WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dear all,

Hello,,, i've recently become interested in horology as I love all things of exceptional quality. I have about GPB$5000 (USD10,000) to spend on a watch to kick-off what i hope to be a life-long time hobby and i need some advice. sorry for the mistake in the title again my budget is about USD10k...

I'm 19 and reasonably tall and lean so a HUGE chunky watch probably wont suit. Also as nice as they are professional styled classic watches like patek phillip and such just aren't my style as i'm more into outdoor stuff, motorsports, yachting and i need something a bit cool with a bit of bling factor but nothing over the top. I want a watch i can dress up with a nice shirt or casual with shorts and I want to be able to wear it a lot and give it a adventurous life and go swimming or whatever (even tho of course i'd normally take it off i don't want to have to worry abt it or my watch to slow me down). It has to last a long time so i can pass it on or whatever.

Rolex's are nice and sure a quality watch but I wanted something a little different to the mainstream so Omega and TAG aren't up there for me either.

So far my favorite is the Breitling Montbrillant mid-size case which is abt 38mm (i think) the full size is just a tad too big for me. my problem is i have two options so far and can't decide-

1) Breitling Montbrillant mid-size case with 18k rose gold casing, black dial and brown leather strap... This watch looks pure class and pretty badass but I'm guessing leather isn't great for everyday use and i'm sure it doesn't like the ocean much. But thennnnn if i can get some $$$ together in the future i can buy the full gold bracelet then i'll have some serious bling for tough times and the leather strap for evenings and such. but that would be some time away...

the other options so far is

2) Breitling Montbrillant mid-size case with steel casing, black dial- steel bracelet plus the brown leather strap so i have an evening watch and a tough day watch from the get go... Although I prefer the gold case this would give me 2 watches right away and the steel bracelet would be my normal everyday with the leather going on every now and then...

I also like some of the Panari's but again my only thinking was I'd also like a hard metal bracelet for hard daily use and i haven't seen any on the Panerai's i like as shown below. Can i get a Panerai similar to the model shown below with-in my budget?

Also if anyone has the USA prices of the watches of quoted so far as I'm living in Asia so it would be nice to compare actual price from your experience.

Let me know your thoughts and now you know a bit of my current likes is there any other brands and models you think I should look out for? I would like a smaller lesser known brand if it's high quality and will be a good strong watch (not so into the jewelry watches) so I'm open to idea's to add to my current list. Are there any pro's and cons you can talk me around? I really like the prestige of Harry Winston but I'm guessing they'd be well out of my budget? Are Winston's good watches in terms of the movement or are they just pure jewelry watches?

Sorry for the long post,, have a nice day and speak with you soon,,,

Cheers :)

hmmmmm sorry tried to upload pics but didn't seem to work please see similar watch links below if it's allowed?

(montbrillant gold below)
http://www.europastar.com/europastar/photos/03_2005/breitling205.jpg

(montbrillant steel below + I'd get leather strap also)
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41IaDVrLsBL._AA280_.jpg

(panerai below)
http://www.pensinasia.com/luminor44b.jpg

Thanks a lot for the help again

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Go for the Number 2 look. Brietling is a great watch..

Don't go mid-size...you may regret it in the long run...

You say you want one for outdoors and activity, yet you don't want a Rolex because you want "different from the mainstream". There is a reason you find Rolex associated with yachting, swimmming, diving and motorsport.. They're rugged, dependable, and last a lifetime..

My tip....add a couple of thou and get a bi-metal Daytona..

:cool1:

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
You guys are all joking right? TEN THOUSAND dollars on a first watch at age nineteen?
Its not usual in my experience, but it happens and he asked the question.

Harry Winston is brand, not really a proper watch manufacturer. $10K USD is a strong price point. You can buy just about anything that you want in the "consumer" space. My advise to you is not to let the money dictate your purchase. Is there some reason you want to spend it all in one go of it? A couple watches is more interesting in my mind and allows you to experience more things.

I'm a Rolex guy. I'm sure that brand has saturated Asia in advertising, but the watches are great and if you change your mind (as you might at 19 years old) you'll be able to sell and get most of your money back. The GMT-II ceramic and the Submariner are always coveted. In addition to the brands listed by othere, you should also look into Grand Seiko, Glashutte Original, and Jaeger Le Coulter. There are so many out there. I remember how much my tastes changed when I was your age, so if you're set on a 10K USD watch, try and get a conservative styled and well known brand. Try NOT to get a limited edition as they cost more for a number and try to avoid the novelty watches that are "race inspired" or whatnot.

