WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi. I have just purchased a 1970s Mans Rolled Gold LED watch, it has no makers name on it anywhere, however it does have a small logo and " base metal bezel" " stainless back" " USA" engraved on the case back. The logo looks like ld inside a circle, the movement looks like it could be made by Fairchild. Would anyone be able to tell me if this is a watch that was produced by Hughes ? I believe they are a branch of the Hughes Aircraft company. I am going to see if I can add some pictures soon.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I have no idea if this helps.
It seems that Fairchild produced the LED display and Hughes produced the LED modules

In 1976, Hughes Aircraft Co. was the world's largest producer of LED modules with 1.5 million pieces.

Who cased it? I have no idea

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
I also came across this

View attachment 17139

It would as seem that Hughes sold the complete watch to others for re branding
Welcome to the American Forum Dennis!
Here is an easy tutorial on posting pix

http://www.watchtalkforums.info/foru...st-photos.html

Nice Barry!

My uncle works for Texas Instruments and I had one of their
early LED's when I was a kid...

They sucked battery life, but were SO incredibly cool for their time.

A few companies are bringing them back as "Retro" watches!

·
Registered
667 Posts
Leading on from RJ, I found this posting

The Hamilton Pulsar
John Bergey, former president of Hamilton's Pulsar division, still laughs when he remembers the 1970 press conference announcing the new Hamilton Pulsar watch. He and his Hamilton colleagues had to keep slipping out of reporters' sight to change the watch's batteries. The watch had a nifty new type of display that showed the time not with hands and a dial but with bright red numerals. The light-up display was something to see. But you couldn't see it for long, because it drained the watch's power dry in just a few minutes

Hamilton Pulsar.jpg

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I had an LED watch when they first came out. Actually, I was the first on the "block" to have one. I begged my parents for it and they gave in reluctantly. They never spoiled us back then!

I can't remember the brand or if it even had one, but it was definetly cool - about $100 worth of cool, which was big bucks back then. Unfortunately for me (and my parents!) the price plummeted in about 6 months to about $15-20 bucks! Boy, I never heard the end of that one!:laugh:

Yeah, they became pretty commonplace rather quickly and so the price dropped drastically. Not one of my smarter purchases, but it sure was fun while it lasted!:001_unsure:

Thanks for the memories!:thumbup1:

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
Dennis...

That is really cool stuff!

I will have to go digging deep to see if mine is still around...

Thanks for the great photos,

I love these LEDs, they bring back such fond memories:thumbup:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Dennis...

That is really cool stuff!

I will have to go digging deep to see if mine is still around...

Thanks for the great photos,

I love these LEDs, they bring back such fond memories:thumbup:
Hi RJ.
I also had one of these watches when they first came out in the mid 60s, the one big drawback with them was that when in regular use they would eat through the batteries, so I did not keep it for long and changed to an LCD when they became available, I still have that watch, It's an " Orient " LCD.
I have done a lot of research since putting this watch on here and I am now quite sure that is a " Hughes " watch, made by the Hughes Aircraft Co.and made about 1967. In this condition I would think it would be a really sought after collectable watch. If you know anyone that collects LED watches and wants to make me an offer I just can't refuse, I'm sure I could be persuaded to part with it. 001_smile:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts