WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I'm torn by this. Its our money anyway and we're giddy like school girls at a Beatles concert to get it back.

There is something wrong when a democracy just starts paying people for votes.

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
Lovely, I get some of my own money back and people who paid no taxes get $300.:scared::scared:
Yea - I'm not so sure I agree with that consession. How can you call it a "refund" when you didn't pay anything to begin with? Sounds to me like they made it a condition & rather than fight it out, they caved to expedite the process. After all, they had to wrap it up in time to make the 6 o'clock news..... :glare:

·
Registered
885 Posts
Yea - I'm not so sure I agree with that consession. How can you call it a "refund" when you didn't pay anything to begin with? Sounds to me like they made it a condition & rather than fight it out, they caved to expedite the process. After all, they had to wrap it up in time to make the 6 o'clock news..... :glare:
Scott- I am not so sure I will get any of my money back. According to the article my family may not quailfy for some of those things. Truly sad. All it means to me is that I get to give away more of my money without reason.

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
Scott- I am not so sure I will get any of my money back. According to the article my family may not quailfy for some of those things. Truly sad. All it means to me is that I get to give away more of my money without reason.

I didn't read it 100%. Let me guess.... There's a max income cap? :sad: :huh:

·
Banned
927 Posts
While I look forward to receiving the money, it seems like giving a band-aid to someone who just cut off their arm, and I guess we'll borrow the $150 or so billion from the Chinese to make this happen.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I think I am in the same boat. Even though I pay a good amount in taxes, I am retired and have no earned income and no longer pay into Social Security.

Guess all those years they took money I sorely needed no longer count.

Wonder if this payout will be abused like many of the NO cash cards.

The Liberal Politicians have bankrupted this country and giving our own money back to some of us isnt the answer. That needs some hard lines drawn into the sand and no one has the guts to do it for fear of not getting elected again.

·
Banned
927 Posts
I think I am in the same boat. Even though I pay a good amount in taxes, I am retired and have no earned income and no longer pay into Social Security.

Guess all those years they took money I sorely needed no longer count.

Wonder if this payout will be abused like many of the NO cash cards.

The Liberal Politicians have bankrupted this country and giving our own money back to some of us isnt the answer. That needs some hard lines drawn into the sand and no one has the guts to do it for fear of not getting elected again.
The war in Iraq has cost US almost a TRILLION dollars if I'm not mistaken, and I believe that can be attributed to a so-called conservative Republican. I also recall a HUGE budget surplus whan Clinton left office, that has now been replaced with an equally HUGE deficit.

And if you watched the announcement yesterday, Bush was given credit repeatedly for starting the bipartisan working arrangement to make this latest budget drain happen.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'm torn by this. Its our money anyway and we're giddy like school girls at a Beatles concert to get it back.

i feel the same way about gas prices, the other day i was "gushing" about paying 2.93 per gallon of gas.:001_rolleyes:

·
Registered
646 Posts
The war in Iraq has cost US almost a TRILLION dollars if I'm not mistaken, and I believe that can be attributed to a so-called conservative Republican. I also recall a HUGE budget surplus whan Clinton left office, that has now been replaced with an equally HUGE deficit.
I'm sorry, I have a problem with this. I don't dispute the deficit under W nor am I going to argue the merits/demerits of going into Iraq, but a Clinton "budget surplus" doesn't mean much when the national debt when Clinton left office was approximately $5.7 trillion dollars. http://www.treasurydirect.gov/NP/NPGateway IMHO, it's hard to say there is a budget surplus when the debt grew $1.6 trillion dollars. Also, that "surplus" was already in a free fall and virtually gone by the time Bush took office. http://www.treasurydirect.gov/NP/NPGateway Finally, given Clinton's propensity to twisting, mangling, and averting the truth it makes me wonder if that "surplus" was ever really there.

Now again I'm not going to argue whether or not we should be in Iraq, but since that was brought up, to MAX's point I'd like to note that the Defense Dept. budget is still third behind those of Health and Human Svcs (first) and Social Security (second). http://www.federalbudget.com/

Happy Friday! :thumbup:

·
Banned
927 Posts
I'm sorry, I have a problem with this. I don't dispute the deficit under W nor am I going to argue the merits/demerits of going into Iraq, but a Clinton "budget surplus" doesn't mean much when the national debt when Clinton left office was approximately $5.7 trillion dollars. http://www.treasurydirect.gov/NP/NPGateway IMHO, it's hard to say there is a budget surplus when the debt grew $1.6 trillion dollars. Also, that "surplus" was already in a free fall and virtually gone by the time Bush took office. http://www.treasurydirect.gov/NP/NPGateway Finally, given Clinton's it makes me wonder if that "surplus" was ever really there.

Now again I'm not going to argue whether or not we should be in Iraq, but since that was brought up, to MAX's point I'd like to note that the Defense Dept. budget is still third behind those of Health and Human Svcs (first) and Social Security (second). http://www.federalbudget.com/

Happy Friday! :thumbup:
And what about all of Bush's "propensity to twisting, mangling, and averting the truth"... regarding just about everything, but mainly our going to war?

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
Hey guys...

Found this - thought it was relevant..

By Dexter's Dictionary:

Politician -
Someone with an unnatural & superb ability to twist, mangle, and avert the truth to best suit their agenda & platform as easily as a normal citizen breathes air

And we're surprised they twist the truths?!?! :lol: :lol: :lol: :laugh:

·
Banned
927 Posts
Hey guys...

Found this - thought it was relevant..

By Dexter's Dictionary:

Politician -
Someone with an unnatural & superb ability to twist, mangle, and avert the truth to best suit their agenda & platform as easily as a normal citizen breathes air

And we're surprised they twist the truths?!?! :lol: :lol: :lol: :laugh:
:lol::thumbup::lol::thumbup:

·
Registered
646 Posts
And what about all of Bush's "propensity to twisting, mangling, and averting the truth"... regarding just about everything, but mainly our going to war?

Well, if Bush lied then so did all of these people:
President Bill Clinton
VP Al Gore
Sec of State Albright
NSA Sandy Burger
Senators Graham, Kerry, Daschle, Levin, Kennedy, Byrd, Rockerfeller, Clinton
Representatives Pelosi and Waxman
http://www.snopes.com/politics/war/wmdquotes.asp

I far from believe that Bush walks on water - I don't have that kind of faith in anyone, let alone a politician - but I do believe that Clinton turns it rancid.

Doug

·
Registered
646 Posts
It's a "rebate" check, not a refund. It's all in the verbiage. There, doesn't that make it better? Didn't think so. :glare:

·
Banned
927 Posts
Well, if Bush lied then so did all of these people:
President Bill Clinton
VP Al Gore
Sec of State Albright
NSA Sandy Burger
Senators Graham, Kerry, Daschle, Levin, Kennedy, Byrd, Rockerfeller, Clinton
Representatives Pelosi and Waxman
http://www.snopes.com/politics/war/wmdquotes.asp

I far from believe that Bush walks on water - I don't have that kind of faith in anyone, let alone a politician - but I do believe that Clinton turns it rancid.

Doug
We could go on and on, but we'll obviously not reach a common ground on this, but...

At least the alleged lies of those people (funny that they're all Democrats) did not cost us what is politically correctly referred to as our "national treasure", which sounds alot better than billions of dollars, and over 3,000 dead and 30,000 wounded fellow Americans.

Funny you didn't mention Cheney, Powell, Libby, Gonzalez and all of the other Bush cronies who perpetuated the lies and deceptions of one of the most corrupt and inept administrations ever, who are responsible for our current situastion and the way we are now perceived by the rest of the world.

I'm through on this topic, as this is a watch forum, and I think we'd be better off sticking to that.

By the way.... where's Koimaster (Alain)? Haven't seen him around lately. I'd bet he'd be interested in this topic.

·
Registered
646 Posts
@Randy,
You're right, we're not going to agree and it's not worth arguing this to the point of developing any animosity towards each other. So we disagree, no big deal. Moving on...

Koi must be on vacation since he hasn't posted anything at all lately. Good for him if he is.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts