, and so does anyone who would knowingly wear one.
While I happen to agree with you, I must say drawing such a hard line puts you on an awful slippery slope regarding the line between fake, homage, and original.

If this watch didn't have the logos on it, everyone would be saying its a great value for an homage to a fine watch, since it DOES have the logos, it invites ire like posted above? Punishment does not seem to fit the crime here.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I am sorry that you apparently took my question the wrong way. I certainly do not support fake watches any more than you do, I simply do not have the expertise that you have and I asked a perfectly honest question about the authenticity of my watch based on my lack of knowledge and my skepticisim of a cheap garage sale purchase.

Again, I am sorry you took the wrong meaning, Regards, Gkenny.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I just thought I'd stick my nose where it doesn't belong and give you an idea about what to do with that thing. Before I joined this forum and learned about fakes I bought a good fake of a Mont Blanc.
When I learned what it was, I took it to the range for a shock proof test and found that it would not withstand the impact of a .22 bullet. That experience was worth what I paid for it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just thought I'd stick my nose where it doesn't belong and give you an idea about what to do with that thing. Before I joined this forum and learned about fakes I bought a good fake of a Mont Blanc.
When I learned what it was, I took it to the range for a shock proof test and found that it would not withstand the impact of a .22 bullet. That experience was worth what I paid for it.[/QUOTE

Thank you Skypilot, I appreciate your comments. Now that I know what I have, I might be planning a trip to the range myself!

Regards, Gkenny.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
While I happen to agree with you, I must say drawing such a hard line puts you on an awful slippery slope regarding the line between fake, homage, and original.

If this watch didn't have the logos on it, everyone would be saying its a great value for an homage to a fine watch, since it DOES have the logos, it invites ire like posted above? Punishment does not seem to fit the crime here.
Thank you ~tc~, I really appreciate your understanding. I meant no harm.

Sometimes it is easy to forget that we all love watches and fakes are truly an abomination to all of us. I will be much smarter in the furure, although I did not deserve the unkind comments made by some. These type of comments do no one any good.

·
Registered
520 Posts
To look at an upside to this, at least the offending watch was purchased (used) by someone who cared enough to ask! This way, at least one less fake will be worn in public, and eliminating even one is well worth the garage sale price.
I hope you enjoy busting it up! :thumbup1:

·
Registered
520 Posts

Whether or not it has a brand on it is EVERYTHING. Without a false brand, there is nothing wrong with any "homage" watch, after all there are only so many aesthetically pleasing ways one can shape or style a watch, so some degree of similarity is inevitable. But branding is (supposed to be) what tells the world who made a particular piece, if folks are to have any respect for a watch, they MUST respect & trust who made it. Any company that can make "good fakes" could make as good of originals... they chose not to. THAT is what gets my blood boiling!

·
Registered
3,233 Posts

:001_rolleyes::001_rolleyes:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
To look at an upside to this, at least the offending watch was purchased (used) by someone who cared enough to ask! This way, at least one less fake will be worn in public, and eliminating even one is well worth the garage sale price.
I hope you enjoy busting it up! :thumbup1:
Thank you Clifford, that is a very mature position and I fully agree with it.

The watch will be destroyed along with the band which is also marked the same as the watch with the Vacheron Constantin name, Maltese logo and also a person's name? Cuir Veritabba.

Thanks again Clifford and Regards, Gkenny.

·
Registered
771 Posts
before pulling out your pistol you might want to have someone eyeball the watch or at the very least send it to v.c. to let them know what is out there. although the consensus is this watch is a fake how would you feel if the watch was indeed real and it now has a bullet lodged in the case?

·
Super Moderator
15,640 Posts
gkenny,

while I understand WHY ulack made that outburst (perhaps a tad too strong) it was not your original question that offended him...it was post #3, your second. He mistakenly thought you were going to go ahead and wear it anyway. Go back and re-read #3 and I think you'll see what I mean. I realize that was not your actual plan.
Please understand it is the official policy of WTF that fakes are bad and illegal to both make and own. And all of our members (hopefully) reflect that feeling. Some just do it more vociferously than others.

I get where you're coming from. To be honest I was like that myself long ago with a Swanson 3-dial calendar watch that had been turned into a Rolex Daytona. I didn't shoot mine- I eventually took a black paint pen and covered over the crown logo and all the lettering. It is now a generic beater calendar watch I use for puttering around outdoors.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
before pulling out your pistol you might want to have someone eyeball the watch or at the very least send it to v.c. to let them know what is out there. although the consensus is this watch is a fake how would you feel if the watch was indeed real and it now has a bullet lodged in the case?
Thank you Pratt, I agree with you, it would have been good to know if it is real BEFORE destroying it, that was the original purpose of my question last week. I am NOT a watch expert or dealer, I just love and collect watches. No one here even tried to help me with even their opinion.

As I stated in my first post, I purchased this watch and some others at a garage sale, NOT at a prestigious jewelry store. Since I am not an expert in any sense of the word, I thought that these may be real, that is why I came here.

I now better understand all the animosity I received, and I mostly agree that we should feel some offence at such replicas because it undermines our real interest in a beautiful piece of art that just happens to also tell time, however, some of the animosity was WAY over the top!

Thank you again Pratt, you have at least tried to help me with a distinct path of action which I will follow.

Warm Regards, Gkenny.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
gkenny,

while I understand WHY ulack made that outburst (perhaps a tad too strong) it was not your original question that offended him...it was post #3, your second. He mistakenly thought you were going to go ahead and wear it anyway. Go back and re-read #3 and I think you'll see what I mean. I realize that was not your actual plan.
Please understand it is the official policy of WTF that fakes are bad and illegal to both make and own. And all of our members (hopefully) reflect that feeling. Some just do it more vociferously than others.

I get where you're coming from. To be honest I was like that myself long ago with a Swanson 3-dial calendar watch that had been turned into a Rolex Daytona. I didn't shoot mine- I eventually took a black paint pen and covered over the crown logo and all the lettering. It is now a generic beater calendar watch I use for puttering around outdoors.

Thank you CometHunter, I appreciate your comments.

I posted here in a very innocent manner, perhaps also a with a little naivete. I probably should have known better, but I am not an expert or dealer, and I have never even seen a watch like this before, so I REALLY beleived that the watch could have been real. I am still not sure, no one has looked at my photos and given their opinion.

I know this, if it is NOT authentic, I agree with this forum and also want nothing to do with it and will either destroy it or take your advice and send it to Vacheron. I would love to know for sure, but I guess that will be impossible here.

Thanks again for understanding and offering me your sound, mature advice. Regards, Gkenny.

·
Premium Member
3,661 Posts
Guys, that watch is not a Vacheron, the movement does not have the finish of a vc and the hallmark on the rotor is wrong, Look at the work on my movement and compare the two. with that said rather then beat this horse anymore, I am going to lock this thread.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.