Best Wishes and Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
16,752 Posts
You guys are all joking right? TEN THOUSAND dollars on a first watch at age nineteen?
Not necessarily unusual.
My 17th birthday gift was a new XKE ($6600 in an era of 35-cent a gallon gas) and the next year I got a 20-foot boat.
So it's all relative.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Not necessarily unusual.
My 17th birthday gift was a new XKE ($6600 in an era of 35-cent a gallon gas) and the next year I got a 20-foot boat.
So it's all relative.
I'm so happy for you, Boscoe!:biggrin:
I guess I need to re-evaluate my thinking when it comes to young boys and extravagant wealth!

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
My advice is to keep the money in the bank and continue to research the subject until you can make a well-informed choice pretty much on your own.

I'm not saying that asking for advice is wrong, but by doing so, you really are asking people to look at the world through your eyes, which, of course, they cannot do.

If you spend just six months doing internet searches, participating in forums like this and visiting retail dealers, you will have learned a lot, had a lot of fun, and will know exactly which watch floats your boat or even, which 10 or 100 watches float your boat.

The watch world is infinitely more complex than you can even imagine, I'm thinking, and an investment of your own time and effort is bound to yield much more gratifying results when you finally decide to lay down your cash.

·
Banned
4,528 Posts
Hi There:

How did you discover mechanical watches? They are great, miniature engineering marvels on our wrists.

There is a lot to be determined...sports watch, dress watch, a little of both, diver, etc.

One company to look at is Ulysse Nardin. You will find a lot of watches in their line from 4-6k that will amaze you. Their bracelets are spectacular.

If you like the Panerai's, also consider Anonimo. I saved for my PAM and ultimately, the Anonimo is what did it for me.

10k is a nice budget to have on a watch. I am not a fan of gold and therefore most of my watches are stainless which also benefits me dollars wise.

another great watch in your budget is a Glashutte Perpetual Calendar in stainless. This type of watch will know how many days are in each month, and make the adjustments themselves, even leap years, and mechanically. It features one of the most spectacular in house movements you can buy, the Glashutte Caliber 100 with double swan neck regulator.

I am looking at a Ulysse Nardin Annual Calendar Chronograph right now...makes adjustments for every month but February, has a chronograph...list is about 7500.

Keep us posted on what you decide. You may even fall in love with a less expensive watch, find two that you love, etc.

Last year I closed a major deal and wanted to reward myself as I had not bought a watch in quite some time. I added an Anonimo Chronoscopio, Ball Moonphase, and Ball NightTrain, as well as a Citizen Eco Perpetual for traveling. 5k for the whole lot of them and they are all keepers. I went to blow it all on the new Pam with in house movement and I liked the Anonimo more, and slowly added a few pieces throughout the year. Right now I am looking for a collection defining piece, hopefully the UN Annual Calendar, and then I will kick back and enjoy reading all of the wonderful posts here.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I'd like to loudly echo what Grady said, and add that if you're looking at a "life-long hobby", no matter what you get you'll want another one before too long! So maybe buy one that costs half that, then a few months later, get a different one with the other half! Of course, you run the risk of being only half as happy each time you wear one or the other, so judge for yourself. Many (if no most) of us here will attest to always keeping our eyes open, looking at what's next. And it's not greedy, or unsatisfiable, it's just the nature of the hobby. But decide for yourself and please post up what you get! Good luck!

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
$10,000 USD is gonna get you a lot of watch. If I had that kind of cash to spend on a watch, I'd buy one for $5,000-$6,000 and invest or bank the rest. Perhaps $10K isn't much to you, and if not, go for it! :thumbup:
I'd look at GO, a Rolex Daytona, GP, JLC, Blancpain, UN. But for half that amount, you can get a fantastic, lifetime timepiece. Have fun....if I had your money, I'd burn mine.:lol:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Breitling Navitimer, that is the only watch you will need.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Hey thank-you everyone very much for your advice and thoughts.

Boscoe- wow the Blancpain 50 fathoms is a very interesting watch and very different with obviously a proud history so I really like this very much. However for my first watch I want to break in a virgin so I want to go with NEW not pre-owned one initially. (plus i have to as i'm getting my first watch through a contra deal not by paying cash directly). So i think the 50 may be a bit out of my budget range if new? (but man, watch noted it's freakin sweet)...

LarryD- strong point regarding Rolex obviously a very good watch option as a first watch that I can use everyday and always a classic so I will look more into them. As for your note not to get a midsize- well i'd rather go full but i'm abt 180cm tall and abt 68kgs so i'm quite lean and tall and I don't want to look like Snoop dog with an watch waaay to big for my wrist.. Maybe i'll try some one tho and see how it feels but from what I've seen full size breitling's are too big for me which limits my choices quite a lot...

Banned- I'm not joking i'm good with money and save a lot by not buying crap in between but thanks for your concern :D

Bull&vodka- not into ur drink much but thanks for your thoughts haha.. As for your comments regarding Rolex in Asia your right it's EVERYWHERE, no offense to anyone but it seems over here that EVERY Asian businessman has one and know little or nothing about watches (which is not a bad thing at all as anyone can enjoy whatever they want and don't need to be a die-hard fan). but for my own mind i was thinking of something a little different, but then again you can never go wrong with a Rolex and i like the sub, GMT and Daytona. The Glashutte Original is also amazing so i'm going to look more into that. I'm sure the Grand Seiko is a great watch but i'm not having 10k go on my first watch for it to be a Seiko even if that's pure arrogance on my half. For me i guess it's like buying a VW phaeton W10 which is just as great of a car but u could've got an Audi A8 for the same price... and as silly as it sounds i kinda want the whole 10k to go towards the one watch (not spread out over 2+) as I for now I mostly live out of a suitcase and don't want to carry much, so I want the best possible watch I can have on my arm, not a few to choose from for different occasions so much. Although i was thinking of a cheaper steel swiss army watch for rough use if i went with something like the gold breitling.

Grady- thanks also for your point as it's very valid, don't worry i don't let anyone steer me into any decision I just wanted to learn some more options and see other peoples perspectives as this can also help me make my own mind. thanks again though...

Scott- looking into the Panerai's and Anonimo's so i'll do some more ground work there. Ulysse Nardin isn't really for me just yet though thanks.

Thanks also freedive thanks for your comments and yea haha i want just the one main watch for now (as mentioned maybe something cheaper like a swissA for rough abusive use)

Thanks to anyone else i've miss and sorry to reply one by one haha next time i'll prob just write general thoughts as i don't want to waste too much of ur time haha,,,,

------------
hmmm well okay as it stands-

I'm still really into the 18k gold Breit MontB w/ leather strap still as I like the idea of one day getting the gold strap when i can afford it.. Any idea's of the cost of this in the USA so i can compare? I also just love the look of the Breits even tho having a smaller more specialized brand would be cool for a first watch such as Blancpain or Glashutte, but again would it fit my wrist and is it in my budget (new)...

the steel Breit is the safe choice and can't go wrong but there are a fair few of them out there which is why i'm more inclined to the gold even tho it cost abt double...

I really liked the Blancpain and Glashutte so let me look more into them and get back to you and I think I will seriously look in more detail at the Daytona, Sub and GMT as again a very nice first watch that WILL last a lifetime and take a beating along the way...

Thanks to everyone for their input feel free to add more idea's and info and such and sorry for the long post haha,,, thanks again! :thumbup1:

·
Banned
4,528 Posts
Glashutte Perptual Calendar In Stainless Can be found new for around 10k in stainless.

Photo from Lussori...

photo from Armstrong Rockwell...couldn't find an s/s photo of the back...

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
Hey schitarella,

The Glashutte is a very nice looking watch. Never seen that before - looks good.

Rolex would be a good choice quality & resale wise. But sounds like you don't want to be wearing what everyone else is, and I don't blame you there. If your area has a bunch of them, then it's not unique if you're trying to wear something you won't see on a wrist at every street corner. As much as I like the Rolex brand (I've got 2 two) I'd stay away if you don't want to be just another Joe there (assuming I've read your comments accurately). Of course, Rolex will give you your best resale value if you should ever change your mind & want a different watch.

IWC is a great brand also (I own 1 of), and another I'm very fond of. However, they only have 2 or 3 that I'd consider 'robust' enough for your activities. Bracelet versions (stainless steel) will run you $4500 or so in the sized you want (38-39mm). They do have a rose gold version, but it is not available on a bracelet - only leather. it's also 42mm. They're in the Pilot watch models.

That brings me to Breitling. I think the choice of a Montbrillant is excellent given what you're looking for. Robust , sporty & classy all at once. The looks good with jeans & a tee-shirt, and the right model (gold or two-tones) can be dressed up with a suit too. You don't see them everywhere (though their recognition & base is growing in the US) and usually only someone who knows watches or owns one will recognize it. I'm a big fan of the brand, as you can see in my signature... :thumbup1:

You do have a few options in the Navitimer line. Keeping with your desire for a smaller watch (say less than 42mm), you have the Montbrillant (38mm - isn't it funny how a 38mm is now 'midsize?), The standard Navitimer (41.8mm) and the Cosmonaute (41.5mm). The reason I throw those other 2 to you is you can two-tone models in the Navitimer & Cosmonaut too. Though the two-tone models are steel & yellow gold, not rose. I really like the Montbrilliant in rose gold. A very nice sport watch that can also be dressed up.

You are right, you won't want to use the leather straps for water sports, and the life of them will be greatly reduced using them in summer months or 'heavy work'. However, Breitling makes an extremely strong & robust strap, one of the best for 'rough-wear' in the industry IMO. They have to. They market the watches as instruments, so you need stregth & durability. But, no leather is ever going to come close to steel or golds life. However, there are many great 3rd party straps designed for Breitlings that are water proof and far cheaper. So even if you replaced them yearly (which is unlikely) they aren't so much that it would hurt.

You also have some options in the other Breitling lines to. The Cockpit is a georgeous sport & dress watch. it's a 41mm, but wears as a 40mm. If that's still too big, they offer a chrono version of it that's 39mm. Another thing I like is it's one of the few Breitlings available in a two tone with rose gold instead of yellow. VERY nice looking. It's also availbale in solid rose gold too. Here's a picture of one of my favorites:

I would caution against a gold bracelet in the sports you described. As you know it's much softer than steel, and it'll stratch up. But your thought of switching between the bracelet & steel is a great option. Plus, you almost get 2 watches that way. I'm a big fan of switching the straps / bracelets on my watches.

To the price, here's the Breitling prices in the US (all prices in USD). Note, there will be a Breitling price increase mid-April. Percentages aren't published yet.

Montbrillant in rose gold on croco strap: $11,600
Montbrillant in steel on SS bracelet: $5,120
Montbrillant in steel with leather strap: $4,070

Navitimer steel & yellow gold case with leather strap: $4,990
Navitimer steel & yellow gold on steel & yellow gold bracelet: $7,340
Navitimer in rose gold on croco strap: $13,075

Cosmonaut steel & yellow gold case on leather strap: $5,050
Cosmonaut steel & yellow gold case on steel & yellow gold bracelet: $7,400

Cockpit in steel & rose gold case on rose gold & steel bracelet: $6,835
Cockpit in steel & rose gold case on leatehr strap: $4,610
If you wanted to add the rose gold bracelet, the bracelet price is about $10,000.

Discounts off these prices in the US can be had around 15% or so pretty regularly. With work, maybe even a little better.

I see you also posted in the Breitling forum, so I'll duplicate the prices there for you. If you've got any other questions, do ask away... :thumbup1:

Good luck in the decision & do let us know wht you go with!!!

PS - do look for a Private Message from me in a few minutes. The PM's are in the upper right corner of your screen.. :thumbup1:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Scott thanks for the additional info and PM much appreciated. I'll try on and look at both the Navitimer and the Cosmonaute, i'll look more at the Navi as I do like the rose gold finish the best followed by the all steel only at this stage, the two tone stuff isn't for me. The extra size with them may work just nice so I'll defiantly look into it..

For rough wear/ water/ sports- what sort of strap to you recommend do you know a good cool looking rubber/ military style/ canvas strap for Breitling?

Also as a side note could i get a custom lower grade rose gold bracelet in the mean time as eventually i want the original full Breitling rose gold bracelet to match (if i went the with rose gold casing) but it'll be some time before I will be able to spend the extra 10k for it. So is it possible/ viable/ recommendable to get a custom made/ after market gold bracelet till i can get the original?

I'll let you know what I end up going with but i'm not going to rush into anything, i'm going to hang around for a while until fully ready :] so it may be several weeks before I make a final call as i'm kinda new to this world...

But thanks again to all, your all very helpful and informative..

Cheers

·
Registered
540 Posts
Interesting thread...

I can't figure out what to suggest because at 19, one is either schooling or at the very least, has a very active lifestyle. Too much bling on the wrist brings more inconvenience than enjoyment in such circumstances.

Watches worn in my teens/early 20s were thoroughly abused so that's something to consider.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Scott's the man for Breitling around here (as you might notice from his signature). Vandice has a point in that you'll want a beater for day-to-day. Bring out the "big watch" for the ladies. :001_wub:

I personally am hoping for you to get a Glashutte Original model. There are only a couple forum members with them and they are very handsome pieces! I think that the brand might suffer from not being Swiss (GO is German).

Personally my next watch will be a high end Seiko, but right after that I'm seriously considering a GO for a nice dress piece.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts